Topic: whats a good easy acoustic song to learn first?

Hey, kinda new to this guitar thing, I've been practicing my choords a lot, just wondered what a good song to maybe start off with is?

Re: whats a good easy acoustic song to learn first?

Bad Moon Risin' -CCR
Walk the Line- Johnny Cash
The Joker- Steve Miller

Those are few good ones

All You Need is Love smile

Listen to the Don Williams song "Tulsa Time" it has a good beat and only uses 2 chords - E and B7.

Now by playing the same strum pattern and changing the chords to D and A7 you will be playing Achy Breaky Heart.

That's 2 songs for the price of 1.

Nela

For acoustic a really easy and simple song to learn would be country songs (if you like that genre of music) ... I learned a bunch of these songs when I first started playing ...

George Strait
Adilida - Open A, E, D chords w/capo 2nd Fret
Stars on the Water - Open G, Em chords w/capo 2nd Fret

Kenny Chesney
Please Come to Boston (little harder) - Open D, G, Em, A chords - Bm w/capo 2nd Fret

Eddie Rabbitt
Driving My Life Away - Open E, A, D, C#m, E7

Drivin N Cryin
Straight to Hell - Open G, D, C

4 Non Blondes
Whats Up - Open A, Bm (I use opn chord variation), D

Tom Petty
Free Fallin' - Open D, Dsus, Asus w/capo on 3rd Fret

Bob Segar
Accompany Me - Open A, D, E

Alot of these songs are real simple and easy to learn ... the best thing to learning strumming patterns is to go to the following site I mentioned in an earlier post

http://www.justinguitar.com/

That's where I learned strumming patters in one day (it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it)

Hope this helps!

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

I have played Knockin on Heaven's Door with a lot of beginners and it seems to be easy for them to get into the strumming pattern DDU U DU. Good Luck and never turn down a chance to play with others,even if you feel intimidated.Guitar players rarely look down on a beginner and are full of knowledge,tricks and help.Wayne

Later, Wayne P

I like Ball and Chain by Social D.

D, A, G, D

Repeat.

Look for a song you're pretty familiar with, search it on Chordie and find one that only has a couple chords. There's a ton that are "easy", but the better you know the song, the easier it'll be for you to pick up and play.

Good luck!

Cripple Creek Ferry

Jambalaya (the ultimate beginner's song)

Horse with No Name (the other ultimate beginner's song) 

Paradise (just remember that it's in 3/4 time)

Pretty much anything for which the phrase "three chords and the truth" is descriptive.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

here's a few videos of easy to learn songs: www.spytunes.co.uk

i had the same problem when a lot younger - dying to be able to play just one song on a guitar . so - a song that was popuar at the time and the sound i wanted was HORSE WITH NO NAME - BY AMERICA . couldnt get much easier than that . but even that took me weeks . but it got me hooked and i went on from there . ( the next one was HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN )

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

Try buying a 'Three Chord Trick' songbook.  They have plenty of songs in there and are aimed at the beginners end of the market so all songs can be played with just three, easy-to-play chords.

J

how about "Cant you See"...by Marshall Tucker...3 chords repetitive...and bands are playing it as a standard

Try,    "River" by David Allen Coe. Slow easy blues tune.

... Badeye.

one caper after another

Look at my songbook wink
I've just started myself, so I'm still at the easy shit wink