Topic: How To Buy A Guitar - Checklist

1) Make sure you have a tuner, ideally an intellitouch or similar.

2) Go to shop.

3) Make sure guitar is in tune.

4) Check intonation. Is 12th fret exactly in tune when open string is? If not then you could get out a tiny screwdriver and adjust, but shop assistant should be asking what's up by now.

5) Give guitar a good long play with chords and bends.

6) Check tuning, did it hold the way you set it?

7) Electrics, work the pickup selector. Do you get clicks and pops?

8) Electrics, work the volume and tone pots. Do they crackle?

The above check should reject any guitars with bad tuners, bad neck/bridge setup and bad electrics. After that it's all down to you.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Re: How To Buy A Guitar - Checklist

Cytania, I agree with everything you said, except the part about "taking out a small screwdriver and adjust". Doing this just might cause you more problems than you need and you could be buying a guitar you don't really wan't. Also, if I could add something it would be:

Never pay the price of the ticket that is on the guitar. There's always enough "mark-up" at the music stores that you can negotiate a better price. Either ask for a lower price or additional equipment. On a guitar in the $300.00 to $400.00 price range you could get $50.00 or so knocked off. As the value of the guitar goes up so will the discount. (check to see if the music store pay's commissions on the salesman's sales. If they do find out when these commissions are paid and buy just before that period ends.)

Nela

Thanks for the advice guys.  I will be buying myself a new guitar in the next few months and I need all the help I can get.

Cheers

John

"check to see if the music store pay's commissions on the salesman's sales. If they do find out when these commissions are paid and buy just before that period ends"

Wow, now that is what I call organised!

I was being a bit naughty with the screwdriver, might be a better idea ask shop if they can set intonation and then return, however alot of them do try it on with 'every guitar we sell gets a setup'. Grrr, I want the guitar to be setup right when I pick it up ;-)

Adding to what I was saying, this luthier goes even further...

http://www.kevinchilcott-luthier.co.uk/ … mazing.htm

Good article. There are too many music stores (or just general businesses) who treat potential buyers as if they were on an assembly line. Get'em in the store, put product in hand, smother them in "BS", get'em outta the store, wave goodbye and then laff their butts off about the sell they just made. I am still learning but at my age and experince I can easily reconize the smell of hot air blowing over a turd. When I feel that I am not being respected by a salesman (anywhere) I'm outta the door in a hurry. I work in the construction industry and I am a Vice President for our company. My salary level allows me to be able to purchase items (within reason) when I want them (by this I mean that there are a few times when I don't have to ask my wife if it's ok). When I ask the salesman a question, most times I've already done my homework, I can tell if I am being answered correctly or only told what I want to hear. Either respect me and what I have to spend or I will go elsewhere.

Nela

PS: The line about "hot air blowing........." could be a "hook" for a new country song. Don't anyone try to steal it.

Nela,

Most of the members on this site know more about guitars than the sales persons at music stores. Look for the seasoned guy (older) who shows signs of roadware. Chances are he is still giging and has been around guitars for a long time.

Bootlegger.