Topic: Small hands

I started learning to play a couple of months ago and so far so good, except for the dreaded F chord. I have tiny hands and fingers and I'm finding the F chord impossible.
I've been trying to play it:
-----1-----
-----1-----
-----2-----
-----3-----
-----3-----
x-----------

and my index finger just doesn't want to do what it's told.
Does anybody have any tips? Maybe the placement of my thumb will help? Or maybe I'm holding the guitar wrong? Or maybe there's a diffirent way of playing F?

Re: Small hands

Holding the guitar, yes if you raise the neck up to your head level you'll find you can lie your fingers down more. Looks very rock'n'roll too but now you know the reason.

Second try cheats F like this;

---------
---------
----2---
----3---
----3---
---------

That's like E shifted forward one, it can sound right on certain songs. Say 'Sweets For My Sweet' - the C F C G groove is fast and it really works with cheat F. Or you can try making your strum partial just catching the strings you are holding. Having said this there are songs where only full F made as a barre with 4 fingers will do.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

A low action and small neck can really make a difference for small hands. And make sure you don't play with high tension strings.

To reach out with your hands/ See the world through your eyes/ To live with the love of the savior/ To feel with your heart/ And think with your mind/I'd give my last breath for your glory!!!

Chord               Fingers

-----1-----         Barre with first
-----1-----         Barre with first     
-----2-----           2nd
-----3-----           3rd
-----3-----           4th
-----1------        Barre with first

oddly i posted a thread on F last week but the suggestiosn I made on alternative fingering probably won't help as they involve a longer stretch

if completely stuck try -

---X
---1 (C)
---2 (A)
---3 (F)
---0 (A)
---X

Right you are. I have a TELECASTER, CUSTOM reissue 1952, with a great sound. My hands are small too, and taking another guitar, I am able to play more and better.
PRS has very great guitars.
In a music store, here in Belgium, they have a wall with hand prints. Also a set of prints of a great and world famous guitar player and yes there is still hope for me, my hands are an EXACT match. His name: .JAN AKKERMAN, best guitar player in the world somewhere in the Seventies. You can see him, listen to him, and judge him on YOUTUBE.
He plays on a "langcaster", an unknown brand for me, but she looks pretty good.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I too have small hands. I have been playing about a month and 1/2. I play the F Chord   
-----1-----
-----1-----
-----2-----
-----3-----
I had a tough time, but i have found hand strength not size helps. I have a small rubber ball I sqeeze about 100 to 150 times a day with my left hand (fretting hand) and that has helped along with practice.

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

Hey chillipit, I have the exact same problem (among others!).  It's really annoying because the F chord is in loads of songs that I'd love to learn to play.  Damn these girlish hands!

Also B chord is really hard too...?

"Put a little mustard on that mustard..." - Electric Six
"I bought my girlfriend a chocolate pope, cus she seems to be at the end of her rope.  Italian candy, with Swiss chocolat-e flavour...such a delicious, delicious way...to saviour/save her" - Electric Six
"I could dress you up like the devil...I could dress you up as...one of the devil's whores!" -Electric Six

I have small hands too, when playing the F chord I lean my hand back some to cover those top two strings. As you build finger strength it gets easier.

All You Need is Love smile

I suggest you keep trying to play the correct fingering. It will pay off in the long run. I used to cheat the chords and it sounds good at first, but when you start playing with other people you notice that now you sound like poop! Just stick with it. It will come. I have short hands also and now I can stretch 6 frets from my index to my pinky. where when I started I could only go 4 frets.