Topic: NEIL YOUNG

As we all know, Neil Young is a very talented songwriter, who really composed a lot of tunes.
BUT: sometimes I can understand, but mostly not: why is he considered as the "father" of grunge music.
There are a few ICONS, like Neil Young and John Fogerty, playing live on their guitar, I am just talking or asking a question concerning the way they play guitar, because in my opinion, how brilliant these artists are, they are certainly not GUITAR GODS. I did NOT say that they are mediocre guitarists, they are not for sure. More evident is, that, especially Neil Young, plays the guitar more with his soul with his hands as working tools.
Is it because of the way he approaches a song playing guitar that they often mention him as the godfather of grunge. I always wanted to know this fact, but I never found a solution.
I hope I can find it on chordie.
Thanks

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: NEIL YOUNG

I think it's because the early grunge guys (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc) really liked Neal Young, and were heavily influenced by him, rather than Neil being an actual grunge player himself.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I always thought it was because of the way he dresses. old  beat up jeans, the flannel shirt, the constuction boots and of course the long stringy hair. And as far as his talent goes the guy can just write exellent music whenever he wants.He has certainly passed the test of time. Just imagine any time you want being able to wip out an alblum, just like that. Thats Niel Young

what a long strange trip it's been

patrickjacques wrote:

I always thought it was because of the way he dresses. old  beat up jeans, the flannel shirt, the constuction boots and of course the long stringy hair.

That look was prevalent in Seattle for a long time before grunge got really popular.   There are a lot of logging towns up here, and flannel, jeans, and construction boots were common because it's so freaking cold and wet most of the time.   Then it went global, and you couldn't find a decent flannel shirt that didn't cost an arm and a leg.  Now days, you can't find them at all, as no one wants to look like they're in 15 year old fashion.

Sad, too.  I like flannel shirts.  They're warm.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

yeah funny how those flanell shirts got en vogue. now it would probably look stupid again.

good question about neil young, anyway - i thought the reason was that he liked to use noise and feedback in his guitar playing, and - as somebody mentioned before - the seattle players were (therfore?) heavily drawn to / influenced by  him.

It is an art in itself to learn all the Neil Young tunings. Once learnt his music is a joy to play.....and easy

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."