Topic: SINGERS AND VOICES

Am I wrong if I tell that the best singers are HARDROCK or METAL singers?
- First: I don't like the style where the singer, in a heavy metal band, is singing with an horrible low voice, like SEPULTURA and some other bands.

- Second: I really like the voices of singers in some Hardrock bands, like Ronny Dio, Robert Plant, Ian Gillan from Deep Purple (= who can sing like he did, CHILD IN TIME: from a soft ballad voice up to a passionate kind of screaming. THIS IS AMAZING & WHO OF YOU, MY FELLOW CHORDIANS IS ABLE TO SING THIS SONG LIKE HE DID? It is easy to play, except for the solo.) Bonn Scott, Axl Rose and also Freddie Mercury.

- Third: Why this question: because of their ability and skills to sing starting with a regular voice and the fact that they are able to sing with a soft voice up to an almost "screaming and high" voice.
WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: SINGERS AND VOICES

I had the same kinda question but mine opinion was in reverse. The old "rockers" to me dont have the vocals that the new guys do.

AHHH, but something I JUST NOW realized that makes yours true and mine a fault. Robert Plant for example, he can sing no question, but I always thought not to be to todays standard.
Recording studios ruining the music industry?
Most of the "newer" artist dont do so well in a live setting and that may be in large part due to when they record a song the guy sitting behind the glass with all his switches and levers getting the best sound out of a persons voice where as 30+ years ago they could do it to some extent but not like today. Some vocals recorded vs. live you can barely tell they are one in the same.

Ok so now I have to go ponder on this thought awhile.

Back to your original question. Is that the main type of music you like to listen to?

I do NOT like screaming bands with one exception, Linkin Park. Why I can;t say, not sure if it is the music aspect of the band. Or the fact that when he "screams" I like the sound of it. It has a "music" quality to it.

So if you like to listen to them bands/ that type of music sometimes you can overlook aspects of a song for one part or the other because you like something about it.

I am just talking out now. Better stop, not sure if this is going to make sense to anyone other then me and the voices in my head... O.o

I was and am still a fan of PINK FLOYD, LED ZEPPELIN, CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL, DEEP PURPLE, and the OLD FLEETWOOD MAC, with Peter Greeb. Also QUEEN is high on my list.
Add a lot of others, Beatles, The Who, Stones, and also music produced now

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

concerts for newer bands are i would say more than half the time disappointing. for instance former blink-182, current angels and airwaves singer tom delonge. i cant stand his live music, but his voice on the albums is amazing. makes you wonder if bandsll eventually be replaced by computers =/

::kori::

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

Vocalists who have a powerful voice with great range are going to be drawn to music that will let them use that voice.  Progressive Hard Rock is a type music that will give many that chance.   
What is best though is always a matter of opinion,  and other genres of music also have outstanding vocalists.  Opera singers go from soft, and sweet, to loud, and raucous, displaying great range in the process. They also preform for the most part without the amplification and effects a rock band will have.

mixter, what you write is true. I first added "opera voices," changed my mind and wrote my opinion. You can hate him, you can love him, but our AXL ROSE has a very powerful voice range, Ian GILLAN the man who is for me the motor for the success of the song "Child in Time", or should I say child in timeless.
My personal opinion is that these voices are impressive both having a real great range.
WHO CAN SING CHILD IN TIME LIKE HE DID?

It is somewhat unfair to compare vocal qualities of todays singers with 30-40 years ago. Alot of the diff lies in the technolgy of sound production today that enhances, blends, reduces and falsifies true vocal ability. The early days were all about raw talent, uncluttered by the techo guys. Same goes for instrumental sound.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"