Topic: Squier Bullet vs. Fender Starcaster?

I've been playing guitar for 1-2 years now and I've been playing an acoustic but am now making the switch to electric because I like them better. I mostly play classic rock (pretty woman, sweet home Alabama, etc) with some newer stuff like All-American Rejects, Green Day..ok so just about anything. What I'm getting at is I've been looking around a bit and found a Squier Bullet ($99) at a local shop (they even had it in blue smile ) then I found a Fender Starcaster (black/silver burst) package (10W amp, strap, stand, case, headphones, etc) for $189. I'm kind of leaning towards the Bullet because it played nice and i'm a blue freak, the starcaster is enticing with the accessories but i haven't played it. I'm no expert so I was wondering which one was better? I know dollar for dollar the starcaster would be the better choice, i'm just wondering which guitar is better or if there is much of a difference?

Re: Squier Bullet vs. Fender Starcaster?

Same guitar, Starcasters are entry level made in China basswood bodies, Squires are made in Malaysa usually out of plywood. Play both of them find out what you like.

Bootlegger.

You're looking at entry-level guitars, and I don't blame you -we all have started somewhere. I don't want to sound arrogant here, but if you can wait and save these $189 bucks, you'll probably be better off buying something that costs at least twice as much. Funny thing with musical instruments: you'll make more progress faster, if the instrument is made of good materials and someone at the factory actually cared about you as a player. I have looked at the Starcaster and the Squier Bullet, they are not well made and won't last long either. Sorry.

I can imagine that these are guitars that could get you started. Let's say you get one of these starter guitars/amps: As you find this to be a fun hobby, you can always upgrade, except don't expect to ever get the money back that you're now "investing"... Have Fun!!!!

Devsterdude wrote:

I've been playing guitar for 1-2 years now and I've been playing an acoustic but am now making the switch to electric because I like them better. I mostly play classic rock (pretty woman, sweet home Alabama, etc) with some newer stuff like All-American Rejects, Green Day..ok so just about anything. What I'm getting at is I've been looking around a bit and found a Squier Bullet ($99) at a local shop (they even had it in blue smile ) then I found a Fender Starcaster (black/silver burst) package (10W amp, strap, stand, case, headphones, etc) for $189. I'm kind of leaning towards the Bullet because it played nice and i'm a blue freak, the starcaster is enticing with the accessories but i haven't played it. I'm no expert so I was wondering which one was better? I know dollar for dollar the starcaster would be the better choice, i'm just wondering which guitar is better or if there is much of a difference?

If you don't find an MIM (made in mexico) you can build an american made strat type guitar from a kit for between $300.00 to $600.00 american. Of course it depends on the hardware or pickups you want. PM me and I will get you the places to source the parts.

Bootlegger.

check out standard 101 it looks and sounds like a strad it even has a double coil pickup at the bridge plus the 5 posistion toggle for split tones i have one and have used it on all my electric tracks,it cost around 200.00 great action and a Wammy to boot

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks for all the opinions. I went back to look at it again and the bullet had really bad action. so i'm starting to look around again. At another store i found a Ibanez, grx40 i think. that played really smooth and was just wondering if what your opinions on them were?

Here's some reviews at Harmony Central;

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi … GRX40/10/1

Beware some of these guys who are clearly comparing with top-flight spec guitars. I've found alot to like in my Ibanez bass. The other thing is keep playing differing makes, maybe you'll find a Squier Bullet that has a good action. Quality can vary year to year, model to model. I even reckon that sometimes body blanks or necks just get lucky with wood and fit, resulting in a superior guitar amongst the dross. Good luck with your quest!

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

One thing I found out about choosing an electric guitar, if you find a couple hundred dollar guitar that feels just right and has just the right sound even after playing it for a couple of years why would you listen to a guitar snob who says you just GOTTA spend big bucks for a Fender or a Gibson Wahoo Deeelux Edition/IV Sooper Dooper because it cost more so it's got to be a better guitar.  I've played and owned some of the so called best guitars but my favorite for the last five years has been a Squier Showmaster 20th Anniversary that I paid $139 for brand new.  Two single coils, a humbuck and a wang bar and it does everything I want it to from blues to rock.  It's all in the sound and how your hand fits around the neck not the Logo.

I just got a Squier Bullet Strat and I think it's a good guitar.I also have a real Stratocaster and I don't think that the difference in price shows the difference between the guitars.