1 (edited by que522 2008-01-18 00:04:01)

Topic: barre chords?

Is there some universal trick to this? I mean after trying to stress my first finger to get all the notes to sound, my finger is DEAD! Any advice other than PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE??!

EDIT: trying to type with a guitar in your lap = TYPOS!

Re: barre chords?

Nothing comes easy with guitar.  But it does come naturally, when I started playing I would play for hours on end for literally no reason.  If you're not willing to play random things to reinforce your knowledge, then it won't come as easily.

Here's another thread on the subject, maybe there's something there for you. But I'm struggling too and the only real answer is practice, practice.....

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5637

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

well say you "practice/play" for say an hour or so a day here and there. how long B4 it comes naturally? Not that i want to pick it up in no time or I am done playing/trying to play. Just so i know if I am on track.

With that are barre chords easier to play on an electric? Harder? Or the same?

Little back round I am in the market for an electric, but in the mean time my G-pa gave he him old acoustic guitar to start piddling with, starting to learn chords and what not.

So in short my goal is to play electric.

O.o

Easier on the electric, because the action is lower. 
Make sure your thumb is behind the neck so you can "pinch" the neck between your thumb and index finger.  And make sure your acoustic is set up properly--high action can make it really tough.
OK, this is going to sound stupid, but I'm going to say it anyway:  When I was a kid I wanted to be able to wistle--couldn't do it for the life of me, but one day, a wistle just came out...and I wondered why it was so hard in the first place.  Barre chords were like that for me.  I used to wonder if I could be a guitar player and cheat on F's and B's.  But one day, they just started to ring true.  A lot of practice to move them around, etc., but your practice will pay off!

Thats cool. Like I said the guitar is older than me by a far shot, I wasn't even born in the same decade that guitar was made. To me it has a rather high action, but i will deal with it for now. I can get barre chords to ring out but it takes me a minute or 2 to get it set up, and by the time I get it ringing right, my finger feels as if it is about to fall off my hand. O.o

I know right now barre chords and as odd as it is, A are going to be my downfalls for a little while. For the A chord I can;t seem to cram my sausage fingers in there with enough pressure on all 3 to get it ringing out right. I am hoping that with the addition of my electric my luck will change a little, and of course allot of practice >:)

que522 wrote:

how long B4 it comes naturally?

I'll let you know...

I've been hitting F#m, F, and Bm pretty hard by playing songs with those chords in them and playing however they sound (which is usually pretty muddy) but just keep on going.  Then later, I would practice the chords until I got a good sound.  So each night, I would practice getting to the chord quickly and smoothly in a song and not worrying about how it sounded, and also getting a good, clean sound out of the chord without worrying about how long it took me to get to the chord.  The two are merging over time, meaning that I am getting to the chords more quickly and at the same time getting a cleaner sound. 

I've been doing this every day for about six months.  I'm almost to where I'm feeling comfortable.  I am no longer actively avoiding songs with Bm, F, or F#m in them.  Usually not anyway.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

que522 wrote:

Thats cool. Like I said the guitar is older than me by a far shot, I wasn't even born in the same decade that guitar was made. To me it has a rather high action, but i will deal with it for now. I can get barre chords to ring out but it takes me a minute or 2 to get it set up, and by the time I get it ringing right, my finger feels as if it is about to fall off my hand. O.o

I know right now barre chords and as odd as it is, A are going to be my downfalls for a little while. For the A chord I can;t seem to cram my sausage fingers in there with enough pressure on all 3 to get it ringing out right. I am hoping that with the addition of my electric my luck will change a little, and of course allot of practice >:)

You can barre the A chord completely with two fingers.

You use the index finger to barre the B, G and D strings.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Shouldn't even post this, bad form I know, but I'll just barre my A with my ring finger--just bend it at the first joint and for me, the fit is perfect.  Then I just slide that up to get my various A form barre chords.

O.o  the ring finger to barre A is AMAZING! Got it first try, worked like a charm! Thank you much kind sir.    Hehehe  must be an Ohio thing??  I am only about 2 hours from you Frankster smile

25Frankster wrote:

Shouldn't even post this, bad form I know, but I'll just barre my A with my ring finger--just bend it at the first joint and for me, the fit is perfect.  Then I just slide that up to get my various A form barre chords.

That's not bad form.  That's good form.  You can move that thing all over the neck really quickly.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I ues my ring finger to barre the "A" chord, too. Now if I could just get from a "A" shaped "C" barre chord back to an "E" shaped "G" barre chord quickly I sure would be happy.

Nela

Barre chords when I first started I avoided them like the plauge (I hope I spelt that right).
Every day try a new barre chord.
And try some songs with a few barre chords in them.

Good Luck
JASON

*** Jason it is 'plague' - edit and remove this - Roger***

que522 wrote:

Little back round I am in the market for an electric, but in the mean time my G-pa gave he him old acoustic guitar to start piddling with, starting to learn chords and what not.

O.o

I just tried an electric for the first time recently, and let me tell you it is a MILLION times easier.  I can get all six strings ringing out clearly with no effort on an electric, but I still struggle with F#m on acoustic.  That being said, even if you want to play electric, don't avoid your acoustic.  It will really strengthen your fingers and you'll be a better electric player because of your acoustic experience.  Especially if you are just starting, barres will be hard on electric too.  For the time it takes you to learn it on electric, afterwards, you probably won't be able to play it on acoustic, whereas if you learn it on acoustic, electric should be no problem.

Wormproof,

Yes, playing barre chords on an electric is much easier to do.  It's definitely an encouragement tool to play more barre stuff.  I also found that transitioning the barre from electric to acoustic is also easier.  Yes, you'll need to press a bit harder, but it will also help you strengthening your fingers and thumb position. 

So, don't play just the electric.  Switch back and forth is pretty fun.

wormproof101 wrote:
que522 wrote:

O.o

I just tried an electric for the first time recently, and let me tell you it is a MILLION times easier.  I can get all six strings ringing out clearly with no effort on an electric, but I still struggle with F#m on acoustic.  That being said, even if you want to play electric, don't avoid your acoustic.  It will really strengthen your fingers and you'll be a better electric player because of your acoustic experience.  Especially if you are just starting, barres will be hard on electric too.  For the time it takes you to learn it on electric, afterwards, you probably won't be able to play it on acoustic, whereas if you learn it on acoustic, electric should be no problem.

Ya I have been trying and trying playing nothing really just getting all 6 stings to ring out. I can generally get it now, so I am happy for now that this doesn't limit me. Thank You for all the help and tips, been working wonders for me.

I am sure I will have a lot more questions in the future, I know where I will come first!  smile

You can also use a spring-loaded hand exerciser to help strengthen you left hand.  I used to use this thing about 30 minutes a day or when I was driving somewhere.  It helps reduce cramps when barring and let you play longer too. 

que522 wrote:

Ya I have been trying and trying playing nothing really just getting all 6 stings to ring out. I can generally get it now, so I am happy for now that this doesn't limit me. Thank You for all the help and tips, been working wonders for me.

I am sure I will have a lot more questions in the future, I know where I will come first!  smile

I have that on our weekly shopping list. I have noticed that every so often I get the SHARP almost pinching pain in my first thumb joint. Hope that exerciser helps eliminate that soon.

Sad to say that I actually found ways around barre-chording ... alot of the 5th/6th string powerchords can suppliment (ex. C5 powerchord can suppliment a barred "C" or open C) ... my buddie is a barre chord junkie and I'm still learning so I switch to my powerchords and he calls me a cheater lol but hey, it works for now until I get the barre chording down pat!

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

21 (edited by Kahuna 2008-01-22 03:52:14)

Hey Tim,

I would never call anyone who uses power chords a cheater.  Yes, they really don't sound as good or as full as real barre chords, but they often do the trick.  Most rock bands use these with lots of distortions, and most of the time they sound find. 

However, if you are going to be a life-long player, knowing the correct chords will only benefit you.

Tim0473 wrote:

Sad to say that I actually found ways around barre-chording ... alot of the 5th/6th string powerchords can suppliment (ex. C5 powerchord can suppliment a barred "C" or open C) ... my buddie is a barre chord junkie and I'm still learning so I switch to my powerchords and he calls me a cheater lol but hey, it works for now until I get the barre chording down pat!

Barre chords..
I teach students to use their Index,middle and ring finger AND then change up to their Middle ,Ring and little finger with learning  both A minor and E. I explain that I'm preparing them for barre chords . And for the most part the transition goes pretty well.  Your posture also has a lot to do with playing chords correctly.Watch other people play and look at their hand position when doing the Barres. If your guitar is set up right and you're relaxed and practiced, barre chords aren't any more difficult or tiring than playing open. Keep working at it, and don't forget to enjoy "the trip" one day it will all just go together.

I hope so. With practice I will get it, I am sure of it. Even if it takes FOREVER!! ok sorry being a little dramatic there. It should come to me.

yeah and if your action is high on your acoustic it makes a world of difference to lower it.

To reach out with your hands/ See the world through your eyes/ To live with the love of the savior/ To feel with your heart/ And think with your mind/I'd give my last breath for your glory!!!

Kahuna wrote:

Hey Tim,

I would never call anyone who uses power chords a cheater.  Yes, they really don't sound as good or as full as real barre chords, but they often do the trick.  Most rock bands use these with lots of distortions, and most of the time they sound find. 

However, if you are going to be a life-long player, knowing the correct chords will only benefit you.

Tim0473 wrote:

Yeah I agree Kahuna ... I frustrate easy and learned my power chords before learning my bars since it was easier for me ... now my fingers automatically go right to a power chord formation before anything ... I'll eventually get the barre chording down and you guys will be the first to know!  tongue

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75