Topic: WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO BUY THAT PARTICULAR GUITAR

WHY, HOW, WHAT, WHO was "responsible" in a matter of speaking,  for the fact that you buyed THAT guitar, your first guitar, when you are able to buy one, CAUSED, better INFLUENCED your decision to buy THAT guitar, and not ANOTHER.
Age is not important, what is important is the confrontation with??? and is influencing your choise.
YOU JUST KNOW THAT IT IS A WOODEN PIECE WITH STRINGS. So NO knowledge.
Today the market is "overwhelmed" by all kinds and brands, acoustic and electric.

Some people, who start playing for the first time GUITAR can and will keep it simple, not knowing yet what will be the outcome, when you start playing.
Is it "your cup of tea, the guitar, or you like to stop playing guitar,  there are so many reasons, from HAVING NO TIME, over I DON'T LIKE THAT INSTRUMENT, I prefer piano. RESULT: you stop playing guitar. We had already a lot of topics about guitars, what brand, cheap, expensive... but this is WHY YOU DECIDED TO BUY THAT BRAND.
Is it the shape, or "heard about" or saw it on TV, even in a Guitar Store.

So on a day, you decide:  Well, I like to play guitar. Why do you choose a GIBSON in stead of a GRETSCH, or A Fender in stead of an Ibanez. Or an Epiphone, Squier
WHO, WHY, WHAT was THE fact, IMPORTANT in choosing your guitar. Do you buy a Fender because Eric Clapton plays a Fender?
Is it your "walk" through a guitar store, not knowing ONE SINGLE FACT about a guitar, no brand, or, if in a guitar store, you just follow the man in the store.
Even if you don't have much money, this won't change a thing because there are very good low budget guitars, and before spending more, you prefer to try a guitar.
THIS IS ABOUT A PERSON, WHO WANTS TO PLAY GUITAR, BUT WHO KNOWS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT BRANDS AND PRICES.
Are you infected by the I SAW IT ON TV microbe? As we can find a lot of information here, the person who wants to buy a guitar, doesn't know chordie too.
I bought my first guitar, because on a sleeve of an album I had, one of the players had a GIBSON in his hand, that album, and especially the guitar player, played that Gibson, and that's my story

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO BUY THAT PARTICULAR GUITAR

Hi Phil

My first guitar was a gift from my wife.  She went to a music store and followed the sales person's advice, buying me a Peavey Predator exp plus.  It's a great guitar, comfortable, easy action, sounds good and looks great!

My second is an electro-acoustic tanglewood indiana cutaway.  I popped into a music store in Hull and saw this guitar reduced from £189 to £89.  I picked it up and played a mangled version of Ziggy Stardust - probably the most impressive song I can almost play!  Sounded great so persuaded the Mrs to shell out for it for my Christmas pressie!

It says it's an Indiana but seems to be a hybrid Indiana/Indiana Pro or maybe Sundance cos it's got Abalone 'Snowflake' fret inlays and it's quite pretty!  The EQ isn't Tanglewood either, it's by B Band from Finland and worth around £80 so I got my guitar for £9. 

Woohoo!

I'm the son of rage and love

Mine, actually, was the color that made me pick it up and play it. Then it was the way it played. I never heard the guitar amplified before I took it home.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

I always wanted an Ovation, even when i couldnt play!!

Just the novelty i suppose.

Ummmm.......  nothing. I got it for free from a friend and its a really nice guitar, great look, sound, and make. Ibanez.
I researched it and it was discontinued over twenty years, ago, so it's an old guitar, but judging the condition it's in, it was well cared for.

Luv it.

To reach out with your hands/ See the world through your eyes/ To live with the love of the savior/ To feel with your heart/ And think with your mind/I'd give my last breath for your glory!!!

i got my tacoma roadking by price range, then how my voice sounded against it.

I bought a Washburn D12, because it was the first black guitar with a cutaway, that I found in my price range.
Its still my main guitar today.

I did a ton of research to find the best quality insturment I could afford & decided on the Simon & Patrick...LOVED the look of the cedar top, and the black headstock...the way the script "simon & patrick" looked on the headstock...everything.  So Christmas was coming around, my wife knew I wanted a guitar, and I printed the simon & patrick off of the internet and woops...forgot it on the printer! 
Not very subtle, but it worked!

The last guitar I bought I went in the music store with a firm price range already in mind and played for several hours. I was looking for an electric acoustic and spent the time playing everything within that price range. When I had finished I had 4 to 6 guitars that I liked so I went home and thought about it, overnight. The next day I went back to that music store and played only the ones I had selected the previous day. Again I played for about 2 hours and finally decided on which one I wanted. I went home, confirmed my decision, then went to a different music store, played the exact same guitar for about $40.00 less, got the salesman to kick in a hard shell case and made the purchase. Also, it didn't hurt that the 2nd music store had the guitar in a Flamed Maple finish (back and sides) that was WAY better than the other store. Also, this was a "Mom & Pop" type of store who prided themselve on their service. They bent over backwards to help in everyway to set up the guitar and make sure I was satisified. Anyway, I am the proud owner of a Jumbo Takamine Electric Acoustic.

Nela

I ordered my first guitar online. I don't have a real music store close by. Even if I did I wouldn't have known what to look for in tone or playability. At the time I couldn't even strum one evenly much less form a chord. I would have just ended up following the sales person around the store and probably buying the guitar with the most mark up to put cash in his pocket. As that would be the one he'd have swore was best for me to start with and I wouldn't have known better. Instead I did alot of online research. I knew I wanted to put around$200 in a first instruement so I browsed the retailers online reading reviews. I made a list of the ones I was considering and then went to music forums and asked on personal opinions from more experienced players. Everyone was helpfull...Isn't it great how music can bring people together! I ended up getting a Takamine G340. I was pleased and after a little (well OK, ALOT) of practise and playing some other guitars I feel that I made a good choice. I have since then sold it but would recommend them to anyone.

I think Frankster made a wise choice also. I love the Godin line, a great value! If I started over I would consider them...Hell I'd buy one know...lol At the time I had never heard of Godin Guitars.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

11 (edited by JohnnieBG 2008-01-08 23:32:04)

The very first guitar I bought was really cheap (AU$5.00 brand new in 1963). I went cheap because I wasn't sure if I would continue playing or not but here I am 45 years later and still going. The guitars I have now are still in the low price range but they look good and sound good too. I bought an SG copy in cherry red, it was secondhand(AU$199.00 but in excellent condition. I had one before but it was stolen from me. Then I bought a new 12 string acoustic, a Monterey Dreadnought (AU$319.00), looks and sounds good. I then saw a Monterey 6 string acoustic (AU$169.00) with the same colouring as the 12 so I bought that too. They look like a pigeon pair standing together. HAHA

My life is brilliant... Of this I'm sure.

my first guitar was a oiece if JUNK, which I bought from cousin Bubba for 5$. At a time when my grandparents (who I lived with then) were not exactly supportive if me taking this particular instrument up, I couldn't get a-hold of one anywhere (being from a small town as it was), I was playing my dad's when he came in on the weekends. SO, I jumped on the oppurtunity not caring what it looked sounded or felt like just to have one to practice on. It hurt my fingers something terrible, but hey it was better than nuthin.

All You Need is Love smile

I love it when people get very, very, VERY low end guitars, and still wind up sounding better and being more inspired than those of us who are fortunate enough to buy a decent insturment.  I was watching some TV show a few months back on the evolution of Rock & Roll, and of course it started with the blues.  There was one blues musician, wish I could remember his name, who started out by his daddy nailing strips of old rubber truck tires to the barn door, stretching each a little tighter. He used to jam for hours plucking old rubber truck tires & eventually became a great musician.  Makes you realize that great music, great musicians, are made from the inside out.

Still have my first 1964 Fender Mustang bought it used (10 years old already). I bought it because I wanted to learn how to play guitar.

Bootlegger.

I didn't have to pay for it with my own money.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

In 1986 when I bought my then 10 year old Fender Stratocaster it was a beaming glow of light in an otherwise dark music store that drew me to my precious instrument. The store was called Kittengers in Christiansburgh, Virginia and it was mostly stocked with used, low quality instruments. Almost like a pawn shop but it had mostly instruments and a few other miscellaneous items. When I saw this natural wood body with the white pick guard and maple neck I heard harp music in my head and immediately became semi-hypnotised with mental visions of that '76 strat and I running together in a grassy pasture twirling round and round in a state of total bliss. Or maybe I was just really stoned and needed a guitar. Regardless, we became partners that day and have been together every day since..........

Give everything but up.