Topic: Learning?

For learning a new song, OK my first song. Should you commit a line to memory, as so it's almost second nature before moving on to the next line?

I am attempting to get "Time of You Life" by Green Day.

2 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-01-27 06:10:51)

Re: Learning?

no. put all the lines in front of you and just keep singing the words from the paper before you,sooner or later it will sink in  just sing along with the recording it will be easier to memorize

"Growing old is not for sissies"

well I can hear music in my head I have heard the song about 1/2 a million times. Its a matter of PLAYING it thats got me a little flustered, however since my last post I have got my problem area down for now.

I am not have a hard time with the fret hand, I can generally go to the right frets, not that they are that hard of moves but even so. My problem comes from my right hand going DAAAA what sting??

It goes string wise  "6-4-2-3-6-4-2-3-5-4-2-3-4-3-2-3" So I was having a hard time going up when I should have been going down, ect.

does this just mean chord these out, meaning go Em, play the strings you need, Dsus4, play the strings you need and so on?

Em    Dsus4    C9    G

|---------------------------------------------|

|-----3---------3----------3---------3--------|

|-------0-----2---2----------0---------0------|

|---2-------0------------2---------0----------|

|----------------------3----------------------|

|-0------------------------------3------------|

4 (edited by arkady 2008-01-27 08:20:54)

que522
If this is the first song you are trying to learn then I think you may have bitten off more than you can chew.
Try something eaiser with a more simple chord progression there millions out there.
If you expect to much you might get frustrated and ditch the whole guitar thing.

Ark

arkady is correct try to focus on somthing that can lead you to where you want to be with your picking,to much to soon is not a good thing because learning is a slow methodical approach and to be honest i have played for over 45 yrs. and i dont understand all of your diagrams,simplifly less is more

"Growing old is not for sissies"

hurmmm. OK well back to the drawing board.

Que,

I play this song also, but I simplified it!  Instead of trying to play Dsus4, I just a basic D.  The same goes with the C9, I just play the regular C.  It sounds just about the same. 

This is a good song to practice, but the strumming pattern may throw you off a bit.  But, don't get discouraged.  This is a good song, but may take a bit longer to make it perfect. 

Good luck and play often.

que522 wrote:

well I can hear music in my head I have heard the song about 1/2 a million times. Its a matter of PLAYING it thats got me a little flustered, however since my last post I have got my problem area down for now.

I am not have a hard time with the fret hand, I can generally go to the right frets, not that they are that hard of moves but even so. My problem comes from my right hand going DAAAA what sting??

It goes string wise  "6-4-2-3-6-4-2-3-5-4-2-3-4-3-2-3" So I was having a hard time going up when I should have been going down, ect.

does this just mean chord these out, meaning go Em, play the strings you need, Dsus4, play the strings you need and so on?

Em    Dsus4    C9    G

|---------------------------------------------|

|-----3---------3----------3---------3--------|

|-------0-----2---2----------0---------0------|

|---2-------0------------2---------0----------|

|----------------------3----------------------|

|-0------------------------------3------------|

Ah, I would just go with the chords and mind about the picking later...

Time of your life is not that hard... G C D quite fast if I remember correctly? Chord playing will give you huge satisfaction that will keep you hooked. Let picking for later....
in my ultra humble opinion of course.

I play this song also...I took the time to learn the picking pattern for the intro but to be honest I never play it. I play it G 320033  Cadd9 032033  D 000232 for the verses. This alows the ring finger to be a pivot for the other chords (the pinky finger never moves for the verses). The chorus is just Em, D, Cadd9, G  x 2  Then Em, G x2 then Em, D once... The strumming pattern for the song is dduudu. You'll find that once you get the song down that a light touch with the pick at the beginning and during the breaks in the song will give you the picking sound you want without really having to get the pattern down. Unless you just want to play it 100% accurate... Here's a link to an older vid of me doing this song. Sorry for the bad playing...lol, but it'll give you an idea of how to finger the chords easily and the strumming pattern for the song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn4tOzpwqjU This was also one of my first songs! Peace! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]