Topic: I need some stumming help PLZ

I am having problems with strumming, specially when i sing, i get all mixed up when i start to sing, I have been playing guitar for about a year and can hardly play every rose has its thorn, i dont know how to strum when i start singing I would appreciate any help you can also email me at acousticplyr321@yahoo.com

thanks

Re: I need some stumming help PLZ

"every rose has its thorn" think of your picking hand as a time keeper for this song strum down to start 1....2.....3......4.....count and strum at the same time once you get that down you can start singing the song.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

thanks for the help do i strum the patter and then count, will this guitar ever make sense to me at all

count and strum at the same time soon you will get a feel for what "time" in music is.start slow and speed up gradually you soon will have to strum down and up that can be counted 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and or d=down u=up so you have d u/ d u/ d u/ d u/ is this clear? i hope so if not i cant explain it any other way. a number of lessons are offered free on u tube mabey someone who has the link can direct you.good luck

"Growing old is not for sissies"

5 (edited by petermiss 2007-12-11 14:26:39)

Hi Acoustic!
I've been playing a year now and sometimes I have the same problem as you. You strum the patern til you feel you know it, start singing and the barain goes into panic mode... Nothing works.

At first I solved the problem by learning a simple strum pattern (d d u u du). Played that til I could do it in my sleep and used it for ALL 4/4 songs. It works but it doesn't allways sound right. When you get more familiar with the strumming you can test new styles.

Here is a site that gives you some reading abot strumming:
http://www.grouptherapy.guernsey.net/strumming.html

For the every rose i found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6moPFkgdK0

It's not optimal for learning the strum but you can hear it, and see hes strumming hand.

There was a great video on the song at nextlevelguitar.com but I just found out that those videos arn't free any more...

Hope it helps...

/Missen

If you love what you do, there's no need to be good at it...

I've never had this problem because I can't sing with a dern.  Actually, I sing great, but I have a range of about 3 notes.
I just sing in my head--sounds incredible...I have a whole band up there that plays along with me.  We have a good time.
yes, that sounds psyco, but I KNOW you all do it too.

25Frankster - I do it too.  No question.  Plus I'm way more handsome in my brain.

Acousticplyrsomenumberorother - It's a lot easier if you don't care about getting it right.  Accept that you are an amateur with one year experience and the folks who recorded the song on the album are professionals with many more years experience, and you'll soon cut yourself some slack. 

Plus, practice.  And take it easy on yourself.  It's supposed to be fun.  Concentrate on what you can do (like fingering chords, or moving between chords) and PRACTICE what you can't do YET until you can do it.  Once you get the basic skills of fingering chords and moving between then and some semblance of pick or finger control, THEN you need to practice the song a gazillion times.  Eventually, you learn new songs much more quickly.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

try getting a metrodome or a cheap keyboard that has drum beat for back ground i made a drum out of an old suitcase hung a tamborine on it and use it when i play solo bbuutt pratice is the most important thing you can do jam with other people some better some worse than you it really helps
randy

always pickin someting

One way I find myself practicing strum patterns to a song is listening to the radio (or CD) while driving. I keep a thin pick on my console and as the song plays I strum across my chest. Since I usually drive about 800 miles a week I have plenty of time to do this. By listening to the "beat" of a song and counting in your head you can come up with the strum patterns quickly. I listen mainly to the older country songs and the strum patterns for 4/4 time is usually:

Down.....Down.....Up.....Down.....Up.....Down......Up
    1            2         &          3         &          4          &

OR

Down.....Down.....Up.....Down.....Down......Up
    1            2         &          3            4          &

OR

Down.....Up.....Down.......Up.....Down....Up.....Down.......Up
    1         &          2           &          3        &          4           &

To me 3/4 time gets a little more difficult:

Down.....Down.....Down
    1            2            3

OR

Down......Down.....Up.....Down
    1             2         &          3

Then comes the "Triplet"
And I have not quite mastered this, yet.

Nela

learn to breathe properly, this really helps a lot , loads of exercises on the web

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel GarcĂ­a Marquez

I use too have the same problem..the only why I could correct it was to stop singing...No seriously, now..I did have that problem and actually I still do..to a point..I never have that problem with songs I already know...BUT...When I was trying someting new..it was horrible and the reason, I think, why is this....Here you are, reading the lyrics, trying too make chord changes and play in some sort of rhythm you barely know..Heck..sounds hard just writing it...because it is...What I've done is now I listen to the CD while driving and learn the lyrics first...then I learn it on the guitar...It works for me...Try it....You got nothing to lose but your mind...

John

Hi Acoustic
The thing that I did when I first started playing about 6 years ago was to only concentrate on songs that I knew very well.  In that way the melody and the lyrics were already hard-wired into my brain and needed very little effort to get right.

The other mistake I frequently make is to think that all songs sound better when played at the original tempo or indeed faster.  Slow it right down and the effect can be very pleasing at the same time as making the song easier to master.

Keep at it, all the best.

John

I used this site when I was learning strumming patterns, etc ... as for the singing part I know what you mean ... I sing but combining it with the playing was throwing me off ... I'm still learning to put the two together but it comes in time ... once your fingers know the chords by muscle memory, it'll get easier

Hope this helps!

http://www.justinguitar.com/

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75