Topic: HEELLLPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have trieed many ways to play the F but the come out really bad
any tips????

Re: HEELLLPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may as well say it first, before everyone else does...

PRACTICE!

Sorry! But it's the only answer.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

true
BUT IVE BEEN PRACTICING IT 4 A YEAR
every other chord i can do

Someone in another post suggests this fingering...

x0321x

Still technically F.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

That still technically "F" is much closer to Fmaj7. I first learned the "F" just using the DGBE strings, where I didn't have to bar the first fret or use my little finger. I then, about 30 years later, learned (ie. practiced) the "F" barred, and that opened up the neck to me.

When I play the F chord I have learned that if I hang the first joint of the barring finger over the neck I can exert more pressure comfortably and get a much cleaner sound out of it. That only took me 20 years to figure out.

just practice.. if it never works!! cut your fingers! thats all!

Fby gitaardocphil

I try this [F]and [Fmaj]or [Fmaj7]

Isn’t it better like this

I thought what if I can show the F-chords by using diagrams?
The Fmaj is also an important chord in BOWIE's ground control to major Tom
But an F like I play it is:

x   x   x   x   o   x
x   x   x   o   x   x
x   x   o   x   x   x
x   x   x   x   x   x
Basicly very similar to Fmaj, like in the chord diagram, a regular F is played as shown in the first diagram, the F i play, if not in barre is as shown using x = no finger and o= finger.
If you add an extra finger on the A-string 3th fret, the sound is very rich and deep.
I play the F-chord like this = start Am, and move the fingertip on the D-string regular tuning
E  A   D  G   B  E, to the 3th fret see xxx/ooo, and adding another finger now on A-string 3th fret, it is similar to the E-chord, one fret lower, but with the difference that a finger remains on the B-string first fret.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

basic chords are best learnt by practicing open position chords, ten moving on to barre chords. Barre chord exercises can be found here:

http://www.spytunes.co.uk/index.php?opt … ;Itemid=80

If you play barre chords higher up the neck at first you will soon conquer that F, the hardest chord to play on the guitar (well, open Cm is harder...)

10 (edited by craigy2oo6 2008-01-26 19:54:03)

when i could not play the F chord , i used to use the Fmaj7  done the job. its all about getting the finger strength in ur index , wat i also used to do was make a e chord on second fret then add ur index finger to the 1st fret then uv got a F

I learned to bar just the E and B strings first. But like everyone will say "practice"..it really does become easy to the point where you no longer remember it being difficult. And that shape (and variants of) is SO important for all sorts of chords up and down the board. You're diligence in learning it well will be paid back ten times over

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I'm getting there myself.  It's taking a long while, but now I no longer cringe when F, F#m, or Bm is in a song.  I don't do any other barres, and so far haven't needed to learn.  Well, except B.  I'm avoiding it, but can't for much longer if I want to learn to play Defying Gravity in a key that I can sing it.

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I think some of these well-intentioned folks might be missing your point. if you're playing the first four strings are you 3rd and 4th fingers touching other strings, giving you a mufffled sound?  try this -- bend your wrist sideways and forward (not the most comfortable position)-bringing it close, but not resting on the neck - thumb on the back of the neck pointing toward the tuners -- so your fingers are tilted on the strings when you look down at them they should appear to be at almost a 45 degre angle to the neck,  this should raise 3 & 4 away from the other strings. -- good luck

f = NO3211 it's like the C just bar the b&e with the first finger & drop the other two down to the   d&g   hope this helllllppppssss

It's almost comical how often this subject comes up - I guess the bottom line is barre chords are TOUGH and every one of us has to struggle through some pain to get them right. I have been using this little exercise for a couple of months now, and although I still am struggling with consistency, it has helped me improve my barre chords tremendously. I spend a minimum of 5 or 10 minutes on this single drill every night.

http://www.betterguitar.com/instruction … xample.pdf

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Barre Chords: I love them, because they are so "logical" musically. I remember how much my playing improved when I finally mastered them (40 years ago...).
The one thing I see beginners do wrong all the time when trying to play these chords: You need to move your arm forwards a bit more (say 3-4 inches) then you suddenly get your hand in a position so that it's no longer a pain in the rear to clamp down with your index finger. And of course, you might also try changing strings to LIGHT gauge for starters: a lot less pressure is required by the index finger (barring all strings).

Don't give up just yet. You can do anything, if you want it hard enough. Play on!

New to this forum but I've been playing for over 40 years.  Follow my advice and you'll be a much happier person:

1) Avoid all songs with F.  No great song was ever written with an F chord.

2) Change to another key

3) For the duration of the F chord pause playing but continue vocals.  Pick up the instrumental again after the chord change.

4)  Pause during the F chord and allow the bass to take a solo.

In 40 years I've never had to play an F and I'm proud of it.

Great 1st post DFNCheney. big_smile big_smile big_smile

Welcome to chordie!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

practice is the answer, no other way around.
I learned to do quick F, Bm and C#m just a few weeks ago and I've been playing non stop since the day I picked up the guitar for the first time. And I mean non stop as in every free moment alone @ home was spent playing the guitar, for three months and a few weeks. And I really do mean non stop. It is frustrating at first but what the hell, I just knew that If I kept on trying I would make it...and I did!

F is often the first barre chord we have to learn.  However I found it one of the hardest because it's at the top of the neck.  Try moving the shape down so that you are playing a barre A.  It's a more natural shape for your hand.  It might help.....and....ow yes.....another thing.....practice!!

My ambition far exceeds my ability

DFNCheney, my new hero!

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

i don`t barre F i hook my thumb over an hold the string down that way learn that an you can play a lot of barre chords without actually having  to barre ,well some of them, holding down the the two top strings is a bit trickier and like everything ....practice makes perfect

23 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-03-04 21:43:30)

When I first started on barre chords I found that It was much easier (for me at least) to hold the guitar in a more classical position.  Put the waist of the guitar on the left leg (assuming your right handed) and raise the head of the guitar slightly. This helps get your arm/elbow away from your body. Holding your elbow against your side is poor positioning and makes it more difficult.  There's alot of short cuts around the Barre chords that have been mentioned but I find it much better to learn it properly first even if it is harder and takes more time. If not you'll just eventually have to relearn it. The hooking of the thumb is good for some fingerpicking styles but in my opinion that's were it should stay...No offense sinner...It just makes it more difficult IMO... Practice your full Barreing and if it proves to difficult for you then tune your guitar down a step to reduce string tension. This will change the key but what your looking for is finger memory and strength and it'll help. Once you can do it at that tension raise it 1/2 step and practice for awhile. Then you can move back up to full tension.   Just as a tip if you tune down a whole step putting a capo on the second fret will put you back in standard tunning to play with others and when tunning down 1/2 step capo goes on 1st fret for standard. I keep most of mine tuned down half a step just for finger comfort but it also reduces the fatigue on your guitar top (bellying and such)...Just some ideas....Best of luck with it!  Peace!  -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

put a capo on the first fret and play a e chord for f a chord for b flat and bar c 3rd fret for c

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Wow what a large discussion on the F chord. lol
First let me say I am quite impressed that you have been practicing that F chord for a year, and have still not mastered it. 

I am impressed because you are still trying.  Good for you!

That means that in time you will get it.  Try playing it like a d chord on the 5th fret, or some other voicing.

I also find it hard to believe someone has played for 40 years and does not play any songs with F in them (Too funny)

Remember that which does not break us makes us stronger

EMBRACE THE F MY FRIENDS.

ghanlon