Topic: Need Some Help/Advice

I am going to be in the market for my first electric guitar in the next month. After many many months of bargaining with my wife. We don't have a large sum of money to spend on what she calls  my "next toy." However i have messed around with a few acoustic guitars, nothing special though. I have read about as much as i can about different guitar company's for our price range.

I have mostly decided to get a Line 6 Spider III 15w Amp.
For $100 i get a few bells and whistles but suffer on the fact that it is only a 15w amp, I have 3 smaller kids so the volume can;t get out of control anyway so that fact does not bother me at all.

As for the guitar itself this is where my question comes into play.
I have been heavily thinking about an OLP MM1.
I have read the reviews and comments by many people and only found a few that disliked this guitar. Other than the bridge.

This should be an open and closed case, however like I said having begged my wife, this is about the TOP of the price range I am allowed so I won't be able to get a Floyd Rose bridge until a few months later. EVERY review I have read said the factory bridge on this is JUNK! If I decide to go this route I will have to make due with this bridge for a little while and I am afraid that it will discourage me in learning to play if the guitar can't hold a tune for very long, and if I don't play it much I wont be able to con my wife out of a new bridge.   O.o

Another concern on mine is the fact that the MM1 does not have a tone control, and being an absolute beginner to guitars, I have not decided the tones and styles of what I want to play yet. Does not having a tone adjustment have a big hindrance on versatility?

With all of that in mind I have seen Epiphones that not only have a semi-solid factory bridge, but a tone control on both pickups, and 2 volume controls. All this for the same amount of money. But there is alot of mixed reviews on this company's quality of instruments.

So any advice would be very very welcomed.

Re: Need Some Help/Advice

wow if you can only afford so much it kind a limits the selection i could recomend a sioi standard it looks and plays like a fender stratocaster in fact you can hear it on all the electric tracks on my web page give a listen and see if you like this sound if not i paid $150.00 for it and it works for me

"Growing old is not for sissies"

The OLP MM-1 has a very standard Strat-type tremolo bridge (bridge costs less than $20). I've played the guitar and find it "serviceable" -meaning that it is simple and has potential if you learn how to keep it in good shape.

First thing: buy a set of new strings and throw the factory ones away. Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys strings would be a good start.

Second: If you find that the bare wood neck gets dirty easily, mask everything besides the back of the neck and spray the neck lightly with clear lacquer (or put some Tung oil on it).

Third: Use a hex-key to adjust the neck angle (truss rod). The distance between the strings and the fretboard needs to be to your taste and no string should buzz.

Fourth: Go online and learn how to intonate your guitar, meaning that new strings and new guitars always are a little odd sounding if the individual bridge pieces haven't been adjusted correctly. Search for INTONATION and it's not hard to learn how to do this.

Fifth: you can later exchange the bridge for something better. In the beginning, I would even "block" the tremolo: put a small block of wood in the tremolo cavity, so as to disable the tremolo, because it will be the major reason why this guitar goes out of tune quickly.

If you buy this instrument in a store, you might be able to have a service person do all these easy, essential setups for you at no charge. And if you ever have more to spend, you'll have the OLP as a backup. Don't worry abot the "missing" tone control -your amp has plenty of adjustments. Have fun!

It's not that we can't afford something better, it's that my wife won't LET me get something better. Disadvantage of marriage.  O.o

Thank you for all the advice, I just wanted to make sure without the Floyd bridge and tone control I would still be happy. I have heard so many good things about the OLP MM1 that you can mod it for a few hundred bucks and make an amazing instrument even better!

Moving forward with the OLP MM1..... I HOPE!

5 (edited by cytania 2008-01-15 10:58:15)

Hi que 552, first off the tone control won't matter if all you want to play is modern metal, that style tone is up high always,  but if you want to get jazzy bluesy you'll want one, pots are worth pennies so keep looking around.

Second your amp, how about dropping to the pocket pod and running it through headphones or the hi-fi (headphone to phono adaptors is most Maplin stores).

Let us know the style you'll want to play and we can narrow you down more. There are lots of good cheap instruments out there but unfortunately they are mixed in with alot of bad cheap instruments. Have you tried out the OLP in person? Have you had a good look round the shops near you. There's usually a bargain in most shops, particularly this time of year. Even the hugely expensive Peach guitars in Essex had a couple of LAG Jets by the door (one no doubt hugely reduced due to a pastel orange top colour!).

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

As far as the style of music I will probably end up playing, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and the one song I would LOVE to learn is Cannon in D, cannon rock. So that sort of tune I am looking for.

The amp I have never givin much thought to a pocket amp. For starters though I wont be able to get both amps and i would like to be able to unplugged the head phones and let my family hear how  good or bad I am.  O.o

Around where we live there are 2 places within about 45-50 miles that sell guitars and I have been to both of them and they don't have anything that tickles my fancy. So when I decide to actually get my guitar I am going to have to drive about 2-2.5 hours from my house to go look at a guitar shop that even carries the OLP line.

7 (edited by cytania 2008-01-15 17:05:00)

Even a trip out where you don't buy anything is worth it if you are new to electric. Part of the buying process is working out what you don't want. Even just lifting a guitar out of the rack and holding it lightly can give you an impression (Like if when you heft it your shoulder dislocates, or when hold it you immediately feel sharp edges).

Once you've found something you wouldn't mind swinging around ask to plug in. Listen to the basic sound, work the tone and volume, work the switch, listen for pops and crackles. Beware any shop that gives you an amp on the overdrive channel they may be trying to cover a poor tone with distortion.

Don't be afraid to put the guitar back, just let them know it was a bit jangly or a bit muddy, whatever your impression was. Usually the guitar you were most of comfortable with will come to you when you are back home not thinking about guitars. Beware checking out guitars in shops then ordering them online. Finish can vary year to year. Don't get hung up on OLP, there are many quality cheap makers.

Ideally look for a SSH strat or a double humbucker with coil tap to get a Dave Gilmour sound, although my Behringer Vamp2 (similar to Line6's pods) has a preset called Crazy Diamond that will make anything sound like Pink Floyd ;-)

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Que522, Have you thought about going to a pawn shop? You could possibly get something better for less money.

Eddie

it used to be that way but pawn shops now days have the price catalogs and they know the value of the instruments  and theres also the internet and im sure most of them can put two and two together  it used to be like you said

ebigham1 wrote:

Que522, Have you thought about going to a pawn shop? You could possibly get something better for less money.

Eddie

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Well I have been pondering what everyone has been telling me and now I am confused.
I was rather set on the OLP MM1, and the Line 6 Spider III. But now I have my doubts.

Now I really have NO clue.

I have been making fairly good progress in my acoustic playing, still want the electric. But now I am thinking I MIGHT be able to pinch a few more bucks out of my wife for my new "toy."

I have been on youtube for countless hours listening to different guitars and amps, but ultimately its not me playing  and it is though someones mic on there computer, compiled, and uploaded. So tone will not be the same.

I think you're going to be shocked at how loud a 15 watt amp really is when it's sitting in your living room.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I have heard that the spider III 15w is a very loud amp for it being a 15w. My question is how is the quality of the amp?

Well, I'm a proponent of tube amps, so for any amp that's not a tube, my answer is "Not as good as a comparable tube amp."  Watt for watt, a tube is going to be louder, and sound better at high volumes than a solid state amp.  You can pick up a 10 or 12 watt tube for about the same price as the Spider III.

Having said that, I do like the Line6 product lines in general.  Every Line 6 gizmo I've dealt with has been pretty well made and rugged, and while no modeling amp sounds as good as a tube, their amps do sound good.   The do modeling really well, so I don't think you'll have any problem with this amp.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Since this is your first amp, go for affordable versatility. If you keep growing as a player, this will certainly not be your last amp...
In the meantime: Play on!

What attracted me to this amp:

100 bucks: I can live with that.
15 watts:    I don't need a "gigging" amp
4 pre-programed channels
and 4 that I can toy with.

I found it to have a wide range of versatility for my needs.

Have you looked at Agile guitars? I have never seen a bad review and they are certainly in the same price range as the OLP. I haven't played one myself as the shipping costs to the UK are too much but you should check it out. On the amp, you will see many mixed reviews on Spiders - some love them and others truly loathe them. There are other modellers out there: I have a Roland Cube 30 and am very impressed, there's also the Vox AVT series which are really sweet. If you are just starting out the main things you need to be right are tuning stability, action, neck relief and intonation IMO. If you go really cheap, all of these will suffer and, especially with single coil guitars, distortion will make them screech like a banshee so be careful. Yamaha Pacificas are good value as well and they should be in a similar price bracket.

You also mention Epiphones. I have a Dot and it's beautiful BUT quality varies greatly. I've played others that were awful: try before you buy and buy the one you try.

Good luck.

No desire to touch the fire,
It's just a...just a sad obsession.

Like I said I convinced the wife to let me go with a bit more costly guitar.

Been to about 10 guitar shops over the past week. Well I just came back from Guitar Center today with guitar and amp in hand.  I am very excited. I am however displeased with the service of Guitar Center. I asked does that include a setup, action intonation ect, they said YES. So I picked the guitar I wanted handed it to the guy while he was "looking" over it, had a few wrenches out and stuck em in and I went to go look at some other things while he "set it up." I thought he set it up, when I got home I started to play it and WOW something was very very wrong with it, not wanting to drive 3 hours to go back and say what the heck. I took it to one of my dads old friends that has a local guitar shop. He started laughing and said where did you get this? I told him he simply said no wonder, and spent about 30 miinutes giving it a good old tune-up. So I guess when that guy real;y was just "LOOKING" at it.

But anyway I am very happy with it and hope to be playing for years to come.

To everyone, Thank You for all the great help and advice.

But what did you get???????????????????????????

Sorry it took so long to respond, been busy PLAYING!!

I got a new Mexican Strat, and a Line 6 Spider III 15w.

I LOVE IT.

Was going to look into used and the only 1/2 good used one I came across was an American and was $800  O.o   No thanks

Enjoy