Topic: Old Guitar Pickers

I'm an old guy... I recently retired and my wife bought me a cheap guitar to help me keep busy.  Couldn't do much with the thing, so after a little looking around I bought a classical model and there's a world of difference.  The string spacing gives me a lot more room for my fat fingers and the fingers of my left hand are very grateful for the nylon strings.  Maybe you CAN teach an old dog new tricks if you give him the right tools!!  Any other old guys out there?  Try a classical...it did the job for me!!

Old age and treachery...

Re: Old Guitar Pickers

well.....im 66 and my fingers (fortunetly) still work for me when they stop i will switch to a 1 string dulcimer and keep jamming nice to hear you rediscovered the joy and blessings of making music keep pickin

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Not old, but came to guitar playing as an adult (over 40).  I started with a Classical as well.  After getting some success in practicing, I purchased a steel string folk guitar for the tone and because by that time I wanted a narrower neck.  I think it is easier to get started with a Classical model too, though. 

Good luck, have fun, check back often and let us know how it's going.  I've been playing guitar less than two years now and I surely get a lot of encouragement hearing how others are doing, discovering that they're facing the same challenges.  Plus, if you ask for help, you'll get it here.  There are some wonderful folks who enjoy helping others learn to make music. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

lylenbev,

I am 53 year old almost 54 and I started about six weeks ago. I started with a cheap steel string acoustic. I went and bought a better steel string acoustic Seagull S6 Cedar Top. My fingers have finally have toughened up so they don't hurt as much. I have learned alot from this site. Good Luck

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

lylenbev wrote:

I'm an old guy... I recently retired and my wife bought me a cheap guitar to help me keep busy.  Couldn't do much with the thing, so after a little looking around I bought a classical model and there's a world of difference.  The string spacing gives me a lot more room for my fat fingers and the fingers of my left hand are very grateful for the nylon strings.  Maybe you CAN teach an old dog new tricks if you give him the right tools!!  Any other old guys out there?  Try a classical...it did the job for me!!

I can tell you from first hand knowledge one is never too old to learn how to play guitar. The level one attains is exclusively up to the indidvidual and the amount of time they spend practicing efficiently. I play professionally and teach a handful of students ranging from age 9-48. I have taught older students and most of the older students do very well. The focus seems to be stronger with the older students. Good luck and prosperous pickin'!

Give everything but up.

southpaw i think the focus is greater with the older students because they have a understanding of mortality when your young you can never grow old (thats what i thought) as i grew older my focus kinda did an about face and as long as your kickin you can learn pickin

Sounds like a bunch of old fartz to me. Me, I started playing at 14, quit at 15, and started back at a YOUNG 54. That was a little over 2 years ago. I'm still waiting for the "groupies" to come alone but it ain't happened yet. Although I did get me a wink from a little ole "blue haired" lady the other day.

Nela

NELA
Being a good ole  boy meself and liable to wander off topic at anytime What's up with your website Link it don't work.
just pretends to smile
Ark

9 (edited by Old Doll 2008-01-23 22:50:01)

Ah Nela,

Heres another wink} Can ya see those lashs from there? Another Not quite blue haired yet!

Fan. From the beautiful Emerald. How lucky are you? you have 2 fans!

Now! how hot do ya like your CoCo? of a night! lol God the wan with the blue hair just

gave me an elbow in the ribs. "Whats her Problem?}

Old Doll. The groupie lol

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

mabey having an "old fartz" page isnt such a bad idea with all these young full of pi## and viniger wipper snappers chomping at our a## we can seek refuge with our own kind and mabey...DRINK HOT COCOA! and talk about the "good ole days" when we could do all night what it takes all night and play some shuffel board or gin rummy and compair medications "boy oh boy cant wait to regress"to bad youth is waisted on the young

Russell Harding!

How could you Call Nela's second in command groupie "An Old Fartz" lol This Old Fartz is crying

in her CoCO now and Missing Nela, He must be with the blue rinse brigade tonight? lol

God musicians are so fickle. I aways look at youngfolk with this in mind..... Aged is simply away of learned being"

How many sugars in your Coco Russell ? aint groupies just as fickle lol

Old Dolly Fartz.

lena i dont know what possessed me it must have been the high colonic for lunch but alas my lady we are what we are im not sure i would like to go through what i did again once was enough but be that as it may the fact is i am an old fartz its not a terminal condition at least for a little while Thomas Wolf said it best "you can never go home again" by that i mean unless your dorian gray with a picture hanging in the closet you will have to live with the physical changes that have happened and the ones that will

Question - At what age would one be considered eligible for entrance in the Old Fartz club? At 43, I certainly don't feel like I belong, but if you were to ask my kids, I am without a doubt an Old Fart big_smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

you may enter by my proclamation and be dubbed the "old young fartz" i think i am the oldest fart so this grants me all the privilage unless an older fart usurps my proclamation

topdown wrote:

Question - At what age would one be considered eligible for entrance in the Old Fartz club? At 43, I certainly don't feel like I belong, but if you were to ask my kids, I am without a doubt an Old Fart big_smile

Yes Russ, its called practicing with the desperation of age !!I started in my 40's and I'm glad I did because you do have more focus and a huge amount of songs in your memory to choose from !

Russell_Harding wrote:

southpaw i think the focus is greater with the older students because they have a understanding of mortality when your young you can never grow old (thats what i thought) as i grew older my focus kinda did an about face and as long as your kickin you can learn pickin

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

lylenbev:

You didn't say how old you are and it doesn't really matter, age is just a state of mind. I am 53 and have been a beginner at the guitar since about 14. Starting and stopping. 12-14 hour work days, wife and kids. You know the drill. My biggest obstacle has been a total lack of musical ability. Well, anyway I have learned more in the last two years than I have all my life. Finally figured out the barre chord mystery etc. Most of what I learned is due to a good friend who is a first class musician and this site. If there is information about guitar playing you can't find on chordie or from its members I can't imagine what it would be.  I envy you being retired and having more time to play. I hope someday in the not too distant future to be able to do so as well. The most important thing is HAVE FUN!

Hello, I am an old fart and damn proud of it.I fiddled around with guitar in my teens and even tho my Dad tried to teach me I didnt have time. I made a vow in my forties that I wanted to know more than three chords and now I can play most anything and have entertained at quite a few gigs.I find guitar is the best stress relief.I am 54 but, my music makes me feel like I'm a lot younger.I play with alot of younger folks and it is amazing how music bridges generation gaps.
I think If I would have been dedicated in my younger years I could have been a lot better picker ,but just cause your an old fart don't mean you can't play if your fingers still work Keep ON Pickin!!!! Play every day and enjoy.           Wayne

Later, Wayne P

well said wilbaye and welcome you have echoed my feelings the revolution has begun

Russell!

Is this a "Mens Only Old Fartz Club"?..   Dont be going inviting me now if you only want tea and sambos made!

I done enough of that in me days.

Its Only days ago since i had the name Diva!!!. I guess some  Men have more charm then others :LOL:

Will ya ask Nela to bring The Winker! I dont want to be the only Rose among the thorns lol

Is Bonedaddy picking us all in up in the big Yellow Bus he drives! God can ya just imagine the sing song Russell

Top 100 No.1 Hit Singles of the Fifties (1956-59)*

1    SINGING THE BLUES .......... Guy Mitchell    ¤
2    DIANA .......... Paul Anka    ¤
3    JUST WALKIN' IN THE RAIN .......... Johnnie Ray
4    MEMORIES ARE MADE OF THIS .......... Dean Martin    ¤
5    ALL SHOOK UP .......... Elvis Presley
6    YOUNG LOVE .......... Tab Hunter    ¤
7    SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES .......... The Platters    ¤
8    WHATEVER WILL BE WILL BE .......... Doris Day
9    PURPLE PEOPLE EATER .......... Sheb Wooley
10    SIXTEEN TONS .......... Tennessee Ernie Ford    ¤

11    ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM ..........Everly Bros
12    MACK THE KNIFE .......... Bobby Darin
13    HOUND DOG .......... Elvis Presley
14    TOM DOOLEY .......... Kingston Trio
15    BATTLE OF NEW ORLEANS .......... Johnny Horton
16    DON'T BE CRUEL .......... Elvis Presley
17    IT'S ALL IN THE GAME .......... Tommy Edwards    ¤
18    LOVE LETTERS IN THE SAND .......... Pat Boone
19    VOLARE .......... Domenico Modugno
20    JAILHOUSE ROCK .......... Elvis Presley

21    HEARTBREAK HOTEL .......... Elvis Presley
22    APRIL LOVE .......... Pat Boone
23    ROUND AND ROUND .......... Perry Como
24    CATCH A FALLING STAR .......... Perry Como
25    ROCK AND ROLL WALTZ .......... Kay Starr    ¤
26    IT'S ONLY MAKE BELIEVE .......... Conway Twitty
27    TEDDY BEAR .......... Elvis Presley
28    A FOOL SUCH AS I .......... Elvis Presley
29    I NEED YOUR LOVE TONIGHT .......... Elvis Presley
30    VENUS .......... Frankie Avalon

31    WHEN .......... Kalin Twins
32    YELLOW ROSE OF TEXAS .......... Mitch Miller
33    TWILIGHT TIME .......... The Platters
34    THE WAYWARD WIND .......... Gogi Grant
35    WHO'S SORRY NOW? .......... Connie Francis
36    (MAIN THEME) AROUND THE WORLD .......... Victor Young
37    MARY'S BOY CHILD .......... Harry Belafonte
38    DON'T .......... Elvis Presley
39    TEQUILA .......... The Champs
40    AT THE HOP .......... Danny & the Juniors

41    HOT DIGGITY .......... Perry Como
42    LOVE ME TENDER .......... Elvis Presley
43    AROUND THE WORLD .......... Bing Crosby
44    I'LL BE HOME .......... Pat Boone
45    STUPID CUPID .......... Connie Francis
46    THAT'LL BE THE DAY .......... The Crickets
47    LONELY BOY .......... Paul Anka
48    DREAM LOVER .......... Bobby Darin
49    THE THREE BELLS .......... Browns
50    COME SOFTLY TO ME .......... Fleetwoods

51    POOR PEOPLE OF PARIS .......... Les Baxter
52    STAGGER LEE .......... Lloyd Price
53    PERSONALITY .......... Lloyd Price
54    HE'S GOT THE WHOLE WORLD IN HIS HANDS .......... Laurie London
55    I BEG OF YOU .......... Elvis Presley
56    TAMMY .......... Debbie Reynolds
57    TO KNOW HIM IS TO LOVE HIM .......... Teddy Bears
58    BIRD DOG .......... Everly Brothers
59    THE GREAT PRETENDER .......... The Platters
60    TOO MUCH .......... Elvis Presley

61    LISBON ANTIGUA .......... Nelson Riddle
62    A WHITE SPORT COAT .......... Marty Robbins
63    CHIPMUNK SONG .......... Chipmunks / David Seville
64    MAGIC MOMENTS .......... Perry Como
65    ONE NIGHT .......... Elvis Presley
66    WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE .......... Teenagers
67    MARIANNE .......... Terry Gilkyson & the Easy Riders
68    YOU SEND ME .......... Sam Cooke
69    IT'S ALMOST TOMORROW .......... Dreamweavers
70    ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK .......... Bill Haley

71    LIVING DOLL .......... Cliff Richard
72    I GOT STUNG .......... Elvis Presley
73    HARD HEADED WOMAN .......... Elvis Presley
74    BIG HUNK O' LOVE .......... Elvis Presley
75    MY PRAYER .......... The Platters
76    HEARTACHES BY THE NUMBER .......... Guy Mitchell
77    GREAT BALLS OF FIRE .......... Jerry Lee Lewis
78    POOR LITTLE FOOL .......... Ricky Nelson
79    WITCH DOCTOR .......... David Seville
80    THE GREEN DOOR .......... Jim Lowe

81    BUTTERFLY .......... Andy Williams
82    ON THE STREET WHERE YOU LIVE .......... Vic Damone
83    A WOMAN IN LOVE .......... Frankie Laine
84    SLEEPWALK .......... Santo & Johnny
85    MACK THE KNIFE .......... Louis Armstrong
86    HONEYCOMB .......... Jimmie Rodgers
87    IT DOESN'T MATTER ANYMORE .......... Buddy Holly
88    WAKE UP LITTLE SUSIE .......... Everly Brothers
89    MOONGLOW AND LOVE THEME .......... Morris Stoloff
90    PATRICIA .......... Perez Prado

91    I WANT YOU I NEED YOU I LOVE YOU .......... Elvis
92    KANSAS CITY .......... Wilbert Harrison
93    PETITE FLEUR .......... Chris Barber's Jazz Band
94    LITTLE STAR .......... Elegants
95    CAROLINA MOON  .......... Connie Francis
96    NO OTHER LOVE .......... Ronnie Hilton
97    PARTY DOLL .......... Buddy Knox
98    THE HAPPY ORGAN .......... Dave "Baby" Cortez
99    ROCK-A-BILLY .......... Guy Mitchell
100    CINDY, OH! CINDY - Eddie Fisher

Meself and Winker will do all the Shoo be doos  for yis! Buddy Knox  Wrote  that song { (97} for me
back in the days lol

You oooooh send me, Oh youooooh send me honest ya do! God wheres that fella Nela when i need him !!
HMMMMMMMMM winker comes to mind!! Go girl...

Party Doll"

Do you know Russell theres only 2 songs on that list i dont know . Yikes.

helena did you type that whole post? at your age (over thirty) you must use caution your fingers might get numb and the old fartz club is for anyone,even those poor souls with hangovers boy that can make you feel worse then old.

Wlbaye is dead on on bridging the generation gap. I am taking a guitar class at our church. I started not too because I new I would be the only "OLD Fart" and the rest would be Jr high/High school age. I went anyway. Sure felt old, but as Russell stated the focus of older "students" is greater. Most of the initial class has already quit, only two left me and a 14-15 year old girl named Kristi. When we were asked to bring some music in we wanted to learn and play I looked up some stuff on Chordie in the easy to play song book section. Picked out some stuff, Eagles, Bob Dylan, Creedance, etc. I figured Kristi would bring some new fangaled music the kids listen to today. Well she didn't bring any music and when she saw what I brought she thought it was great. She said she loved the old music more than the new stuff. With almost 40 years between our ages we are plugging away at the same tunes. Heres to "Old Farts" and good music. smile

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

texan nice post it shows good music like truth will endure

Go away for a few hours and Russ starts an old peoples revolution wrestles with Quicktime and myspace  and becomes a virgin. lol
What next Russ "Audacity"
Ark

24 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-01-24 18:49:57)

Ark its been a hell of a day and its only 12:35 and i have had to deal with to much bull$#$# from apple quick time,if your going to offer a "free"download there should not be strings attatched nor is the attempted sabatage of my profile page a way of endearing the apple corporation in the hearts of those who accepted this "free" offer the virginal quote your refering to was just for giggles and i am really not starting an old peoples revolution just blowing off some steam,not to worry my friend audacity is safe for the time being i am busy uploading some guitar vidios that deal with various chording and strumming methods the purpose being to help players who have a few years experience and to offer somethings i have picked up,other then that its been a pretty quiet day how you comming any new song your mixing?

Who are all these 50-odd year old kids claiming to be "old farts"??!!  All I want is to make my fingers move around a fretboard without pain, but it looks as if I may have started something wierd.  If you don't own a cremation plan, you ain't old.  Got to get back to practicing before the grand-babies get here.  (By the way, the youngest is about to get her Masters fromTexas Tech).  Now that's old!

Old age and treachery...