Topic: For the New Guitarist

First of all, I'm new to Chordie...What a great web site!! I read a few questions from new guitarist yesterday..got me thinking about when I made the choice of learning how too play years ago..Start out with simple songs...once your happy with your progress...move to the next level and so on...You have to learn how to crawl before you can walk and walk before you run..Playing a musical instrument is no different..I learned from watching my father ( he played the old country) when I was a kid..Fortunately, I was blessed with an decent ear for music and leaned most of the songs I know today with playing along with the record, (no CD's back then) method..Athough now I just go to Chordie!! I haven't played on a regular basis for years..hence my user name Backagain61. I just got the urge to start playing again and found out how diffucult playing can be..But..I enjoy it...my band days have long since passed so now I play for my own enjoyment..For you new guitarist..Ricky Nelson said it best in "Garden Party"..You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself."

Good Luck to all of you!!

Re: For the New Guitarist

Hi backagain and welcome to the chordie forum.

Hope to see more posts, we are all here to help each other, from beginners to advanced. yep even advanced player ask the odd question.
And also there is a lot of chat,banter and word games in the chordie chat section.
And if you write any of your own songs and feel like sharing them to get opinions then there is a songwriters section.

Cheers

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

backagain61 dont feel like you dont belong im 66 and i wont stop playing till the close my lid so climb aboard and welcome,if you need any pointers or help your in the right place there's a lotta good pickers on chordie and you can ask away.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hey Ken, thanks for your comments! Only question I have at the moments is about TABS...I don't quite remember that term from years ago...I've figured it out but was just wondering..

upyerkilt wrote:

Hi backagain and welcome to the chordie forum.

Hope to see more posts, we are all here to help each other, from beginners to advanced. yep even advanced player ask the odd question.
And also there is a lot of chat,banter and word games in the chordie chat section.
And if you write any of your own songs and feel like sharing them to get opinions then there is a songwriters section.

Cheers

ken

Hey Russell, thanks for your comments...I am actually enjoying the process of playing..Fingers are finally callousing up...can play for about hour and 15 minutes before it gets uncomfortable..What type of music did you start out playing or follow? Me...the Beatles and rest of the British groups...then the Eagles..Since there really isn't any Rock & Roll anymore, I've moved over to County..which is pretty much like the Eagles..Groups like Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban etc...

John

Russell_Harding wrote:

backagain61 dont feel like you dont belong im 66 and i wont stop playing till the close my lid so climb aboard and welcome,if you need any pointers or help your in the right place there's a lotta good pickers on chordie and you can ask away.

backagain i started with buddy holly ,little richard,link ray,elvis,all the groups of the fifties and then the beatles i agree i think after the late 70ths most roc and roll morphed into crap so i went in another direction,actually several i write and record and still practice everyday so i dont have to worry about the calluses.

Hey Russell,
Agree about rock/roll...what a shame...Not sure why I thought of this..but..maybe because of the "oldies you wrote...the very first song I learned was an old Ventures tune..Apache..Boy  that brings back the old memories! I figure within the next 30 days the fingers will be fine..I play every day for at least an hour..just wanted to share...Thanks

John

Russell_Harding wrote:

backagain i started with buddy holly ,little richard,link ray,elvis,all the groups of the fifties and then the beatles i agree i think after the late 70ths most roc and roll morphed into crap so i went in another direction,actually several i write and record and still practice everyday so i dont have to worry about the calluses.

Well I am 53 and I just started playing about a month ago. Getting callouses on the fingers but still can't go more than 30 minutes or so at a time. I too liked the 50's-60's and some early 70's rock and roll. Doobie Brothers, Eagles, Beatles, Elvis, CCR, Three Dog Night were some of my favorites. I also liked some old country and bluegrass with a little of old time gospel thrown in. Hope to learn to play some country music maybe a little rock n roll.  If you have any pointers for old new guy let me know.

Maury

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

backagain61 i used to play apache for soc hops as they were called "walk dont run" santo and johnnies "sleepwalk" i got to backup fats domino in shreveport louisanna that was a kick ther are so many memories i am putting together a musical history of my life its sometimes difficult recalling the chronilogical order but im getting through it.

Hey guys!

Like you said, shame what's happened to rock, most bands they're all posers. I still think there are a couple bands and artists who do some good rock, but they don't get much notoriety. I think right now the best rock band is the foo fighters in the rock genre, but they're about it....oh and coldplay is good too but I don't count them as a rock band.

I'm 21 and my parents always played on the stereo all the beatles albums...also queen and rolling stones. A couple of amarican bands too...i particularly remember the beach boys, which i love. In the 70's it was much about pop music, and rock started to go glam and well, it all went downhill from there...but what can you do.

I'm getting some badass callouses on my left hand and i show them proud...kinda like when hockey players get hit and later show them with pride...the callouses are painfull but it comes with the territory....To all of you keep on playing and making music, cause it's one of the simple pleassures of life.

If I were you, I wouldn't have a problem with the kids in school...

hello.  i'm new this is my first post.  i just got my first guitar a couple weeks ago (i'm 48).  just something i've been wanting to do for my own pleasure, but MAN it's sooooo hard!  i didn't realize how hard it would be.  i have a new found appreciation for guitarists.  i'm going to start lessons after the holidays but have been dabbling a bit on my own.  chordie has helped.  i've been working for three days now on learning three chords!  seems ridiculous!  my fingertips are killing me for one, getting my fingers positioned exactly right so i'm not muting the other strings is also killing me.  it's hard to believe this is ever going to flow when it takes me like 30 seconds to get my fingers in just the right position to play one chord.  ah well, i'm trying not to get discouraged...just needed to vent!

Hey Abby,
Don't get to discouraged, every guitar player in world has gone though what you are going through right now!! Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Jimmy Page, B.B. King...all of them did..I started playing again after 15-20 years away from playing and it's difficult. I know what I want to do and I know how it is suppose too sound, but the fingers haven't gotten it yet!! Takes time...Stay with it and you will be rewarded, in the end...Good Luck and stay with it.

John

abby9317 wrote:

hello.  i'm new this is my first post.  i just got my first guitar a couple weeks ago (i'm 48).  just something i've been wanting to do for my own pleasure, but MAN it's sooooo hard!  i didn't realize how hard it would be.  i have a new found appreciation for guitarists.  i'm going to start lessons after the holidays but have been dabbling a bit on my own.  chordie has helped.  i've been working for three days now on learning three chords!  seems ridiculous!  my fingertips are killing me for one, getting my fingers positioned exactly right so i'm not muting the other strings is also killing me.  it's hard to believe this is ever going to flow when it takes me like 30 seconds to get my fingers in just the right position to play one chord.  ah well, i'm trying not to get discouraged...just needed to vent!

Abby, You are doing good! I have been playing for 20 years. For 15 of those 20 years I did not know one chord. All I played was power chords and I didn't even know the names of them. While I think I am a good rythm guitarist I should be as good as Eddie Vanhalen or Eric Clapton. Going to lessons is the best thing you can do. Just monitor your progress. I took lessions for a few months then quit. The instructor did nothing but play for me. Didn't teach me anything. If you get a bad instructor just get a new one and keep at it.

Eddie

These are some great posts!  Keep goin' Abby!  I got my fist guitar when I was 40, I'm 46 now.  I'd pick out a couple chords, and when I'd sit around watching hockey or something, I'd just flip back and forth between those two chords, all night long...two chords.  Wouldn't even strum them, just fret them.....still do that with changes that are giving me trouble.. Just got my first electric, and going back and forth between my A shape barre chords and E shaped barre chords is something i want to get a lot faster at, so I guess that's one of the great things about music, it's like a journey not a destination kind of thing

Abby,
I am new to the guitar too, less than5 weeks. I felt the same way sore fingers, slow, hard to fret the chords etc. I downloaded a metronome from the internet to my computer. I started at 30 beats per minute and practiced 3 chords c d g trying to not miss a beat strumming each chord 4 times. I now am up to 70 beats a minute and have expanded my chord vobabulary. It still hard and slow but is better than it was. Keep up the good work. I am taking lessons at my church and tht has helped too.

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

hey any one can tell me how to clear up the barre cords,i am trying for 2 months, i know it will take sometime but i want to clear this cords quickly.(i want to be a classical guitarist & training for 10 months only)

Hi Asim,

To "clear up" your barre chords check your finger positions, make sure NONE of the fingers are touching another string except for the one it suppose to; If that's not it, make sure your not fretting the chord too far from the fret bar or too close to it; If that's not it have the action checked to make sure its not too high and you may as well check the gauge of the strings. Heavy gauge equals more pressure needed to depress the strings...If none of these fix the problem..I haven't got a clue...Hopefully someone may have another solution..Good Luck!

John

Asim Ahmed wrote:

hey any one can tell me how to clear up the barre cords,i am trying for 2 months, i know it will take sometime but i want to clear this cords quickly.(i want to be a classical guitarist & training for 10 months only)

18 (edited by Asim Ahmed 2007-12-31 18:41:59)

Hi John,

Thanks a lot for ur advise,its working nice...............by the way which one is better playing- finger,flatpicking;i usually play by finger and not used to flatpicking.if it will be any problem in the future.

Hi Asim,
For classical I think fingerpicking is the way to go...Again..personal preference..KEEP AT IT!!! Good Luck

John

Asim Ahmed wrote:

Hi John,

Thanks a lot for ur advise,its working nice...............by the way which one is better playing- finger,flatpicking;i usually play by finger and not used to flatpicking.if it will be any problem in the future.

Hi Abbey9317,

Dont be discouraged. I was in my ahem} fifties. I remember it all as you said.
Now there are chords i still cant play, but for now happy enough. I also sit with the guitar every
chance i get just going through picking. Its easy even if talking to someone. They become acoustomed to the sound. As one person said to me recently " Thats so relaxing to listen to".

So good luck to you.

Slán

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I have just taken up guitar playing.  I know about 15 chords and 'John Denver - Leaving on a Jet Plane'.  I am trying now to learn a few different songs and get the hang of changing between chords quickly but I dont know if I'll ever get the hang of it.  When I watch other people play it seems to come so easy to them, but I find it quick difficult.  Does it just take loads of practice?  My calluses are also coming along nicely now too!!!!