Topic: Greek guitar?

<font face="Arial"></font><font size="3"></font><div align="left"></div><i></i>

Hi

I need some advice on the greek guitar.

I want to get my friend one for Christmas but I don't know anything about them like price, are they hard to play, can you get music for them, etc.

I am not very musically inclined so any explanations will have to be in layperson's terms...LOL

Thanks

Cindy

Re: Greek guitar?

Hello Cindy - By 'Greek Guitar' do you mean a bouzouki?  It is a long-necked lute-like instrument with paired strings - usually 4 or 5 pairs (8 or 10 strings).  It is kind of like a mandolin on steroids - sort of like an oud (turkish lute) with frets.

Bouzoukis are sometimes used in traditional Irish music sort of like a ryhthm guitar.  they are also (obviously) used for Greek folk music.  There are several websites out there with tunings, chords, tips, etc.  Go to Wikipedia and search for 'bouzouki' and see the links at the bottom of the article.

Does your friend already play guitar or mandolin?  If so, a bouzouki would be a great gift.  Be wary of cheapo souvineer-type instruments that might look nice hanging on the wall, but that don't play well and don't sound good.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: Greek guitar?

Hi

Yes, that is the instrument I was asking about.

And yes, he can play both the guitar and mandolin.

Thanks for your help

Cindy