Topic: Chord Errors

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here goes.

When I look up songs on Chordie I am finding a number of songs that I believe have the wrong chord progressions. As I have been taught the 1st, 4th and 5th chords are majors, (5th chords can be 7 chords) 2nd, 3rd and 6th chords are minors and the 7th chords are diminished. What I am finding is chord progerssions that have a 2nd, 3rd or 6th chord noted as "major" chords. Would I be right in changing these chords to "minor" chords when I play the song after I print it out? (I believe this would be correct) Who do I make aware of this problem when I run across it? I'm new to this "Forum" and don't want to pee in anyone's Post Toasties so I am just asking for direction.

Nela

Re: Chord Errors

Either you're exactly right, or you're misunderstanding what they mean when they say 2nd, 3rd, and 6th.

Triadic harmony is what you are describing.  It does not have to be that way.  It just ensures that whatever note you play is within the key you are playing in.

If I'm in C, it's perfectly OK to play D major, even though the theoretically correct chord would be D minor.

Theory is a framework that lets you easily build music.  It is not hard fast rules that must be adhered to in order to be "correct."

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Thanks for the reply, Jerome. Sometimes the chord progressions can be as difficult as Chinese arithmitic. An example of what I am asking about can be seen in a Randy Travis song "Pray for the fish". This song is in the key of "B" and by using a 1, 4, 5 progression the chords would be "B", "E" and "F#". As shown on the song an "A" chord is also used. Now by using the whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step progression a "A" chord falls half way between the 6th and 7th chords. I sure hope I'm explaining this correctly. If a "A" chord is to be used, how should it be played? (as a Major chord or a Minor chord) I have been seriously been playing guitar for just a little over 2 years so my skills still needs improvement. I am basically self-taught and my "ear" for music is not as good as it could be. Since I started playing at the young age of 54 I know I'm never going to become rich or have a problems with groupies following me around. With the group of people I do get to play music with I stick with playing rythem. Any help you or anyone else can provide concerning this will be greatly appreciated.

Nela

Nela ,

You had commented on my Gmaj7 chord , so i thought I would chime in and assit if I could.

I have a really cool Music tool called "The Chord Wheel" ( because I do not know scales and music theory that well, this wheel is great ).

Which leads me to your question.

I was going to say to play the chords and just see how it sounds , but then I noticed something , the song with Randy Travis you mentioned is actually in the Key of "E" not "B"

So now take the 1 4 5 and you have E A B ( even though the song starts out with the Chord "B" does not mean that is the key ).

Now , I am not sure what chords are posted to that song are correct though, please keep in mind there are many people taking a guess and when you play the song, you can tell it is wrong , almost right , dead on , etc.  but I am saying that the 1 4 5 happens to be correct in the Key of E.

Also, the 1 4 5 rule is not something that has to be followed , it is a guide as was mentioned earlier.

I hope that helps a little
Jerry

NELA wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Jerome. Sometimes the chord progressions can be as difficult as Chinese arithmitic. An example of what I am asking about can be seen in a Randy Travis song "Pray for the fish". This song is in the key of "B" and by using a 1, 4, 5 progression the chords would be "B", "E" and "F#". As shown on the song an "A" chord is also used. Now by using the whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step progression a "A" chord falls half way between the 6th and 7th chords. I sure hope I'm explaining this correctly. If a "A" chord is to be used, how should it be played? (as a Major chord or a Minor chord) I have been seriously been playing guitar for just a little over 2 years so my skills still needs improvement. I am basically self-taught and my "ear" for music is not as good as it could be. Since I started playing at the young age of 54 I know I'm never going to become rich or have a problems with groupies following me around. With the group of people I do get to play music with I stick with playing rythem. Any help you or anyone else can provide concerning this will be greatly appreciated.

Nela

Yeah, I know what you are saying about a songs chords being incorrect as to the key. One of the problems I have is that my wife sangs, a little, and even though I download the songs per the key of the CD, (hopefully)  then have to try to transpose the song into the key of her voice. ( and she kinda sings by ear through her nose) Sometimes this can be difficult since my "ear for music" is not as good as it needs to be. I am finding a lotta song on this board that  feel is incorrect and I am trying understand what needs to happen in order for me to make the corrections that  I need to play the song. I am aware of the "Circle of Fifths", am able to use it but sometimes I find it easier (at least for me) to write out all the notes starting with the key and circle the chords to be played. Directly underneath that I write out the notes begining with the key I am transposing the song to. This way it becomes easy to actually see the changes. Some of what I am finding in the I, II. III, 1V, V, VI AND VII progressions is a chord that falls halfway between the VI and VII chords. This is where I am getting confused. Many thanks for your comments.

nela

Would it be easier to play the songs as written and use a capo to get "in key" with the wifey?

Just play

just use chordies "transpose chords" function