Topic: best selling soundtracks all time

1) The Bodyguard
2) Saturday Night Fever
3) Purple Rain
4) Forest Gump
5) Dirty Dancing & Titanic

These are the top five records, ranking: platinum/gold records

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: best selling soundtracks all time

Personally, I'd consider Dazed and Confused  my favorite soundtrack. JMO...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Easy Rider should be mentioned,In 1969 amidst the Vietnam War and the kaos the U.S. was in, it was an awesome soundtrack.Wayne

Later, Wayne P

'O Brother Where Art Thou has gotta be up there. Great stuff beginning to end.

Give everything but up.

The soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever was at one time the best selling album of all time, in any category.

Michael Jackson's "Thriller" topped it.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Ennnio Morricone

I just love Anything by  this great Man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRb8KKyenSY

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Robinhood prince of thieves must rank quite high for
Bryan Adams' ballad "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" (included on his Waking Up the Neighbours album and the motion picture's soundtrack) which broke pop chart records in the United Kingdom, where it remained Number 1 for a record 16 weeks. It was also a number 1 hit in Canada and the United States.
The actual sondtrack by the late Michael Kamen is not bad either.
Ark

wlbaye, you are 100% correct. If Forest Gump is in that list, we need to add as written R Williams.
- Ennio Moriconi collaborating with Sergio Leone.
- The soundtrack of Brother where art thu is genial, but I read somewhere that they used a song, only written 10 years later compared to that movie (I believe it was: you are my sunshine, lallalalala, great song, as a man with constant sorrow is also a highlight.
Russell and Arkady, you inspire me to add also
- GOOD MORNING VIETNAM.
- PULP FICTION probably too, that fantastic DICK DALE song, who I discovered after seeing the movie.
Lion King, Grease...
NO MUSICALS, like SINGING IN THE RAIN, raketaktaktakrak (feet). Imagine you standing in the rain, and you start singing this combined with tap dance, they lock you up.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Andrew Lloyd Webber and Spinal Tap in the same thread...never thought I'd see it happen!  But This is Spinal Tap is a whole heck of a lot of fun.

Some of my faves are;

Quadrophenia.

Pulp Fiction.

Easy Rider.

Trainspotting.

Dazed and Confused.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

My post was toung-in-cheek, but you're right Russell, it was absolutely a spoof, but the CD is still some pretty good kick-butt 80's rock.

Grammy schmammy. Those awards are bunch of internal,political, popularity contests that carry very little, if any, merit in my book.

Give everything but up.

Chuck Mangione wrote a soundtrack for the movie "Children of Sanchez".  The movie was never released but the soundtrack went gold. 

Heavy Metal has got to be on the list somewhere.

The Wall by Pink Floyd as well.  I'm not sure if the album came from the movie or vice versa. 

The Big Chill soundtrack sold a gazillion albums and spawned a SECOND soundtrack album that didn't sell as well but still did OK. 

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Grammy schmammy. Those awards are bunch of internal,political, popularity contests that carry very little, if any, merit in my book.

For pop music, I couldn't agree more.  A Grammy is a sure sign that your band sucks.  Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, and Jay-Z round out the "Album of the year" categories this year.  I think I'd rather be front row at Yoko Ono's next gig than sit through that.  big_smile

For less popular generas, though, I think the Grammys still have merit.  Country, bluegrass, jazz, gospel, and other like music still finds the best getting the Grammys, because the commercial pressure isn't nearly as strong.   Female Country artist has Trish Yearwood, Leanne Rimes, AND Allison Krause (who is fabulous and I love her ohyesIdo), and I might sit through Yoko Ono's next gig in order to see any of them.  Specially Allison.

Russell_Harding wrote:

i dont know about the political agendas or the internal popularity comtests conected with the grammy awards,everyones entitled to there opinion but i dont think Andrew Lloyd Webber recieved his many awards because of the above mentioned reasons.his music speaks for itself,whatever awards he recieved he merited.

I'm sorry, but "Cats" negates anything ALW may have done.  Jesus Christ Superstar was awesome, but one listen to "Memory" is gonna wipe out all the goodness coming from "What's the Buzz?"

I think the soundtracks from The wonder boys was a great one. I also enjoyed the Music from EL mariachi ,with antonio Banderas. Some great guitar playing.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

For me the Grammies lost all credibility when Melissa Ethridge lost "Best new Artist" to Milli Vanilli.

mixter102 wrote:

For me the Grammies lost all credibility when Melissa Ethridge lost "Best new Artist" to Milli Vanilli.

Precisely.

Russell_Harding wrote:

ive noticed the most vocal critics of composistions have not offered any of there own for scrutiny.i agree that Webber may have penned a few stinkers but that can be said for any composer(well mabey not mozart)i would like to listen to composistions from these critics so i can weigh the validity of ther qualifications as critics

What? Because one(i.e. ME) doesn't have their own music available for people to hear via the computer, one's opinion regarding a topic or another person has no validity? Easy tiger, it's just an opinion. I'll do my best to get some of my music available for all to hear so you and others can tear into it and constructively advise what needs to be done to make it better.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

ps... I listened to a few of your tunes. Nice guitar work. I especially like the harmony leads on the first tune(Latin Sun) and the folksy tune with the harmonica and mandolin(theyre lady odonovan). Me personally, I can't do drum machines, but hey, it's your creation to do with as you wish. I just feel as though they take the human feel out of music. My vocal coach in college had a saying. "No harmony is better than bad harmony."(regarding background vocals) I'm not saying the drums are bad, just a tiny tad of musical food for thought. I know "real" drums are much more difficult to record but sometimes(always in my world) it's worth the effort. You should be proud of your music, it's good stuff Russell.

Give everything but up.

22 replies so far and no one that I have seen has mentioned these two films

Tommy.....soundtrack by the who
and
Stephen King's Maximum overdrive, music by AC/DC

also the soundtrack to the animated classic
When the wind blows.... it has music by roger waters, david bowie and more.
and I think there was a best selling soundtrack for
The Lion King

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Yeah, and while we're at it, Woodstock and The Song Remains The Same.  And Moulin Rouge and Grosse Pointe Blank.

Happy New Year

I'm the son of rage and love

DON'T WE FORGET THE ABBA musical: MAMA MIA?
I saw a few times Woodstock, and I just found a complete DVD set: MONTEREY.
And as you write UYK, QUADROPHENIA and TOMMY. BUT THIS IS A HARD ONE.
TOMMY = MOVIE + ALBUM = belongs here
QUADROPHENIA: is this used as soundtrack?

Well UYK, of course TOMMY, by the Who, MOVIE + SOUNDTRACK
About quadrophenia, I just know that this is also a, by the way very good, album, but no soundtrack.
And DON'T WE FORGET 2 VERY IMPORTANT BANDS:
1) ABBA, the musical Mama Mia
2) SERGEANT PEPPER'S LONELY HEART CLUB BAND, with one or two GIBBS and PETER FRAMPTON?

Russell_Harding wrote:

ive noticed the most vocal critics of composistions have not offered any of there own for scrutiny.i agree that Webber may have penned a few stinkers but that can be said for any composer(well mabey not mozart)i would like to listen to composistions from these critics so i can weigh the validity of ther qualifications as critics

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.   Lets follow that logic a bit further.

I've never penned a bad opera or musical, so that means I'm perfectly qualified to critique someone who has.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

'O Brother Where Art Thou has gotta be up there. Great stuff beginning to end.

All You Need is Love smile