Topic: Guitar GOD??

O.o

Is this guy a ***head? or is it just me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpLCl8taa7E

Re: Guitar GOD??

Maybe, it depends on what you are looking for.
- do you play guitar?
- How long?
- What item do you want, like "learning" guitar, or songs.
By the way welcome on this great site.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Que522

So the guys presentational skills are a little shaky and there are one or two gaps in his terminology BUT he is giving an introduction to the guitar in a friendly and non-threatening way and he has taken the time to put his presentation on the net.  It's all too easy to sit back and criticise someone once they've actually done something.  My personal opinion is good luck to him.  Everyone has to start somewhere.

John

I have been using his tuning technique for many years, now. For an open tuning I sometimes turn the knob things the opposite direction from what he showed. When I really take the time to make sure all the little knob things are perfectly lined up on the end of the thingy my guitar sounds simply amazing. When I am playing with our little "get together" group all they can do is just sit and stare. They will just completely stop playing so they can listen to me. I completely outshined them so much at our last practice that the next time they got together they did not ask me to come play. They said they needed the practice just so they could keep up wuth me. Can't wait until Ash Browne's advanced lessons come online.

Nela

So someone who doesn't really know much about guitars should make a video to teach you about guitars?

"The little thingys on the fretboard are just for decoration, they look cool though!"

"This, well I have never used this and you wont either, so I am going to just take it off." in reference to the Tremolo arm.

"I have seen guitars with 31 frets, was pretty crazy. But all you really need are 4, so if you have a 4 fret guitar you are GOOD."

I have only been playing guitar for less than a month, not well even. However about about 5 minutes searching on the i-net, and cracking open a beginner book on guitars, I have found MANY flaws in his so called lesson.

que i loved the part about the "knobs" all being paralell when he strummed it once it sounded like s**t this has to be a joke! it comes from the factory tunned an all you have to do is strum it damm i got to get me one of those

"Growing old is not for sissies"

NELA wrote:

I have been using his tuning technique for many years, now. For an open tuning I sometimes turn the knob things the opposite direction from what he showed. When I really take the time to make sure all the little knob things are perfectly lined up on the end of the thingy my guitar sounds simply amazing. When I am playing with our little "get together" group all they can do is just sit and stare. They will just completely stop playing so they can listen to me. I completely outshined them so much at our last practice that the next time they got together they did not ask me to come play. They said they needed the practice just so they could keep up wuth me. Can't wait until Ash Browne's advanced lessons come online.

Nela

Nela I'm with you, since i've been following his courses i've improved so much that people just laugh with excitement. I have he same guitar a fender strat, but i'm a bit worried because that on/off switch he mentions near the tone/volumn controls doesn't work on mine, it just changes the sound, will contact Fender about that. Regards Andy.

you dont need to contact fender there is no "on an off switch" what he was pointing to was the 5 posistion toggle it splits the pickup coils its a selector switch for front rear and middle with two inbetween tones i have a strat im glad someone can learn from watching his vidio but as much "unlearning" will be necessary to purge this eronious imformation

What? are you sure?and what about that little "L" shape peice of metal that hangs down from that bridgy thingy? he said it doesn't do anything and that we should disregard it? Please don't tell me he's got that wrong too!

10 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-01-12 00:44:30)

The vid is a joke right? He can't be serious! Russell, I'm with you on this one. This would cause much more harm then good to absolute beginners. It was good for a laugh though....I just hope people realise it is a joke!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix yes its a joke, I think it depends where you come from if you get the humor some people obviously didn't get it. Russel just teasing, I enjoy your posts. I wouldn't worry about beginners being harmed by it, most people will view many vids and compare information before deciding what is true or false, he only talks about the guitar and he doesn't actually have any lessons out yet as far as I can see, so a beginner will soon realize that he was wrong with a bit more research, even if they didn't get the gag. Andy.

12 (edited by que522 2008-01-12 01:02:11)

I hope it's a joke as well, however in his other vid he talks about his first guitar when he was a kid and the guy that owned the guitar shop DIED! and it worked out for the best!! I mean what kinda doober ever says something like that?

If you look around him he has a bunch of manuals laying around his bed. Maybe he just got his guitar and like my 5 year old daughter, he "KNOWS EVERYTHING!"

Shrug

that little "L" thing is called a tremelo bar and if you push dowm on it the whole guitar lowers in pitch,by pushing down and pulling it up several times it creates a tremelo effect if its to stiff remove the plastic plate in back and take the middle spring off you might have to adjust the truss rod

andros67 wrote:

What? are you sure?and what about that little "L" shape peice of metal that hangs down from that bridgy thingy? he said it doesn't do anything and that we should disregard it? Please don't tell me he's got that wrong too!

andy you got me good so ignore my post about explaining what a tremelo is i think they should have mounted it in his keester

Whoosh! thats the sound of Irony on a flyby! OK thanks Russel. ahem.

andy you have a wierd mind (i like that) the guy that died proberly got impailed on a "thingy"

Russell_Harding wrote:

andy you got me good so ignore my post about explaining what a tremelo is i think they should have mounted it in his keester

HEY! Russel too late I already posted a reply, he he, welcome to the land of Irony, we Brits luv that sort of thingy. Glad you can take a joke, well done, i'm sure you'll get me back some way.

you can make book on that! but im not sure how you brits are pretty  shrewed

andros67 wrote:

HEY! Russel too late I already posted a reply, he he, welcome to the land of Irony, we Brits luv that sort of thingy. Glad you can take a joke, well done, i'm sure you'll get me back some way.

Well at least one thing is for sure, you have the patience of a saint.:)

20 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-01-12 05:19:02)

andy i just picked up on your avitar "its a strat" thats a dead give away i have to be more observant and the "thingys"there,andy check out my web page and listen to my strat

Hey Russ I like to see that guy explain "Audacity"  lol
With all those clicky mousey things and those floppy discy thing me bobs.
nice to you up and running again
Ark

Russel I checked it out last night, very nice, l'm listening to Iron Hardware now, are they your vocals? Liked all the tracks particularly Latin Sun and Shadrack, really nice guitar sound and melody. Tight productions and nice arrangements, Lovely acoustic on Abednigo, you express yourself beautifully. If i can play half as well in a year or two i'd be over the moon. Andy.

andy thankyou for your comments. yes "iron underware"is my vocal the acoustic tracks on"meshack" were played with my hohner guitar,abednego was composed last week and "latin sun" last summer, the celtic song "therye lady odonovan" was composed for old doll who has been an inspiration with her encouragments.i layered acoustic.mandolin and harmonica tracks in a half hour sometimes you get lucky all the electric guitar sounds were generated in the br8 effects menues the rest were from a sure sm58 microphone im glad you liked the songs. your comments im reading at 7am and my day has started on a good note (excuse the pun) chat again russ

ark its always good to start the day with a little chuckle i would like to see him explain the "audicty" music studio that would be a classic

arkady wrote:

Hey Russ I like to see that guy explain "Audacity"  lol
With all those clicky mousey things and those floppy discy thing me bobs.
nice to you up and running again
Ark