Topic: MUSIC STYLES

Again some questions.
- How many different styles are there in USA music.
A lot of artists who are HUGE in the USA are unknown here in BELGIUM.
- Do we have a popular OWN music style? yes, but I can't explain. We have DUTCH songs and FRENCH songs.
Our country is weird and quit exceptional. FLANDRES and WALLONIA, add our capital BRUSSELS, and German speaking people in the east of Belgium. We have 6 different governments, resulting in 49 "MINISTERS" and 9 "secretaries of state"(similar to minister, but less powerful. 

- Do the "native" Americans have their own style? Or did it disappear?
- A completely different point: Some "Afro-american" stars are in fact NOT AT ALL real afro-americans.
Take HALE BERRY shouting when she received an Oscar, that this was a victory for "Afro-Americans" (but she's only 50% afro-american). Also in politics, can we say that he is a real black afro-american?
I don't understand at all why they claim to be a "real afro-american" with a very clear "light or whiter" skin?
- This topic started with music categories, but while surfing I found this, and being an European, this phenomenon looks strange.
- WHO, WHYT and WHAT? is the reason?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: MUSIC STYLES

Phil my friend,

The blues they originated in America.

Bootlegger.

Doc, It would be almost impossible to list all of the different styles of music in America.  We are a land of Immigrants,  and we all brought our native music with us.  Much of American music is a mixture of different ethnicities forming something all together new.  Like Jazz which is African rhythms and forms played on western instruments, with western chord, and/or  modal progressions.

Most Americans have Mixed ancestry as well,  Many African Americans  have some "white" ancestry as well,  But that does not make them any less "real" African American.

That's what it's all about mixter.
Boot: I know we discussed this already. My question is in fact not as I wanted. Of course, seeing all immigrants (did you know that one of the biggest were Germans) bringing us Irish, Scottish, Italian, German, English styles. Put all these styles in a blender and the outcome has to be fantastic. BUT MY PRIMARY QUESTION IS: THE NATIVE AMERICAN MUSIC.
the blues DID start in the US. When harvesting cotton, the Afro-Americans, 150 years ago, were singing songs, but I think the blues started already in Africa.
Due to the discrimination in the 50ties and 60ties, it was "not done" to listen to the "devil's music" and British sailors loved that music, bringing it to Europe resulting in great blues performers, sending back the blues to the USA. This is what I found:
The most important direct antecedent of the blues was the spiritual, a form of religious song.
Aside from the spirituals, African American work songs were an important precursor to the modern blues; these included the songs sung by labourers.
The earliest blues-like music was a "functional expression, rendered in a call-and-response style
Many of these blues elements, such as the call-and-response format, can be traced back to the music of Africa.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hi guys

I thought call and response originated in church when only one or two people could read;  The caller would read a line from the psalm or hymn and the congregation would repeat it so everyone got the words!

Just my twopenn'orth

cool Professor Bonedaddy

I'm the son of rage and love

Yes Professor. As I wrote it started with a "gospel style". When they worked you had one person calling followed by response.
A nice equivalent is "THE ARMY". They sing a lot that Manfred Mann's song Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do" (movies!!!!???) and the sergeant sings a military version of the phrase: There she was just a-walkin' down the street, singing. Answered by the soldiers: DO WAH...
This is one of the best reference to compare CALL and RESPONSE.
DIDDY DIDDY DUM  "DADDY BONE" I couldn't help it sorry, it's too funny to keep it for myself
big_smile smile

Blues is American.  Blues roots are varied including some Gospel (Memphis style blues) some call and response (Chicago style blues) some French and Appalachian folk music (Delta blues) and a bunch of other styles.  The roots may have come from around the world, but the Blues is American.  And while we're at it, I'm laying claim to Bluegrass, 60's era Soul, and Jazz too!  I'll let Europe take Disco and Dance Remix   [NOTE: I don't think the former is true. I just refuse to accept the truth of the matter of Disco's origination.  It's much easier on my psyche to blame Europe.]

Asking whether someone is black enough has become a pre-occupation of American press and is a racist and ridiculous question.  Presuming that all blacks act alike is the racist part, and to presume that there's a "blackness" that is "watered down" by other races is ridiculous.  I can understand how you would be confused by it.  Just know that parentage or genetics doesn't matter because when someone asks that question they are really asking a behavioral and socio-economic question rather than a biologic or genetic question.  Trying to understand it in the sensible, scientific, non-racist terms you are using will not result in a satisfactory answer.   Thank God for people like you who don't understand that brand of racism!!! 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Blues has many "African" traits, but it is most definitely  an American creation.   It also gave root too Jazz, and Rock.   

Disco is also an American creation,  it's a Marketing term that was used to sell crappy over produced R&B in the late 70's.   There is nothing wrong with Dance music,  Blues, Jazz and Rock all started as Dance music.  It only sucks when it's a Soulless product,  marketed to  the young,  much like Hip-Hop today.

Zurf wrote:

I'll let Europe take Disco and Dance Remix   [NOTE: I don't think the former is true. I just refuse to accept the truth of the matter of Disco's origination.  It's much easier on my psyche to blame Europe.]

- Zurf

I'm with Zurf on this one - The Bee Gees were English, so it's all their fault! wink

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

mixter102 wrote:

Disco is also an American creation.

(said with fingers in ears and eyes tightly shut)
Lalalalalalalalalalalala.  I can't hear you!  Lalalalalalalalala.  Nobody's listening!

big_smile

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:
mixter102 wrote:

Lalalalalalalalalalalala.  I can't hear you!  Lalalalalalalalala.  Nobody's listening!

big_smile

- Zurf

Sometimes folks you have to take the good with the bad,  But if it is any consolation, "Boy bands' are most definitely a European (British) creation.

mixter102 wrote:
Zurf wrote:
mixter102 wrote:

big_smile

- Zurf

Sometimes folks you have to take the good with the bad,  But if it is any consolation, "Boy bands' are most definitely a European (British) creation.

Yeah, New Kids On The Block, Backstreet Boys (did anyone think that one through? lol), Boyz II Men anyone?!!!

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

Bad I can take.  But not disco!

If I had to choose which room in Hell I had to spend eternity, the boy band room or the disco room, it would most certainly be the boy band room.  At least there is interesting harmonizing.  I almost wrote hormonizing, but that would have been a Freudian slip. 

- Zurf

bonedaddy wrote:
mixter102 wrote:
Zurf wrote:

big_smile

- Zurf

Yeah, New Kids On The Block, Backstreet Boys (did anyone think that one through? lol), Boyz II Men anyone?!!!

cool

*holds up sword*

We should impale you for mentioning these atrocities....