Topic: Why It's So Hard To Pick A Guitar

"So this guy goes back to the petshop and says 'yep, I've thought about it I'll buy that chameleon' and the store owner replies 'certainly sir, which colour was it?'."

Guitars are a bit like that. Each one teaches you something. When I first got an electric I was probably playing lower frets sharp but couldn't hear it. Somewhere along the line my pitch awareness has grown.

Same applies to tone. When I first got the electric I was a tone gypsy, everything sounded great to my ears. I played bluesy, I played jazzy, I played garage. Then I started getting more picky, homing in on a sound I could use 90% of the time. First it was a clean Roland Jazz sound, now it's a very plain Fender Bassman tone.

No wonder guitarist are always drawn to new instruments. There's always the feeling that a new amp or new axe will further refine and focus in. It never will but the quest goes on...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

2 (edited by Kahuna 2008-01-08 21:21:24)

Re: Why It's So Hard To Pick A Guitar

I'm with you Cytania!  I too, have gone through some changes in the past years.  I've recently sold my Epi Les Paul, because I bought a strat and found it to be more of what I wanted in both sound and playing ability.  I also collected five different amps and several effect pedals.  Somehow, I always ended up back to the blues & jazz sound. 

I love the grunge tone, but seldom use it when I play.  So, here we are, 2008.  And, so I bought another guitar!  This time, it's a Gibson ES knock-off, which plays fairly well for the price.   My goal this year, is to learn more jazz chords and songs.  I started to dig up my old George Benson records for reference.

Re: Why It's So Hard To Pick A Guitar

Cytania,

To reply to the title "why it's so hard to pick a guitar" it is because most of the time we don't know what we want in a guitar we just want a new guitar. Experience as you are finding out refines you and you become more aware of what a can be done with a guitar and what you want in a guitar. By the way good choice on the Fender Bassman money well spent.

Bootlegger.