Topic: Danelctro 12-string?

Hey, a guy I know has a Danelectro 12-string with 3 lipstick pickups.  It has been very gently used and is basically new.  I'm a little apprehensive about a 12-string, though.  I don't know if I'll get bored with the sound and want a 6-string.  How will this thing sound overdriven? I did get a chance to play it, and I love the feel and sound.  The top E strings are dead notes when played on the 22nd fret, but I think that could be fixed by raising the action slightly? He's asking $300 for the guitar, case, a 30-watt Crate amp, and a portable amp tha came with the guitar.  I know it's a great deal, but any extra info on this guitar would be appreciated.  Thanks

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Danelctro 12-string?

No one has any experience with one if these? How about any info on an electric 12-string in general?

Switchfoot

If you like it, I say go for it! Also, if you decide that you would rather play a 6-string, you can take off half of the strings and instantly have a 6-string Danelectro. It does look a little goofy playing a 12-string guitar with only 6 strings but a friend of mine does it all the time... He bought a 12-string Martin and decided that he'd rather play a 6-string. Personally, i don't think 12-string guitars sound that great if you use much overdrive... but you may like it. 12-string guitars have such a beautiful clean sound and they sound really cool if you put them in an open tuning and play with a slide.

Electric:  Schecter C-1, Hot-rodded strat
Acoustic: Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Epiphone

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

shredfiend wrote:

If you like it, I say go for it! Also, if you decide that you would rather play a 6-string, you can take off half of the strings and instantly have a 6-string Danelectro. It does look a little goofy playing a 12-string guitar with only 6 strings but a friend of mine does it all the time... He bought a 12-string Martin and decided that he'd rather play a 6-string. Personally, i don't think 12-string guitars sound that great if you use much overdrive... but you may like it. 12-string guitars have such a beautiful clean sound and they sound really cool if you put them in an open tuning and play with a slide.

Is this a good brand quality-wise?

Switchfoot

5 (edited by Tennessee Strat 2008-01-24 03:52:28)

Danelectro is considered a "GOOD" brand, if you know what to expect. Jimmy Page played one, if that's any indication. The way they're constructed is quite simple, with the top and back made out of Masonite -that's by no means a tonewood. But the lipstick pickups on a Dano are in their own league.

Now to the electric 12-string: Danelectro six and twelve strings always sound a little "jangly" -not exactly ideal for a blues player, but the 12-string guitars always are a little on the treble side. I have owned 12-string acoustics and still have a 6+12-string doubleneck guitar. You won't become a super lead player on a 12-string, since they lend themselves more for rhythm strumming. Overdriven 12-string electrics don't sound pleasing to me, ever. As a main axe, I cannot recommend them (Not even the $1800 Rickenbacker made out of real wood).

Since you've already played the guitar and seem to like it, ask if you can try it at home for a week... That would help you decide if Danelectro is for you.

Thanks for the info, guys.  Anyone else have any experience playing one of these?

Switchfoot

Hi 06, maybe you've already read these, maybe you haven't, but here's a link to user reviews on Harmony Central

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi … tring/10/1

Hope it helps!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

So do you think that raising the action a little bit will stop the high E strings from hitting the neck lipstick? When I played it, I noticed that the action was very low, without causing any buzzing.  It was nice to play like that, but if I'm trying to solo, the dead E strings on the 22nd fret will be annoying.

Switchfoot

You should probably see if there is a way to lower the neck pickup slightly. I've never adjusted the pickup height on a Danelectro but it shouldn't be much different than any other guitar.

Electric:  Schecter C-1, Hot-rodded strat
Acoustic: Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Epiphone

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

shredfiend wrote:

You should probably see if there is a way to lower the neck pickup slightly. I've never adjusted the pickup height on a Danelectro but it shouldn't be much different than any other guitar.

Any idea of how this is done?

Switchfoot

06sc500 wrote:
shredfiend wrote:

Any idea of how this is done?

Never mind, I figured it out.  Easy adjustment, just a few screws on the back of the guitar lowered the pickups.  Actually, it tightened them.  They were quite loose before, and they were hitting the strings on the 20 and 21st frets.  Anyway, I have the guitar at my home with me.  He's letting me try it for a few days.  I tried out the little "amp in a bag" that came with the case-surprisingly loud for a 3 inch speaker, also has overdrive and a headphone jack.  I also am trying the 30-watt Crate.  I love the Crate-lots of features, but not so many where it becomes confusing.  Has 3 channels, clean, drive, and chorus.  I really don't need 30 watts, but who cares? Unlike most people, I actually like the sound of the guitar overdriven rather than clean.  It really gives a much more full sound than a 6-string.  The body is a lttile different, Strat-like, but angled slightly.  It has the best high-fret access of any guitar I've played.  Also, the 7-way pickup switching is a great feature.
Am I buying it? Well, I'm letting him know for sure yes or no tommorow.  I really don't think I'm going to find a better deal.  The guitar, gig bag, mini amp, cable, and Crate amp all for $300.  Besides, I really love the guitar.  I was a little unsure about having a 12-string as my main electric, but it does everything a 6-string does, and more.  Soloing, as I found, is actually easier with 12 strings (and no, I am not very proficient at soloing).  My little review here probably sounds like a load of bull-not everything can be that good, can it? I'll admit, the guitar has it's flaws-I'm not crazy about the looks, it only has 21 frets, no tremolo system, there are some songs were the 12-string doesn't sound as good as a 6, tuning takes a while, and changing strings won't be fun.  Despite this, I find that my personal preference is the 12-string, for the feel, playability, and sound.  I'll let you guys know if I buy it.  Again, thanks for all the helpful reviews and info on Dano guitars.

Switchfoot