Topic: "B"

What sadist came up with that chord?  Fess up!  I want to know where to direct my heinous thoughts.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: "B"

I did it man, I'm sorry.  I came up with it as a joke; I really didn't expect anybody to actually use the thing!

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

That's the reason why I always start talking about E, A, D, C even G is more difficult.
For an absolute beginner: it's a torture to play F B, unless you play them in barré. The B chord can be played on the fourth fret, like the A chord but 2 frets higher. This is looks easy, but you have to stay away from the first 2 strings and the 6th string.
Best way: in barré on fret 7.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

agreed, 7 fret B is the best.  i have an acoustic 12 string and i like to play it with the high strings open.  really makes it ring.

Bar 7 is best but sometimes a little high. Does anyone play it 02444x (from low E to high E)?? I know it's cheating to ignore the first string but as Zurf points out it's damn hard.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Use a B7 and say "that's jaaazzz"

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

geoaguiar, I play it also on fret 4, as you said. But I'm a quick chord changer, from a regular D, not in barre, up to B(in barre).
I adore quick changes.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Has anyone tried the two finger barre? The index finger covers all strings on the 2nd fret; ring finger covers the bottom four strings on the 4th fret; add pinky to bottom string 5th fret you got your B7..It's about the only B/B7th I play anymore.
Try it, you'll like it.....

John

i use 1st finger bar 2nd fret 3rd finger 4th fret 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings mute both high and low e strings or you can play a bar f posistion 7th fret or try 1st finger 4th fret bar 2nd 3rd and 4th mute 1st 3rd finger 6th fret 5th string 4th finger 7th fret 6th string or capo 4th fret and play open g for b open c for e open d for f# for the relative minor play open e minor

"Growing old is not for sissies"

geoaguiar wrote:

Bar 7 is best but sometimes a little high. Does anyone play it 02444x (from low E to high E)?? I know it's cheating to ignore the first string but as Zurf points out it's damn hard.

Who cares if if it's "cheating"?  If it works, do it.

I was wondering who came up with Bm and was planning on giving the guy a visit..but I just kept on doing it over and over (from G to Bm) and now it's coming along nicely. It's all about practice and free time tongue

gitaardocphil wrote:

geoaguiar, I play it also on fret 4, as you said. But I'm a quick chord changer, from a regular D, not in barre, up to B(in barre).
I adore quick changes.

I've got pretty good @ switching with the 4th fret B as well but it took a while. I find myself using it quite a bit. in some cases, I like the sound more. thanks for backing me up Doc!

Elvis Costello

mixter102 wrote:
geoaguiar wrote:

I agree, unless you're playing arpeggio who can tell.
Finger 024440 as best you can and aim to strum only the 2444 muting the bottom E with the forefinger (the one fingering 2).
Does this make sense ? I know what I mean but I might have explained it poorly.

aj1 wrote:
mixter102 wrote:
geoaguiar wrote:

I agree, unless you're playing arpeggio who can tell.
Finger 024440 as best you can and aim to strum only the 2444 muting the bottom E with the forefinger (the one fingering 2).
Does this make sense ? I know what I mean but I might have explained it poorly.

Make sense to me. I'd say its 02444x and I use my ring finger to bar the 4th fret and mute the high e.

Elvis Costello

I think that if you're going to barre a B chord on the 2nd fret, might as well do it the right way.  This is because other barre chords also use this same shape.  Other barre chords like C, D, E, and F all use this shape right up the neck.  So, why not do it right, so you can run up and down the neck without changing shape? 

Just my two cents!

Kahuna wrote:

I think that if you're going to barre a B chord on the 2nd fret, might as well do it the right way.  This is because other barre chords also use this same shape.  Other barre chords like C, D, E, and F all use this shape right up the neck.  So, why not do it right, so you can run up and down the neck without changing shape? 

Just my two cents!

I do use it up and down the board but I simply mute the high e string. It's a handy shape.

Elvis Costello

sumelton1 wrote:

Wonderful idea, but a jazz version of "West Bound and Down".....  Do you think anyone would accept it?  Maybe I just need a banjo.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

im not anti semetic but a "jews harp" would fit in, boing boing and easy to pick

Zurf wrote:
sumelton1 wrote:

Wonderful idea, but a jazz version of "West Bound and Down".....  Do you think anyone would accept it?  Maybe I just need a banjo.

- Zurf

You are exactly right!!

Kahuna wrote:

Just my two cents!

The B is but a small obstacle. It just takes a little time and effective application. This is how I introduce my students to the world of Bmajor.(x=do not play) Proceed only after feeling comfortable with each level.
1=pointer finger 2=middle finger 3=ring finger 4=pinky finger
step1) x24xxx ( fingers 1 & 3)
step2) x244xx  (fingers  1,2, & 3)
step3)x2440x   (Same as above)
step4)x2444x    (fingers 1 & 3, bend finger 3 at first joint and barre 4th fret)     
step5)x24442   ( sames as above plus pointer finger barres 2nd fret)

Envision, conquer, jam on...............

Give everything but up.

hi everyone i am a continous newbie having tried miserably many times over the years doing the best i have ever done with this site, iam doing fairly well with e,a,d,g,c and some other minors but i cannot do b or f or barre chords even when i try them they are all  muffled, i think having sausage fingers doesnt help, anyway thanks for a great site smile

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

22 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-02-04 12:09:11)

daveey read my above post on using a capo

daveey wrote:

hi everyone i am a continous newbie having tried miserably many times over the years doing the best i have ever done with this site, iam doing fairly well with e,a,d,g,c and some other minors but i cannot do b or f or barre chords even when i try them they are all  muffled, i think having sausage fingers doesnt help, anyway thanks for a great site smile

um i just wanna know if any 1 else plays it like...
cos thats how i learnt it but it sounds really wrong lol.  yikes  o:

:o____"SHOOT FOR THE MOON, EVEN IF YOU MISS YOU WILL LAND AMONGST THE STARS"____o:

There's a "B" chord?

crap.

Just play

Oldnewbie wrote:

There's a "B" chord?

crap.

I don't recommend it. 

The B chord I mean.  You should definitely crap.