1 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-01-10 01:34:14)

Topic: International shipping?

OK I've got a potential customer on Ebay that is requesting shipping to France. The quote I get from the big names (UPS, USPS and Fed ex) range from $225- $400. Now this is for only a ukulele! The guy I'm dealing with says he usually pays between $50 - $125 shipping for Ukuleles and mandolins from the US. Am I doing something wrong? I figured someone here may ship or buy internationally and have some tips to reduce the shipping cost. Any advice would be appreciated! Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

2 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-01-10 02:31:26)

Re: International shipping?

i was going to suggest the post office but i noticed you had usp.is it your obligation to foot the shipping and insurance cost or can you split the cost with the buyer?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

The buyer will pay all shipping costs but if it's too high it will effect the price he's willing to pay....The costs of shipping just seemed really high to me. I didn't know if there was something I was missing?

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Contact a "freight forwarder".  I suspect a large part of the cost of shipping internationally is the expense of dealing with customs.  If you don't have a commercial account with UPS, you're going to get creamed on international freight.  Check your yellow pages for a freight forwarder.  They specialize in international freight.  While it sounds crazy, with something as small as a ukelele, air freight may be your best bet.  Sometimes international flights have extra weight capacity.  The airlines try to use that up by taking freight to get the most bang for the buck out of their flight.  The freight forwarders will know about that, and they'll also know about dealing with customs paperwork.

One thing to insist upon with international business is being paid - and having the check clear - BEFORE shipping. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Contact a "freight forwarder".  I suspect a large part of the cost of shipping internationally is the expense of dealing with customs.  If you don't have a commercial account with UPS, you're going to get creamed on international freight.  Check your yellow pages for a freight forwarder.  They specialize in international freight.  While it sounds crazy, with something as small as a ukelele, air freight may be your best bet.  Sometimes international flights have extra weight capacity.  The airlines try to use that up by taking freight to get the most bang for the buck out of their flight.  The freight forwarders will know about that, and they'll also know about dealing with customs paperwork.

One thing to insist upon with international business is being paid - and having the check clear - BEFORE shipping. 

- Zurf

Thanks!! I'll check into it!

PIX: I have bought at least 5 electric guitars, and looking on ebay now, the price range is between 50 and 300$ (more 300$ than 50$).
I bought a lot of guitars in 2006, and I never paid more than 150$. I have the impression that the actual prices are a victim of the € versus $ problem.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]