Topic: Finger numbness

Although I've been playing acoustic 12 string guitar for over 30 years, my fingers are beginning to have problems with numbness after I play just a few short songs. Some mornings they are still numb at the tips. Does anyone know what this is or how to correct it (without stopping playing??)

2 (edited by rjstua 2008-01-24 01:30:44)

Re: Finger numbness

It sounds like the the nerves are being squeezed by surrounding tissue that has become enflammed(up on the underside of your forearm, around the bits that move back and forth when you move your fingers), this could cause tingling and numbness. I had something similar in my right hand that lasted for a few weeks, but that was because I couldn't stop playing guitar and allow the inflamation to subside smile

If this has only suddenly started happening after 30yrs of playing, then it might be worth consulting a doctor though.

i have somthing similar and it really worried me for a while i asked my doctor and he suggested changing my diet after i gave him a list of my daily food groups i wasn't getting enough fresh fruit and veggies so i ate what he suggested which was a more balanced diet and the numbness and cramping has left so i can only hope its as simple a remedy for you as that good luck

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thank you all very much. I'm thinking it's a nerve thing too because it started after a weekend of strumming 2 months ago and all my chording fingers swelled up, the calluses even swelled, it looked gross and was very painful. I finally iced them for a short time for several days afterwards and that seemed to help. But every time I play now, even short periods they swell slightly and the ring finger is numb at the tip. Maybe it will just take time and patience. Thanks for your help!

Sounds to me like you could have been bitten by a chupacabra.

I'm teasing, I have had this happen to me ocassionally. My doctor told me that it was most likely posture related. After doing an MRI to rule out anything nerve related he concluded his opinion. I will shake my hand out real good a few times and get up and reseat myself. It takes a few times of shaking and adjusting but these two steps usually stop the  finger numbness.Still though, look out for the chupacabra......................

Give everything but up.

I think I found it on my profile page thanks to apple (the chupacabra) greed rears its ugly head.

I'll try shaking it out - that should make my "audience" wonder for a while!
By the way-
What in the world is a chupacabra?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra

[url]www.freerice.com[/url]

shady i got a printout man i sure wouldn't want to meet up with that critter