Topic: mods for fender hot rod deluxe amp

just wondering if their were any hot rod owners out their who know some mods to make on this amp to make it sound better. I've heard of changing tube brand and I've also seen an omnisonic volume box they sell on ebay.    I use it for practice now but would like to use it for gigging someday.

"We don't like their sound.  Groups of guitars are on the way out."

Decca Records rejecting the beatles in 1962

Re: mods for fender hot rod deluxe amp

Do a search for torres enginering they are in san mateo calif. Dan does a lot with amps and mods.

Bootlegger.

Thanks alot Bootlegger, They got alot of amp kits on their website think I'll find what I need there.

"We don't like their sound.  Groups of guitars are on the way out."

Decca Records rejecting the beatles in 1962

I have a Hot Rod Deluxe, I have only played a gig with it twice, but was complimented on my tone both times by players and friends. I play acoustic mostly through an acoustic amp but I was using my Acoustic Electric Alverez Yairi which has great electronics and gets a cool sound, I have a G/L Legacy
Special that sounds great,real bluesy, so I havent considered changing mine yet.Let me know what you learn.
Thanks Wayne

Wayne

Later, Wayne P

5 (edited by cytania 2008-01-30 15:44:09)

The simplest mod with valves amps is changing tubes, look on tube sites and you'll find all sorts of tone claims, just make sure you match the basic tube type. The torres site has kits that are more ambitious, usually involving soldering in superior components, don't attempt these unless you have some electronics experience such as decent soldering technique, although they do provide decent instructions and even courses.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Why on earth would you want to modify your hot rod deluxe!? I happen to think they have an awesome tone without touching a thing. Maybe you would want to upgrade the speaker, but they sound glorious from the factory. I'd advise saving your money and upgrading parts on your guitar or maybe buying a couple pedals.

Electric:  Schecter C-1, Hot-rodded strat
Acoustic: Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Epiphone

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

shredfiend wrote:

Why on earth would you want to modify your hot rod deluxe!? I happen to think they have an awesome tone without touching a thing. Maybe you would want to upgrade the speaker, but they sound glorious from the factory. I'd advise saving your money and upgrading parts on your guitar or maybe buying a couple pedals.

HRD's are good amps. With a little work they can be amazing amps.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

I was told that if you change the speaker from the Eminence to a Celestion, the sound would be better.  I haven't done it, so I'm not sure.  Thoughts??

shredfiend wrote:

Kahuna wrote:

I was told that if you change the speaker from the Eminence to a Celestion, the sound would be better.  I haven't done it, so I'm not sure.  Thoughts??

shredfiend wrote:

Celeston green backs, as the name implies it will cost but you will also have a good speaker. The Jensens in the the H.R. delux arn't bad.

Bootlegger.