Topic: Learning Progress

Hey all ... this is my first post and I've only been playing for about 15 months now ... I have a Les Paul Studio, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR, and a Takamine Acoustic that I play on ... I play alot of Classic Rock stuff and deep toned Metal stuff ... I use the Spider III amp to compliment everything ...

Now that everyone knows what I have my question is this:  I have learned all my basic open chords (bar-chording I haven't been able to master) ... as well I've learned my powerchords which are easier for me to control and use ... I'm currently learning my minor Pentatonic scales but from what I've read, lead guitarists primarily use these scales, etc ... is this something I should be learning if I only plan on playing rythym?

I know it's a good thing to know your scales and where the notes are on the fret board but being 36 I have very limited patience!  I've learned a bunch of songs like Living After Midnight, Twist of Cain, etc and they sound awesome on both guitars ... but I want to know if there's a specific guidance on learning rythym/lead guitar

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Re: Learning Progress

Congrats and welcome to Chordie!  It's good that you're learning scales!  I found that I have to use at least three (of the five) patterns when playing a song.  In addition to minor pentatonic, you should also learn major scales as well. 

One of the ways to guage your current knowledge is to do some jamming with other people.  Yes, knowing your chords and scales is nice, but how do you fair with other players/instruments?  I started jamming with a few guys now for about a year, and although it's fun, it's also challenging at times. 

When you're playing by yourself, it's easy.  Because you're playing the entire song that you have control over.  In a band or jam session, you get to play only part of a song through either lead or rhythm.  And, someone has to lead the group during play so everyone is on the same progression and timing. 

Nonetheless, keep practicing and always try to watch others for inspirations!  I saw Joe Satriani and Derek Trucks band on TV the other day.  And, wow, they were amazing!  Good to see their techniques too!

I have a buddie of mine that we play together ... he does barchording like its second nature where as for me it's a hassle ... but usually where he barchords I can supliment with power chords ... it's a good mix and works pretty well ... now we're in the process of adding another guy from work to our sessions and will see how it works this weekend ...

One other question I have though is on holding the neck ... I know for the most part having your thumb placement in the middle back of the neck is the optimum position (granted it changes location depending on the chords, string variations) but one thin I've noticed is I'm always "cupping" in the back; meaning my thumb is wrapping up and above the neck ... for me this feels comfortable or I'm just solidifying a bad habit! 

Is this something I should engrain away from or keep using it if it works for me?  Thanks for the advice!

Tim,

It's a natural human behavior to "hold" things.  However, it's best to be conscious of where your thumb is, on the neck.  The reason for this is to help you when you start playing scales!  If you establish a good habit of keeping your thumb pressed lightly on the back of the neck while playing, it will help make moving your fingers throughout the scales much easier.  Plus, your barre chords will get a bit easier because your wrist will be in a natural (straight) position when you play either chord or scale. 

Another time when people tend to "hold" the neck is when they're sitting and playing.  Since the guitar body is heavier, there's a tendency to try to keep the neck down (or from sliding) while playing.  To fix this problem, wear a guitar strap while you're playing sitting down.  This will help reduce the neck from moving and distribute the weight more evenly across your back. 

Good luck!

Tim0473 wrote:

I have a buddie of mine that we play together ... he does barchording like its second nature where as for me it's a hassle ... but usually where he barchords I can supliment with power chords ... it's a good mix and works pretty well ... now we're in the process of adding another guy from work to our sessions and will see how it works this weekend ...

One other question I have though is on holding the neck ... I know for the most part having your thumb placement in the middle back of the neck is the optimum position (granted it changes location depending on the chords, string variations) but one thin I've noticed is I'm always "cupping" in the back; meaning my thumb is wrapping up and above the neck ... for me this feels comfortable or I'm just solidifying a bad habit! 

Is this something I should engrain away from or keep using it if it works for me?  Thanks for the advice!

Kahuna wrote:

Another time when people tend to "hold" the neck is when they're sitting and playing.  Since the guitar body is heavier, there's a tendency to try to keep the neck down (or from sliding) while playing.  To fix this problem, wear a guitar strap while you're playing sitting down.  This will help reduce the neck from moving and distribute the weight more evenly across your back.

That's a good tip Kahuna, I'm gonna try that. Thanks.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks Kahuna ... I noticed that I do alot of my practicing while sitting down (which my buddie keeps telling me you have to learn stand and play eventually) ... but I agree I'm getting way too comfortable sitting and playing and need to stand more (which I did last night) ... one thing I do recall is that when I am standing, my thumb does move to the middle of the neck as compared to when I'm sitting down

Thanks for the advice!