Topic: New strings

Is there a particular favorite string that you prefer?  Been playing for one year, just bought a new guitar, strictly acoustic, and I love the sound, but I'm curious if a different set of strings would make it sound even better.  What is there to look for in strings, other than guage?

Re: New strings

It's a personal preference when it comes to strings, but yes, different brands sound quite a bit different.  Seems to me, most accentuate a high or low end, and I wanted a nice mid-range even tone.  I've settled on the DR's.  I use the .12's.  A lot of people use the coated strings, like an Elixer string.  I love the sound, but not the feel, and they're expensive...but they last longer. 
If anyone else has a string with a nice, midrange even tone, I'd love to hear about it...I think it's a constant quest for the perfect string!

This site has a "sound room" where you can listen to samples of a few different types of strings. It says it is in Beta, so maybe they will be expanding the selection. Anybody know of a similar site?

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/soundroom.html

I just purchased 6 sets of strings from them, trying to find the right match. Some Martins, some Elixers, DR's, coated, uncoated, etc.  Problem is, it will take me 6 months just to try these.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

i have used "silk n steel" for over ten years i love the feel and the sound is unique the only drawback is if you play or practice a lot like i do you have to change them more often to maintain the sound you like but its worth it to me

"Growing old is not for sissies"