Topic: Converting electric tabs to acoustic....

While I play around with the electric from time to time, I really love the acoustic guitar and I love the sound of electric songs converted to acoustic, unfortunately not all of them sound so great. What are some songs some of yall have had a good time playing on acoustic that were originally intended for electric? (Trying to build a bigger repetoire so to speak).
  I do a slowed down version of Sweet Home Alabama, an acoustic cover of .45 and Santa Monica, Every Rose works well too.....

All You Need is Love smile

Re: Converting electric tabs to acoustic....

The Guns and Roses version of Knockin' on Heaven's Door, with the arpeggiated intro, is great. Another one, a newer song is Everchanging by Rise Against. The band actually does their own acoustic version, and it sounds much better than the electric one.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

Try changing the voicings a bit.    This is where it helps to know chords, and be really familiar with the fretboard.   That A down on the 5th or 7th fret on the electric may sound better as an open chord, or vice versa.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I like to play Creep by Radiohead  on the acoustic--I play it the same way I do on my electric; barre chords all the way.  I like Sweet Child of Mine on the acoustic, and Just like Heaven by The Cure sounds good too.  Tried Machinehead by Bush this weekend on the acoustic.  Machinehead without distortion...just didn't work.  Cumbersome by Seven Mary Three is fun on the acoustic as well.

Talking of Guns n Roses. . . Sweet Child of Mine sounds great on acoustic. Sheryl Crow does a superb version of this if you can get a hold of it.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

last_rebel wrote:

While I play around with the electric from time to time, I really love the acoustic guitar and I love the sound of electric songs converted to acoustic, unfortunately not all of them sound so great. What are some songs some of yall have had a good time playing on acoustic that were originally intended for electric? (Trying to build a bigger repetoire so to speak).
  I do a slowed down version of Sweet Home Alabama, an acoustic cover of .45 and Santa Monica, Every Rose works well too.....

LR,
   If my memory serves me correct you are a big fan of AC/DC. I play many AC/DC tunes ala raw acoustic. They're fun to play and most people listening get a kick out hearing the stripped down versions of this great band's music. I "degrowl" the vocals (sing in my own voice), slow the tempo down a tad and have at it. Sometimes I'll sing the "hook" riff while playing the rhythm guitar part. It's your option to do with the songs as you wish. The wonderful thing about art/music is the absence of  specific rules and guidelines. I guess what I'm tryin' to say is; "It's your thang, do whatcha wanna do!"

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.