1 (edited by johncross21 2007-12-31 21:25:00)

Topic: F Chord

When I play the F chord I usually play the E shape bar chord at the first fret

----1---
----1---
----2---
----3---
----3---
----1--

but I have been playing along to a fingerstyle video which recommends playing with the thumb over the neck and fretting the bottom E with the thumb

---x
---1(T)

its not a chord fingering which Im used to and its quite tough

does anybodyelse play the F chord like this and does it has any advantages - is it just a fingerstyle thing

Re: F Chord

johncross21 wrote:

When I play the F chord I usually play the E shape bar chord at the first fret

----1---
----1---
----2---
----3---
----4---
----4---
----1--

but I have been playing along to a fingerstyle video which recommends playing with the thumb over the neck and fretting the bottom E

---x
---1(T)

its not a chord fingering which Im used to and its quite tough

does anybodyelse play the F chord like this and does it has any advantages - is it just a fingerstyle thing

You're playing the F incorrect in the barre chord form.
As you wrote it ,You're playing 1443211,( that's 7 strings)  on a 6 string guitar you should be playing 133211. ( low E to high E or fat to skinny string)
The alternative chord you posted is not an F. It's Am/F.  It's similar but not quite the same chord. And the use of the thumb is a bad habit to start. One's reach is limited when using the thumb to hit those bass notes on the guitar. I would advise you to play the F as such; 133211, or x33211, or xx3211 and leave your thumb on the back of the neck ( on the lower third of the back of neck)

Give everything but up.

3 (edited by johncross21 2008-01-02 01:03:31)

Southpaw

cheers.

edited my post to show correct tab for both the barre shape and the other shape which uses the thumb on the bottom string 

some people do use the thumb over shape because for example it provides an open A in the chord

John

The only person that I know that plays his chords like that is Jimmy Hendrix. Other then that I don't know.

Eddie

Although the chord in your video lesson isn't strictly an F as you wrote it, the principle of using a thumb to fret or often deaden the low E is quite common in many styles of playing. It's only in classical guitar where its a taboo. There are advantages of knowing all the ways of using your hands on the fret, and not to get hypnotized into thinking that there is only one way to finger a chord. In finger style and rhythm playing its often about getting your hand in position for the next chord change. So the few strings you hit in the F are probably fretted. the others you don't need but lead in to the next chord - partials and passing chord I believe they are called. A beginner should certainly learn the craft by using clean shapes and full strums at first - but take a look at your favourite singer songwriters and see that they add colour to the song by using all kinds of partial chords, substitutions, inversions etc etc - and lots of thumb! That sounds complex on paper but its often about playing open strings or even only 4 strings. Often a semi-dead bass note is better than a full ringing one - its all about getting some style in your playing. So -long live the thumb. Note to purists - so I use both techniques - sue me! lol

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

i cant play the f chord

You will!

Time and practice. Everyone who ever picked up this wonderful instrument has struggled with Barre chords.

You WILL get it.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

hamsta1995 wrote:

i cant play the f chord

We, as guitar players, are not allowed to use the "C" word. (can't) Thus far, I have not been able to...., I am experiencing difficulty with....., this particular chord I have trouble with.... Try these.
1)xxxx11
2)xxx211
3)xx3211
4)x33211
5)133211

#1 is the easiest and least full sounding and #5 is the most difficult yet fullest sounding. Start with #1 and work towards #5.

Give everything but up.

Half a century ago (and I am not joking) when I learnt the F chord I learnt it as SouthPaw's number 3). It served me well for a number of years before I decided to learn the full barre chord. It was not too difficult then to stretch the index finger from barring two strings to barring the lot.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I have a confession to make.

About 80% of the time i use x33211. But then, I'm just a clown messing about for fun and quite rarely to an audience. Still learning, still loving it.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Haven't yet been able to do the full F chord...hopefully this will help...learning guitar hurts (ouchie)! tongue

"Put a little mustard on that mustard..." - Electric Six
"I bought my girlfriend a chocolate pope, cus she seems to be at the end of her rope.  Italian candy, with Swiss chocolat-e flavour...such a delicious, delicious way...to saviour/save her" - Electric Six
"I could dress you up like the devil...I could dress you up as...one of the devil's whores!" -Electric Six

The little exercise attached has really helped me with my barre chords. I can finger and switch between them half decently. I still struggle switching between open and barre chords though. I know: practice, practice, practice...

http://www.betterguitar.com/instruction … xample.pdf

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I try to use a full barre "F" chord when I can but I do find myself going to the xx3211 fingering. Sometimes it just depends on the song as to which way I make the chord. In a normal chord progression of C, F & G it seems to be a little easier for me to get back to a C chord from either the F chord or the G chord position if I use the xx3211 fingering. But thats just me.

nela