Topic: Aly and Phil

Well last night's concert with Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham was superb!!
They were joined on stage wit hthe Royal scottish national orchestra.
Also Eddie reader ( the singer from the 80's band fairground attraction) was there and three young girls from Elgin , Scotland ( i think they might be the first students in Scotland to get a degree in music for folk music,, also Scotland is the first ever country in the world to give out such a degree)

Aly and Phile were super and had some good banter on stage, slagging each other off a few times in between songs.
The conductor for the orchestra , Gary Walker done a tremendious job. He was making the orchestra play along with Aly and Phil, instread of having them join in with the orchestra.
Aly done an old song called "day dawn" it is ab out 400-500 years old but sounded so modern.

Eddie Reader has a tremendious voice and if she never talked I would have thought it ok for he to be on stage. I just thought she was a bit full of herself, But her singing was superb!

These three young girls, or very yong women were astounding!!
They wrote their own songs, there was one on the fiddle one playing the accordian ( she was the main songwriter) and one on the guitar ( that could blow me away wit hher guitar playing)
I think people ( definitley in scotland at least) are going to see more of them in the future. I dont know exactly what age they are but at a guess I would say 14 - 17.  I never caught what they called themselves but top class!

So, had a great night and only had one pint so I was sober for the entire show.

I will go back next year

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending