Topic: Fret markers

I played a friends guitar today and noticed something odd I think. The third fret is unmarked which I had seen before but the seventh fret had two dots just like the twelth fret. I can't recall ever having seen this before. Does this indicate something? The guitar is a Maderi distributed by Guild. At least I hope I rememebered that name right.

Thanks,

"R"

Re: Fret markers

My Takamine G Series acoustic has no mark on the 3rd either. It takes a little getting used to.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

My Yamaha FG-75 doesn;t have a making on the third fret.

As for as the seventh fret, only one here.

I know some Martin's used the double dots on the 7th

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

I thought that the double dots normally represents the nut, which is normally on the 12th fret!  Maybe I'm wrong here, so anyone please correct me!

The nut is at the end of the neck. Most guitars normally have double dots on the 12th, I think because thats where the string is perfectly in half.

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

etc,

I should have been more clear.  The 12th fret is the start over point, similar to where the nut is at the top of the neck!  So, you can put a capo on the 12th fret, you can play the same chords as you would at the nut.  That's why the double dots are there. 

etc_04 wrote:

The nut is at the end of the neck. Most guitars normally have double dots on the 12th, I think because thats where the string is perfectly in half.

Kahuna wrote:

etc,

I should have been more clear.  The 12th fret is the start over point, similar to where the nut is at the top of the neck!  So, you can put a capo on the 12th fret, you can play the same chords as you would at the nut.  That's why the double dots are there. 

etc_04 wrote:

Double dot is the marker wher your guitar changes ocatve.

Bootlegger.