Topic: hang drums

have any you guys heard the amazing sound of the hang drum ,
stumbled across it on youtube man they are beautiful on the ear have a listen !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ojj7tgrqw

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez

Re: hang drums

Awesome, I honestly believe I was hypnotized while viewing this................

Give everything but up.

Lovely instrument!  I want some of my very own - or at least I want to hold some and discover just how they are made.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

4 (edited by Old Doll 2008-01-08 08:43:46)

Gosh Weejie,

That was wonderful to listen to, and see.  Never did hear of this instrument before.

I have a set of very heavy Balinese Bells. They are metal and flat, connected with a leather string. I have used these over years at the end of relaxation classes. when you clink these together the sound reasonates right through your energy field. Its a great way to reground people after long meditation. These drums have exactely the same sound.

Wonderful stuff, Thanks for sharing.

Old Doll.

Go to Wikipedia, there are more  Videos   and info there. So so good.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

james they are extremely hard to get hold of, they are not mass produced its two guys in switzerland who hand make them and you have to request one by post , when they select you to get one you travel to Bern switzerland to collect it and have it tuned to your liking, its an intimate affair .God knows  how long the waiting list is. There is an American drum manufacturer who are in the process of developing a cheaper version, dont know when they will be available. But i want one they look like soo much fun!!!

i think I might be greedy
I want three.
These things are fantastic. I have never seen anything like them. Heard very similar sounds but probably not with the one instrument.
cheers for the link, it is now in my favourites

KEn

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

They seem to me to be like an iverted steel drum similar to what many Jamaican perfromers use. The tonal quality and note assignments seem different though. More 'grey areas' if you will.  I gots to get me some of deeze................They're cooler than the down side of yer pillow.

Give everything but up.

ive copied this from the panart site for your perusal

Created in 2000, the Hang (pronounced "hung") is one of the younger musical instruments. It comes from Bern, Switzerland, and was created by Felix Rohner and Sabina Schärer OF THE PANArt Company. It was the result of many years of research on the steel pan and many other resonating percussion instruments from around the world: Gong, Gamelan, Ghatam, drums, cowbells, MUSICAL Saw...

There are many Hang models with various MODES proposed by PANArt. However, since each Hang is tuned individually, you are encouraged - if so inspired - to design your own "tone circle". Thus you participate in the creation of an instrument that best meets your own creative needs. The PANArt firm through its various regional representatives can help you in this project.

In the Bernese language, Hang refers to the human hand, as in "hand-drum." This percussion instrument is comprised of two metal hemispheres bonded together: the DING side and the GU side.
The DING side CONTAINS 8 tone fields which together form the "tone circle" (scale or mode). This circle surrounds a central dome, called the DING (which sounds like a Gong).
On the GU side, there is a hand size hole (called the GU) for sound resonance. The GU can be played like an udu, or used to modulate the sound of the DING.

DING Side

GU Side

There are many ways to invite the Hang to sound: with fingertips, thumbs, and the heel of the palm - and a mix of all three. Most of the time, the Hang sits on the player's knees, but you also could play it on a drum stand. Players can let their hands and their feelings discover how to play. Indeed, there are no rules for playing except one: the joy of music!

The Hang makes friends quickly. In my experience, people remember it as a fantastic instrument with a fabulous tone from the first time they encounter it, and musicians are intrigued by it as soon as they touch it. The Hang is on its way to centre stage.

wow

I'm the son of rage and love

What a beauitful sound sort of a Japanesey
Thanks for the link
Ark