Re: barre chords?

Kahuna wrote:

Hey Tim,

I would never call anyone who uses power chords a cheater.  Yes, they really don't sound as good or as full as real barre chords, but they often do the trick.  Most rock bands use these with lots of distortions, and most of the time they sound find. 

However, if you are going to be a life-long player, knowing the correct chords will only benefit you.

Tim0473 wrote:

Sad to say that I actually found ways around barre-chording ... alot of the 5th/6th string powerchords can suppliment (ex. C5 powerchord can suppliment a barred "C" or open C) ... my buddie is a barre chord junkie and I'm still learning so I switch to my powerchords and he calls me a cheater lol but hey, it works for now until I get the barre chording down pat!

Yeah I agree Kahuna ... I frustrate easy and learned my power chords before learning my bars since it was easier for me ... now my fingers automatically go right to a power chord formation before anything ... I'll eventually get the barre chording down and you guys will be the first to know!  tongue

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Well like I have said before it is my grandpas guitar and it is older then me so I am in no position to break it. O.o

I cranked on the truss rod as best I could, but it doesn't seem like it wants to go any further, so I am not going to force it.

que, that's great news!  Where you at, Columbus area?  I'm a HUGE Blue Jacket fan (that's a hockey team for my foreign friends).
And Jerome, glad to hear that's OK form.  Like someone else mentioned, I'm practicing flipping quickly between G & C at the third position, A & D at 5, etc.

Frankster, about 2 hours North of you in a small town of New Philadelphia.

For the barre chord stuff, my thumb started to cramp badly, so i stopped and tried to shake it off. When I looked down at my thumb it was BLACK!!and hurt like CRAZY. No worries I think I just locked my thumb straight for to long and cut ALL blood flow to it and it was starving for some O2.

Still taking baby steps in getting them to ring out, but it is coming along no the less.

I was driving to Detroit last year and think I got detoured through New Philadelphia when we had the bad floods up in the Findlay area...am I in the right area?

Hurmm.. It could be, we are right off of I77, so it is a good possibility.

If you where going to Detroit from Columbus you shouldn't have went East to go though Phila.

If you go east out of Columbus on I70, when you get to Cambridge take I77 north about 45 minutes and you will be in New Phila.

Black thumb.... not good.  Unless you're black of course, in which case it's fine.   But is sure sounded like you don't NORMALLY have a black thumb.  I think that might be a clue that you were pushing too hard. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Ya I think I was just pressing way to hard. When my thumb was locked straight for that amount of time I had now oxygen getting to it.

Que,

Silly question: you had your guitar's action set-up...right?  Playing 'till your thumb is black is not normal.  If your guitar is set up correctly, you shouldn't have to press hard to form a barre chord.

que522 wrote:

Ya I think I was just pressing way to hard. When my thumb was locked straight for that amount of time I had now oxygen getting to it.

No, like I have said I have been wanting to play the guitar for quite some time. We have it set up that in the next few weeks, hopefully I will be able to get an electric guitar which is what I want to play. While talking with my family about it my Grandpa said he had an old guitar I could play around with starting to learn guitar. The action is quite high on it, so I adjusted the truss rod as best I could with out the possibility of breaking it, it is older then me so breaking it would not be a good thing. So I will live with a higher action to not break it for now, until I have the go ahead from my wife to go get a new electric guitar.

Yes, I remember now.  The high action would make barring much harder--especially on an acoustic!  For me, I leave the adjusting of the truss rod to someone I can blame if it's breaks!  I guess I'm too lazy to want to do the set up myself.  Well, probably more with being afraid of doing something that would ruin a good instrument.

I think we're doing it wrong.

Like many folks on this forum, I've been struggling with barre chords for months.  I've gotten to the point where I can do about two 10-minute sets of barre exercises in a two hour period, and then my thumb is DONE.

So, last night as I was massaging the web between my thumb and index finger (I've never had my thumb turn black, fortunately) I got to thinking about what I was doing.  When I first unpacked this guitar (Gretsch 5120), I laid my fingers on the neck in an E-form barre at the third fret (Gmajor), and it rang so effortlessly that I was stunned.  I knew that I had found MY guitar.  So why couldn't I do that all the time?

I decided to just put my fingers on the fretboard as lightly as I could to get a good ring.  To minimize ingrained bad habits, I stood up.  When I laid my fingers on the fretboard, I found myself not sqeezing with my thumb so much as pulling back with my upper arm and shoulder (which had to be counterbalanced by my right forearm on the body of the guitar).  The chord rang, just as it had that first time.  I ran through my entire ten minute set of excersises--no cramps.  I took a short break to think about what was happening, and did it again-- no cramps.  I ran through a set of power chords, some blues rhythms, and did the barres AGAIN-- no cramps.

Finger precision is now the whole ball of wax, since trying to muscle the chord into sounding is out; but that's just a matter of practice.

Boys and girls, I feel like I've found the Holy Grail!

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

practice practice practice.

I began learning a couple of months ago and barre chords sounded AWFUL at the beginning. After hours and hours and hours of playing, they sound pretty good now, but they're still the chords that take longer to form. And I have a personal problem with Bm, I hate that f***ing chord, but I think we'll come to an agreement over time.

It's all practice, and the stronger your finger gets, the better.

Edited for language

Ya. While I was practicing today I found something out about my problem. How I would do a barre chord was take the fattest part of my finger and put that one the 6th string and lay it down all the way up so the tip of my finger was hanging over a little bit, with that I could get all but the 4th and 5th string to ring out, and it turns out the string where at the first joint of my finger where there is not as much meat to it. so I moved my finger down to where the tip of my finger was on the first sting just enough to get it to ring and what that did was took the problem part of my finger off the fret board and they all rang out. I still had to apply quite a bit of pressure so that I will need to fine tune yet. But like I have said before its a working progress and it's coming along, slowly but surely.

I don't know how long I've been playing guitar for, maybe a couple of years if you put it all together but it's only the past 8 months I've been a little more committed. I first had a go at barre chords whilst waiting to go away on holiday and within ten minutes I found them easy. (For barre chords I just try to use the tips of my fingers as much as possible and also try to keep my thumb and index finger pretty much parallel). I couldn't change from an open chord to a barre chord quickly until more recently but getting them to sound alright and moving the barre chord shapes around the neck seemed a breeze. I honestly struggle with open chords more than barre chords which can be quite annoying. The one barre I struggle with is the 'B' barre shape. I have never really practised using four fingers for it as it seems too fiddly and I'm sure my hands are more suited to using the index and ring finger for it but 75% of the time I get one string too many with my ring finger, 10% of the time I'm one string short. I guess it's something that will develop with time.

I think the most important thing is that everyone will learn in their own time and at their own pace given perseverance. I'm close to many great guitarists and of them all one taught himself and was playing stuff I can't play now after only a few months, another friend of mine who is really good said he was rubbish and struggled for years but he's now played for over 18 years and you would never believed he struggled for a single day. So I always tell myself, never give up. I have days where my guitar skills (or lack of) sicken me and it's disheartening but I usually pull myself out of that by trying to prove to myself I can get past it as there were things that had me stumped in the past and I look back at them and laugh (or maybe snigger depending on whether or not my hands are warmed up).

GUITAR FOR LIFE!

I hosed myself when I first started, two years ago.

I had a Mel Bay book from which I learned my first three or four chords, and it showed the "F" chord played on the first four strings, so I never even knew there was such a thing as a barre chord.

Once I learned about this whole world of pain, I had learned "F" and "Bm" open chords, and just "cheated" my way around them.

Now I am going back and learning how to play the barre chords, because I have realized that I am missing a lot of music by not being able to play them.

A professional once told me that there is no "illegal" way to make a chord, so there is no such thing as "cheating". I live by that! smile

Just play

dguyton -

Thanks for describing your revelation.  I never play my electric, but after a bit of looking, I see that it has a much lower action.  I bought some new strings last night.  I'll restring it, put on the strap, stand up, and give your method a try. 

With some luck and a bit of effort, I'll be playing "Sister Golden Hair" in no time.  (Look at the chords - all barre forms - eek!!)

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

que522,
Don't get discouraged about not getting the good sounding barre chord, if you noticed that all or most of the people that are giving you tips have been in your shoes when we all started to get into barring chords.  We all felt the frustration and sometimes the pain in our hands from trying.  Eventually, we got it, just like you'll get it.  What kind of strings are you using?  Are they heavy, medium, or light?  Because I found that it was helpful to use light strings.  Be aware that using light strings mean that they can snap easier.  Lastlty, try to look at playing your axe as means to relax, express, and/or just having fun.  When playing music becomes frustrating, it can really affect your abilities hidden inside.

Hey DGuyton -

Thumbs up baby! 

- Zurf

45 (edited by que522 2008-02-09 15:44:14)

I got my electric guitar and barre chords are 100x easier. Not Mr. Joe Lightning at them, but then again I am not fast at any of the chords yet. I can now get B allot easier then I can get A now, big sausage finger make A a little tricky for me. But its coming along nicely.

As far as the strings on my Strat are light 9s. I bought a replacement set for when I am playing at 2A.M. and there is no place to get strings and I have one go TWING!!!! But I got 10s. going to try a little heavier strings.

EDIT: my raw-some grammar kicking in. O.o

Zurf-

Glad it helped you out.  For me it's still a challenge to remember not to try and 'strangle the neck'; as long as I can keep in mind what I'm SUPPOSED to do, as opposed to what I've always done, it's stupidly easy.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

ok put your thumb directly behind your first finger and use lighter strings untill you get used to barring after a while you will be able to play like that all day
but i prefer electric when barring

<---Isaac---{{{

I have also been struggling for a long time now and like a lot of you not all the notes ring out clearly. However I have made a breakthrough? the last couple of weeks.  I play acoustic and the action is quite high, so I put a capo on the first fret and hey presto low action and all notes sound clearly (it still takes me time to finger the chord, but its getting quicker!)

I noticed on a song that I printed out from here, a few barre chords.  But, I'm going to suck it up and learn them.  As several people have mentioned, I need to do this, accept the challenge and practice.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Hi Guys...yes I struggle with barre chords just like anyone else did at first, I've been able to get a few to ring out the way they should, but can anyone direct me to some place online that shows a graph for all barre chords?..that would help me to move on in that area..thanks guys!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down