Topic: MUSIC YOU DON'T LIKE

Usually the question is what music do you love.

I DON'T LIKE
- OPERETTAS and MUSICALS (playing theatre in combination with singing. It looks ridiculous seeing "I'm singing in the rain" takataktat tap dancing. It disturbs the movie a lot.
- MUSIC from countries like INDIA (I've been there 18 years ago), very monotone and soon
   boring, they sound all the same.
- MUSIC from CHINA, JAPAN
- ARAB MUSIC
  This music is monotone, maybe it is me who don't like to study more that kind of music.

WHAT KIND OF MUSIC "YOU" DON'T LIKE?
CORRECTION: There are movies where a few songs are present and are real good.
The greatest movie I saw was PAT GARETT & BILLY THE KID, with Bob Dylan playing a song.
He wrote the music and one of my all time favourites is the album with music.
He plays a song, and using the same  chords Bob had a few variations about the main theme.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: MUSIC YOU DON'T LIKE

Hi Doc,
Actually, I enjoy musical theater and operettas and even classical opera.  I agree that some of it can seem rather ridiculous - but that just means it was poorly staged or performed.  Using words, song, and dance together can be a delightful and powerful way to tell a story.

I think that musical theater in all its forms is an ancient tradition that harkens back to tribal times when tales of heroic deeds were told and retold around the communal campfire.  My guess is that ancient tales such as Beowulf and the Nordic Sagas were passed on through the generations by talented storytellers who used every means at their disposal (song, dance, spoken words, etc.) to dramatize the tales.

Regarding music from Asia, The Orient, and Middle East - - - I find that stuff to be 'interesting', but it does not move me deeply or make me want to learn how to play it.  However, the so-called 'World Music' genre which incorporates elements from diverse musical traditions is quite fascinating to me.

The only sort of music I find to be totally unlikable is Gansta Rap (or whatever this 'Gonads & Guns' stuff is being called today).  It's simply stupid lyrics blurted out by inarticulate boobs who seem to have absolutely nothing interesting to communicate and extremely limited musical abilities.  Some Rap and Hip Hop is mildly interesting - but most of it is just commercial product pumped out by fast-buck producers.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Rap and Hip-Hop music upon it's birth used to be fun, interesting, multi-topical, and full of clever, witty lyrics. Groups such as Sugar Hill Gang and Kurtis Blow were some of the good stuff of which I speak. Todays Rap/Hip-Hop, and now I will not call it music due to the majority of non-musicians in the genre, is a cluttered with uni-topical themes, self-grandiose attitudes,  empty inarticulate vocal-vomit , and tough-guy posturing. How many ways can one say "look at how much money I have and I'll shoot you with my gun if you disrespect me." It's unimaginative crud and  a sad fact that this empty noise has become the voice of a generation. Whewwww....I feel better now!

Rodney Carrington has a song that further elaborates on the current rap culture. Available on YouTube titled RapStar........... I won't provide a direct link due to some inappropriate language for minors.

Give everything but up.

well said i agree 100%

"Growing old is not for sissies"

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Rap and Hip-Hop music upon it's birth used to be fun, interesting, multi-topical, and full of clever, witty lyrics. Groups such as Sugar Hill Gang and Kurtis Blow were some of the good stuff of which I speak. Todays Rap/Hip-Hop, and now I will not call it music due to the majority of non-musicians in the genre, is a cluttered with uni-topical themes, self-grandiose attitudes,  empty inarticulate vocal-vomit , and tough-guy posturing. How many ways can one say "look at how much money I have and I'll shoot you with my gun if you disrespect me." It's unimaginative crud and  a sad fact that this empty noise has become the voice of a generation. Whewwww....I feel better now!

I second that,  Todays hip-hop is so simple musically, its one sampled hook repeated over and over,  anyone can do it.

I Despise Jazz.

James, this is indeed correct. It's REALLY difficult to imagine TODAY a world without all the different ways used as communication. It is also amazing to see the evolution. I think in terms of "what really changed from the year 1500 until 1800? Clothes, fashion? In 1800 a lot of things started to change: factories, bike, and the start of the car industrie, photography. Again a status quo with a slow progression and evolution. Look to the period 1990 until today. In those 18 years more things changed than in two centuries. About communication: in the later Middle Ages, the people living in a village or town, didn't have the way to communicate. NEWS was told by travelling people, explaining and singing, with animation on paper, pointing with a stick on every image accompanied with a guy playing lute, flute, fiddle. They also were present on "public executions" the event of the year, surrounded by hundreds of poor people who were able to shout and spit on the victim. Just like in the old ROME "bread and games", not so funny games. Coming back on the travelling minstrels going from town to town to "sing" messages.
THIS IS MY BIGGEST INTEREST = HISTORY. Evolution of languages like the changed English language in the USA. See also South Africa, Australia.
ABOUT MUSIC I DON'T LIKE, I adore opera, but not Operetta and certainly not MUSICALS.
- JAZZ: yes and no. I despise FREE JAZZ, but I love more "dixie" jazz.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]