Topic: SONGS COVERED, AND BETTER or worse THAN THE ORIGINAL

I think this might be interesting to know, but that's up to you too.
What I did is listen, and judge. There are songs you will be amazed about the original performer, and you will like the cover-version too, and judge. What I like is subjective, I like it or not. So hit the road doc:
- COME TOGETHER by The Beatles, covered by a lot of bands, but best cover, NOT BETTER than the original is by AEROSMITH.
- WILD THING: written by CHIP TAYLOR, yes who is he? A C&W Artist, real name: VOIGHT (do I hear a little bell?) yes the brother of Jon, who is the father of Angelina Jolie. The cover was far more known: WILD THING by the TROGGS. Taylor's WILD THING was more a "persiflage", it is put in the mouth of a senator, you can see a version by CHIP TAYLOR on YOUTUBE, and what I didn't know was that JIMI HENDRIX covered the song, see, hear and tell.
SEE AND HEAR CHIP TAYLOR, AND JIMI HENDRIX (Man is he great, UNBELIEVABLE
- LOVE IS ALL AROUND: written by the TROGGS but for a lot of us better in the WET WET WET version. Reg Presley (name of the frontman of the Troggs told that he earned so many money thanks to those guys that his retirement was guaranteed, even for family).
- GIRL, YOU'LL BE A WOMAN SOON by NEIL DIAMOND, and here "VERY SUBJECTIVE" also covered by URGE OVERKILL and world famous again. DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE IS BETTER. Neil Diamond is still writing but urge overkill?
- I'M A BELIEVER by NEIL DIAMOND, but the cover by the MONKEES is better.
- MR TAMBOURINE MAN by BOB "ZIMMERMAN" DYLAN, COVERED by the BYRDS (Again which is better?) I like DYLAN, in his acoustic days, the "Dylan" version is calm, relaxing.
- ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER by DYLAN but a FANTASTIC COVER by JIMI HENDRIX
- OBLADI OBLADA by the BEATLES, and almost at the same time covered by MARMALADE.
- WITHOUT YOU (Surprise surprise, because there are not so many people knowing this) by BADFINGER, with a FANTASTIC COVER by Harry Nilsson, and a PLASTIC Cover by MARIAH CAREY
- SUZY Q originally by DALE HAWKINS but a Fantastic job by CCR.
So you can go on.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: SONGS COVERED, AND BETTER or worse THAN THE ORIGINAL

I'm A Believer - I don't believe the Neil Diamond version was ever released, so not sure this really counts.

Obladi Oblada - Part of the Beatles Surfeit of riches, 'album tracks' like this were given away to other groups to have hits with rather than make them actual Beatles singles. I think the Tremeloes got gifted with 'Here Comes The Sun' about the same time.

Suzi Q - was something of a band staple and was covered alot in th 60s/70s. James Burton did a fine instrumental version on 'The Guitar Sounds Of James Burton' (recorded when a session was booked for Elvis's band Sweet Inspirations et al and then Elvis failed to show).

Hendrix's Wild Thing - Jimi got tired of playing the same old set very quickly so would cover hit songs of the day often with little preparation. His versions were more of a springboard for improvisation but it certainly showcased his huge range as did his 'Sergeant Peppers'.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

the monkees music was at first recorded by studio musicians they mimed the instruments,perhaps millie vinnile picked up on this.oddly mickey dolenz who sang "im a believer"and "last train to clarksville" had a great voice to this day i haven't heard a cover that is as good. acapo

"Growing old is not for sissies"

i think that amy winehouse done a better version of valarie than the zutons also fine young cannibals done a better version of suspicious minds than elvis

problems are only solutions in work clothes smile

Nick Lowe's "What's So Funny 'bout Peace, Love, and Understanding?" was redone brilliantly by Elvis Costello.
Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away" was mastered by The Grateful Dead. Along with Woody Guthries' "Going Down The Road Feelin' Bad" the Dead closed many of their shows with these two fine tunes.
Hank Williams' "Move It On Over" was redone quite well by George Thorogood and The Deleware Destroyers.
Keb Mo has redone many songs and I have yet to hear one that doesn't sound like his own creation. Some include; Imagine(J.Lennon), Times They Are A Changin'(Dylan), Folsom Prison Blues(J.Cash) Isn't She Lovely(S.Wonder), and many more.
Van Halen's cover tunes from Diver Down I loved!!! You Really Got Me, Dancin' In The Streets, and my fav, Big Bad Bill is Sweet William Now. These guys were at the top of their game and it was nice to hear their versions of influential music that  from which Van Halen was created.
Now for the bad;
Guns and Roses destroyed Dylans' "Knockin' on Heavens Door." Axl was doing his best Michael Bolton impersonation in this effort. Can someone say oversing? Geeez
Michael Bolton butchered Percy Sledges' "When A Man Loves a Woman". See previous sentence.
Limp Bizcuit freeze dried The Whos' "Behind Blue Eyes". Those guys came and went fast, thank gawd!
Jimmy Buffetts' version of Crosby, Stills, and Nashs' "Southern Cross" misses the mark badly as well. Jimmy Buffett is a great songwriter but his vocal abilities are not suited for CS&N's style.

Give everything but up.

To CYTANIA, and of course all people who answered this topic. Let's see if we find the Neil Diamond (original), I check on Amazon, so it keeps me busy. And SUSPICIOUS MINDS by ELVIS isn't the original (At least the MELODY not written by WILLIE NELSON?). Until now everything goes fine, in the way I like it, a few lists of WRITERS of the Original, followed by COVERS
AND no really a list, my intention was dear fellow chordians that this is a kind of PRO and CONTRA, also to find information about groups, quit popular, like tha_musicman wrote, I mean that we can be surprised by IS THAT THE SONG? As I wrote as comment WITHOUT YOU best cover (maybe in the whole music business, HARRY NILSSON FANTASTIC, rhyming on PLASTIC: Mariah Carey. Why PLASTIC? It is not straight from the heart
Oh another one BOWIE or COBAIN: THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD. I love both, but COBAIN'S version is again a "scream, from deep inside. That's how I see it. I really hope that you can look (like I did), at some of these songs on youtube (where you see Chip Taylor, he really looks like Jon Voight, and Hendrix performing WILD THING.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Interesting topic . The only one I can think of is Matt Minglewood's version of   Marshall Tucker's "Can't You See".

...Badeye.

one caper after another

SouthPaw, are we speaking of THE FADE AWAY, LIKE FADE AWAY by ROLLING STONES??

In my humble opinion, Aerosmith's Come Together was better than The Beatles.

Sinead O'Connor was better than Prince on Nothing Compares 2U

The Bangles were better than Prince on Manic Monday.

Led Zeppelin were better than Rolf Harris on Stairway to Heaven!

Cheers

I'm the son of rage and love

Oh Yeah, Bauhaus did a cracking version of Ziggy Stardust but better than Bowie?  Hard to say

I'm the son of rage and love

Shinedown did a great version of Skynyrd's Simple Man

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Jimmy Buffett has done a lot of covers, and while they are usually not "better" than the original, he always brings his distinctive style to them.  Two covers he's done that I particularly like are Hank Williams' 'Hey Good Lookin'' and Stephen Stills' 'Treetop Flyer' and I don't remember whose 'Everybody's Talking' (I know the most famous version of it was done by Harry Nillson but for some reason think that he was doing a cover too).  I did not much care for Jimmy Buffett's cover of James Talyor's 'Mexico' or the aforementioned CSN "Southern Cross." 

I recently put together a mixed CD for myself to use in the car and as I was listening, it occurred to me that it had a LOT of covers on it.  I like covers.  I think my favorite on it is Luther Allison's version of the Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want."  Incredible.

Nearly everyone has covered "All Along the Watchtower".  There is, of course, the ubiquitous Jimi Hendrix version, but Indigo Girls and Larry McCray have recorded kick-butt versions as well as others I don't recall. 

Covers are constant in Country Music.  In Rock, I think there's an expectation that the recording artist has written the song.  But in Country Music, it's more common that there are performing artists and writers, and they aren't always the same.  For instance, Willie Nelson wrote "Crazy", but it was first recorded by Patsy Cline.  Then later, Willie Nelson did a cover of his own song.  Crazy indeed.  "Sunday Morning Coming Down" was written by Kris Kristofferson, but made famous by Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash as covers.  Kris Kristofferson also wrote and first performed "Me and Bobbie McGee".  He was working as a janitor as a recording studio at the time and had a crush on the receptionist, named Bobbie.  I think he added the McGee to make it work.  Anyway, he wrote it and recorded it.  The infamous version by Janis Joplin is a cover, and for my money far preferential to Kris Kristofferson's original. 

Shawn Colvin did a great cover of The Police's "Every Little Thing You Do is Magic."  She completely turned it into her own vehicle.  I love it when people can do that.  Take a song and perform it, but in their own style.  Just terrific.   The Duhks did a Sting cover on their first album, but I'll be darned if I recall which song.  I prefer their version, even though I liked Sting's version very well. 

So many good songs out there.  It's a shame to hear them performed only one way, or to allow them to become lost once an artist passes. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Although I think Bob Dylan is a fantastic songwriter and also I tihnk he has a excellent unique singing voice, I have to say i tihn kall his songs that other bands cover are better than his versions.

red hot chili peppers with  Subterranean homesick blues.
the byrds with tamborine man
Clapton and guns n roses with knocking on heavens door
like a rolling stone with rolling stones
quinn the eskimo with manfred mann
and all along the watchtower by jimmy

probably a lot more but thats all I can think of right now

also,
red hot chili peppers doing cross town traffic better than jimmy
live and let die with guns and roses better than wings.
seasons in the sun by terry jacks is better with me first and the gimme gimmes

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

UYK, I know a lot of Dylan covers, how many artists covered Blowin' in the wind? It is on a café/bar in New York that he played 2 verses, AND telling people this was NOT a protestsong, but now it is considered as best "protestsong" ever. Who determines this? CRITICS? I believe in critics, but now these days you can hear, find, listen to every song. In stead of throwing with mud and claiming that album X is the worst, and more idiot, THEY know what the lyrics mean. If I write: I was eating an apple o so red, that the maggot in it felt on my head, baby, oh baby what a nice maggot. This is a silly example, and, let's say I play in a famous band or alone, I say the truth, just some words, but critics are busy and get a headache, to analyse the lyrics, to link it with Freud, Jung.
Some covers are fantastic, much better than the original.

hmm
What about With a Little Help From my Friends by the Beatles, covered by Joe Cocker.  I mean it definetly has its place is Sgt Peppers, but I think it really contributes to the overall album.  But Cocker's version, with the organ intro and everything, especially the Woodstock version, gives me shivers.

Black Magic Woman by Fleetwood Mac, didnt really go too far, but Santana's version is ridiculous.

Blinded by the Light originally by Bruce Springsteen, made famous with an awesome version by Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

I don't remember whose 'Everybody's Talking'

Fred Neill wrote it- don't know that he ever recorded it, though.

[url]www.freerice.com[/url]

Eva Cassidy's versions of Judy Garland's "Over The Rainbow" and Sting's "Fields Of Barley" were, in my opinion, far better than the originals.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

ShadyWilbury wrote:

Harry Nillson recorded it and the beautiful south covered it. Both excellent as each other I think

also the other harry song, Cant live without you, dreadfully covered by some woman singer.
harry is better on that one

KEn

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Here's a twist - Which of Clapton's many covers are worse than the originals. I like Marley's I Shot The Sherriff, JJ Cale's Cocaine, all of the Robert Johnson originals (although recordings are obviously lousy). But I think Eric improved all of them. Very rare for me at least, 99% of the time, I say the original is best.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

i would hope after 50 years ther would be an improvment

Roger Guppy wrote:

Eva Cassidy's versions of Judy Garland's "Over The Rainbow" and Sting's "Fields Of Barley" were, in my opinion, far better than the originals.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

21 (edited by johncross21 2007-12-06 00:04:56)

Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley better than Leonard Cohen - to use it in Shrek was barking mad genuis

Hurt by Johnny cash - very different from the Nine Inch Nails version - and what a fantastic interpretation

stepping stone by the Sex pistols very different from the monkees

Easy like Sunday morning by Faith no more an interesting take on the Commodores

ShadyWilbury wrote:

Harry Nillson did it

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

Bryan Ferry's  " A hard rain " is brilliant Far better than Bob's im afraid

gitaardocphil wrote:

UYK, I know a lot of Dylan covers, how many artists covered Blowin' in the wind? It is on a café/bar in New York that he played 2 verses, AND telling people this was NOT a protestsong, but now it is considered as best "protestsong" ever. Who determines this? CRITICS? I believe in critics, but now these days you can hear, find, listen to every song. In stead of throwing with mud and claiming that album X is the worst, and more idiot, THEY know what the lyrics mean. If I write: I was eating an apple o so red, that the maggot in it felt on my head, baby, oh baby what a nice maggot. This is a silly example, and, let's say I play in a famous band or alone, I say the truth, just some words, but critics are busy and get a headache, to analyse the lyrics, to link it with Freud, Jung.
Some covers are fantastic, much better than the original.

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

Speaking of Joe Cocker (somebody was), his version of Dave Mason's "Feeling Alright" blows away the original. 

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

How about the Hayseed Dixie cover of Green Days "Holiday"?