Topic: string changes

does anyone know how often you should change your strings or when you should???

2 (edited by dino48 2007-12-23 07:12:42)

Re: string changes

Hi lisa,I usually change mine about once a month,or when they dont sound sharp,or need too be tuned alot.I have oily skin so that shortens the life of strings.You can also run your fingernail under the strings and if you are feeling small indentations where they meet the frets is another good way too tell if they are worn.Try too keep your strings clean by wiping them off with a string cleaner,you can buy at a music store. I wipe mine off every time I am done playing.I hope this helps you . Have a nice christmas.    dino48

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

lisa1320 wrote:

Depending on how much you play will dictate how often to change strings. Basically when they sound flat change them.

Bootlegger.

this has just reminded me, I really need to change mine. HAd them on for about 3 or 4 months now and I play a lot.
But I normally change them every couple of months, but monthly would make the guitar sound better, but not always neccessary to change them that often.
Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

dino48 wrote:

Hi lisa,I usually change mine about once a month,or when they dont sound sharp,or need too be tuned alot.I have oily skin so that shortens the life of strings.You can also run your fingernail under the strings and if you are feeling small indentations where they meet the frets is another good way too tell if they are worn.Try too keep your strings clean by wiping them off with a string cleaner,you can buy at a music store. I wipe mine off every time I am done playing.I hope this helps you . Have a nice christmas.    dino48

Good tip dino48 with the fingernail. It's always good to change a string before it breaks, especially if you're playing for an audience. It's a very awkward feeling standing there when your a string goes" poooooiiiinnnggg" and your guitar goes way out of tune. However. I personally don't like to use string cleaners. I feel as though, from many personal experiences with many different types, these string cleaners shorten the life of strings, period. I simply use a lint free cloth and as dino48 does, wipe the strings down, both sides(above and below) after each set.
  And the requency one changes ones strings completely depends on the amount of time spent playing ones guitar. When the sound isn't satisfactory or tuning becomes more difficult, change the strings. I like to change one string at a time. It is not recommended to remove all of the strings at once. This creates a "tension shock" if you will and potentially can create problems with the neck.(warping) An instrument doesn't like drastic changes in tension, climate, temperature, humidity,etc. ........

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

bootleger wrote:
lisa1320 wrote:

Depending on how much you play will dictate how often to change strings. Basically when they sound flat change them.

Bootlegger.

When they die is when I would change them.  Especially if you can't afford to be wasting money on strings that aren't dead.  Dead means when you hit one and it no longer resonates.  Also if they start to turn blackish.  The bottom 2 strings usually start slipping when the strings are dead (they go out of tune alot).  But you'll know, because they usually start breaking when they've had enough use.  The third string always breaks first, as it's the highest tensioned string on a guitar, but the sixth string up on a 12 string guitar is the highest.  You can save all the trouble by buying elixir coated strings, that keep oil from penetrating the string's core, good for people with oily hands.

DJ Cormier
[url=http://www.bigdjindustriez.tk]www.bigdjindustriez.tk[/url]
myspace.com/bigdjindustriez

I usually change them whenever I break one.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

it matters how much u play.

Bobaflex kicks some!!!!!

While surfing yesterday, I came across this site Guitar Man Acoustic Guitar tips. An interesting tidbit was a couple of tips to clean and re-use your strings. Hey - it's environmentally friendly!

I heard a story about a guy that thought boiling his strings brought life back to them.

A couple of months ago I read a tip in Acoustic Guitar Magazine where a guy rolls up his strings, puts them in a sock, ties the end closed and puts it in the automatic washer with the rest of his laundry. Then he puts it in the dryer to finish it off. He said this works great. GMAN starts to wonder maybe he's got something there.

Read this cool letter from Sinisa Petric from Croatia.

"Strings ala Bolognese" Cooking strings like spaghetti.

Years ago, when good strings were not available in my country (or very expensive) I was not able to change my strings on a regular basis. After playing a long time, the three wound strings would become very greasy. I used to take them off and put them in warm water (with washing powder). After a few hours I would dry them and put them back on the guitar. They sounded like new. After three or four cooking operations the strings loose their elasticity.

http://www.guitartips.addr.com/

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!