Topic: Newbie Practice Routine

Hi everyone,

I just started playing guitar and I would like some help with a practice routine.

Let me outline my current routine.
I have learned a few chords (A, C, D, E, G) and here's what I do to practice them.

I have a spreadsheet with one chord progression: Say C --> D.  I record the number of times I can switch between them in one minute and then two minutes.  I then record the times I can switch between them (C to D = 1 progression) and I do this for 1 week.  I then move to the next one C --> E for instance.

I find my progress is really slow.  I also find that I cannot hammer down on any chord.  What I mean by this is: I must put one finger down on the string/fret, then my next finger and then my last finger and not simulatenously.  I have trouble putting all three fingers in the proper position at the same instance.  Is this normal?  It's quite frustrating at the moment and was hoping if anyone has any tips on how to practice or to speed up my progress?

Thanks in advance!

yu217171

2 (edited by loudothedew 2008-01-26 18:40:46)

Re: Newbie Practice Routine

Try playing without looking at the fretboard, as it seems like that may be why you're forced to put your fingers down in a certain order.  When you just memorize how your fingers are sort of "locked into place" for a specific chord, you'll find that it's a lot easier to play them one after another.  You said that you've just started playing--don't expect to be a professional right away, it takes a lot of time and a lot of practice.  Just stick with it, and don't lose faith smile

I'm not sure if what you're doing now is the best method of practice.   Try playing through ALL of the chords in a random order, not just two chords back and forth.  I'd also recommend learning some really basic three-chord songs (look into Creedence Clearwater Revival, that kind of group) so that you can play along with them.  I've also found that learning to sing and play at the same time helps with this sort of thing.  You also don't want to limit yourself to just those 5 chords; learn as many as you can.  Find songs that you like and find their chord patterns and play backup guitar if you don't want to play lead (which you don't seem to want to do).

That's a lot of unorganized information, hopefully you can take something useful from it!  Don't hesitate to ask if you've any more questions,

Lou

edit:  for bands to look into, look that the "public books" section here, that's what helped me learn to play and sing at the same time.

3 (edited by Old Doll 2008-01-26 18:50:53)

Yu217171,

Having come to play the guitar late in life...

59th bridge street song { Feelin Groovy } 2 beats per chord. down .down up.

Its repetive, D A E A. In the beginning i just played this over and over.
Untill it nearly drove me nuts!  Now i hate the song, but it got me moving
my fingers  easily and swiftly. Then move on to the next lot.  Do learn it properly as i didnt with the G  chord.
I still hit the bottom E string first with the G, because i didnt learn it properly in the first place. Its very hard to undo this learned habit.

With the D A E i just started adding the minors to it, by making up my own little pattern.. Never did time myself.  to much pressure i feel.

Now believe me the experts here will give you sound advice. This is just my humble offering.

Good luck and have patience.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

4 (edited by johncross21 2008-01-26 19:11:09)

try not to focus just on the chord shape

try to think about the finger movements which take you from one chord to another

so an A to a C

3rd finger up and right
   2nd finger up
   1st finger down and left

think about it as you change chord slowly

sounds "clunky" but will help and

play some songs. find some easy songs in the public books

learning has to be fun

Yu,

Glad to hear you're practicing and learning progressions.  My feedback, to you, would be to just sit and play and not get too analytical about playing.  Playing an instrument,  although could be mechanical, is more feel and confidence of one's ability to create music through one's instrument. 

Of course, one also needs to have a measuring stick of some kind to provide feedback.  And, the best measuring stick here would be your confidence and being able to play those progressions without reference and/or having to question whether or not you did it right. 

Having said that, however, I would think that setting milestones is a great motivational tool.  Milestones can be anything that may seem unreachable now, but can be accomplished in let's say, three to six months.  You also mentioned hammer down on chords.  I wouldn't be too concern with this for now.  Focus on your chord progressions, timing, and strumming.  Knowing these three will get you from starting to finishing a song.  That, to me, is a milestone! 

I'm sure others will have additional thoughts.

Good luck!

yu217171 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just started playing guitar and I would like some help with a practice routine.

I have learned a few chords (A, C, D, E, G) and here's what I do to practice them.

I have a spreadsheet with one chord progression: Say C --> D.  I record the number of times I can switch between them in one minute and then two minutes.  I then record the times I can switch between them (C to D = 1 progression) and I do this for 1 week.  I then move to the next one C --> E for instance.

I find my progress is really slow.  I also find that I cannot hammer down on any chord.  What I mean by this is: I must put one finger down on the string/fret, then my next finger and then my last finger and not simulatenously.  I have trouble putting all three fingers in the proper position at the same instance.  Is this normal?  It's quite frustrating at the moment and was hoping if anyone has any tips on how to practice or to speed up my progress?

Thanks in advance!

yu217171

Thanks so much for everyone's replies and encouraging words.  I guess being a computer programmer, I over analyze things just based on my profession.  I try not to play free-form too much, otherwise I won't be able to measure my progress but at the same time that's probably why my progress is slow.  My short term goals are to be able to play and sing a song or two.  I was trying to learn Neil's Young's, Heart of Gold (http://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=90) but I could not perform the chord progressions fast enough, which is what prompted me to structure my practices the way I have.

I used to play through a book, Guitar Method 1 by Aaron Stang but it got overly repetitive because I used to replay and replay the exercises in there.  I'll keep plugging away and hopefully I'll get it.  At least I've built up callouses now and the pain has started receeding smile

yu217171
My advice to you is fairly simple get some songs you like with easy chord progressions and that you really would like to learn to play.
Then practice. Your gotta like what you do with a guitar and it aint no computer. smile

Ark

Every day.  Just every day.  Spreadsheets.  Wow.  That's something.  Good for you on that.  Too much for me.  I work spreadsheets and stay organized all daggone day.  Guitar's the anti-spreadsheet for me, but to each his own.  Keep at it every day, and you'll not be a newbie long.  Get a couple songs under your belt, even if they peek out a little it's all right.  Get you some friends and a campfire and have a go.  So what if you have to play the 59th Bridge song six times straight, it's still Grrooooovvvyyyyy. 

Keep it fun, don't get frustrated.  If you can't sing while you play, at least smile.  I'm serious.  It's hard to get angry with yourself if you're smiling, even if it's a fake smile.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Yu,

I couldn't agree with you more.  I too, work in the computer field, and we tend to get too analytical about everything we do.  No fear, however.  It's good to be organized, but letting go is the main reason for playing an instrument in the first place.  Once you can let go of the "mechanical" aspect in playing, you'll start to allow your creative side to shine. 

The Neil Young's song is a good one to practice with.  I would suggest, also, that you get yourself a metronome and practice strumming to the same beat timing as the song (but without playing the song.)  This will help you work your timing and chord changes.  Once you're more comfortable with one speed on the metronome, try increasing it a few beats per minute (BPM).  This will help you with quicker chord changes accuracy and speed. 

Like the others here have said, practice at least 30 minutes a day for a few days.  Then take one day break, and then practice again.  This will help reinforce habits, but not burn you out.  Hope this helps.

yu217171 wrote:

Thanks so much for everyone's replies and encouraging words.  I guess being a computer programmer, I over analyze things just based on my profession.  I try not to play free-form too much, otherwise I won't be able to measure my progress but at the same time that's probably why my progress is slow.  My short term goals are to be able to play and sing a song or two.  I was trying to learn Neil's Young's, Heart of Gold (http://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=90) but I could not perform the chord progressions fast enough, which is what prompted me to structure my practices the way I have.

I used to play through a book, Guitar Method 1 by Aaron Stang but it got overly repetitive because I used to replay and replay the exercises in there.  I'll keep plugging away and hopefully I'll get it.  At least I've built up callouses now and the pain has started receeding smile

yu217171 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

yu217171

I got this advice on www.jusinguitar.com. Justin said to take metronome and set it at 50 bpm. Practice changing two chords, say G to D D to G. He said to practice that until you can do it at 100 BPM. Then set the metronome to 50 BPM and add a 3rd chord say an E. Then practice G to D to E etc. until you can work up to 100 BPM.  Then start over with two new chords then adding a 3rd. I have started doing this and I have added speed although not quite up to 100 BPM yet. I too am a beginner so I know what you are going through. I know the chords, I know the songs I am working on I just can't get my hand speed as fast as my mind thinks. Good Luck:)

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

Zurf wrote:

Every day.  Just every day.  Spreadsheets.  Wow.  That's something.  Good for you on that.  Too much for me.  I work spreadsheets and stay organized all daggone day.  Guitar's the anti-spreadsheet for me, but to each his own.  Keep at it every day, and you'll not be a newbie long.  Get a couple songs under your belt, even if they peek out a little it's all right.  Get you some friends and a campfire and have a go.  So what if you have to play the 59th Bridge song six times straight, it's still Grrooooovvvyyyyy. 

Keep it fun, don't get frustrated.  If you can't sing while you play, at least smile.  I'm serious.  It's hard to get angry with yourself if you're smiling, even if it's a fake smile.

- Zurf

I couldn't agree more!!!! KEEP IT FUN. Thats the best advice I've ever heard.Take a simple song you enjoy and just keep adding them as you go. Your progress will be automatic.

If you really want to measure your progress, get yourself a cheap tape recorder and tape a few of your practice sessions.  Do that once a month.  In six months, go back and listen to the tapes.  If you keep practicing each and every day, I guarantee you will hear the improvement.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Dguyton,

Good idea. I think I will do that, only I think I will do it on video.

Maury

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

I think the most important thing I did was make a commitment to practice every day. You can play just about anything on an acoustic guitar , but I stuck to 3 chord progession songs and there are alot of good ones. Work on G C D , A D E  and D G A progressions to start with and slowly work into songs with minor chords and 7ths.When you get your chords down I would work on learning some pentatonic scales,that will open up another exciting world for you. If you have the opportunity play with others,all the players I play with are flattered to try and help someone learn new tricks, to making it fun and easier. I'm ramblin, but I love to play.

Wayne

Later, Wayne P

Keep everything as simple as possible. There are thousands of songs out there with only 2 or 3 chords. Listen to the "beat" of the song and try to count to the "tempo". To me a 4/4 time is easier to play than a 3/4 time but that is just me. Most songs in 4/4 timing has a count of
1....2....&....3....&....4....&....1. Use a "down" strum on the number counts and a "up" strum on the "&" and you will soon be playing the song. Just be sure to listen to the song and understand the beat before you start playing. You can download songs from this site that show the chords and I find it's best to read from this while listening to the CD as it helps you see where the chord changes occur. Once you listen and learn the song your ears will come into play more. Stick with songs in "G", "C" and "D" or "A", "D" and "E" or "D", "G" and "A" progressions for now. Just by using these 3 chord progressions and learning a few minor and 7th chords you will be on top of playing a wide varity of songs. As far as quick changes between chords - that will come in time as your "Muscle Memory" develops. Another thing that will help is to use a metronome. Start out somewhere about 40 to 60 beats per minute and as you improve speed up. Just hang in there.

Nela

I guess you're right.  It's actually quite ironic isn't it?  We try to learn something new to "escape" but we tend to lean towards the familiar (hence the spreadsheets hehe).  I've been practicing the opening 6 bars of "Good Riddance (Time of your life)" by Green Day and I can play along with the CD so I am making some progress.  I purchased a book called "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Acoustic Guitar Songs" and it contains the sheet music so I can visualize the rhythm better.  It's so much easier than trying to listen by ear.  My goal is to learn the entire song by the end of March.  Hopefully that is not too optimistic smile  Thanks for all the words of great advice.

Kahuna wrote:

Yu,

I couldn't agree with you more.  I too, work in the computer field, and we tend to get too analytical about everything we do.  No fear, however.  It's good to be organized, but letting go is the main reason for playing an instrument in the first place.  Once you can let go of the "mechanical" aspect in playing, you'll start to allow your creative side to shine. 

The Neil Young's song is a good one to practice with.  I would suggest, also, that you get yourself a metronome and practice strumming to the same beat timing as the song (but without playing the song.)  This will help you work your timing and chord changes.  Once you're more comfortable with one speed on the metronome, try increasing it a few beats per minute (BPM).  This will help you with quicker chord changes accuracy and speed. 

Like the others here have said, practice at least 30 minutes a day for a few days.  Then take one day break, and then practice again.  This will help reinforce habits, but not burn you out.  Hope this helps.

That's a great idea!  Although, I do not have any tape recorder, I can probably record it on the computer.  Thanks!

dguyton wrote:

If you really want to measure your progress, get yourself a cheap tape recorder and tape a few of your practice sessions.  Do that once a month.  In six months, go back and listen to the tapes.  If you keep practicing each and every day, I guarantee you will hear the improvement.

Thanks for the advice.  Quick question about strumming though.  What is the difference between strumming up vs strumming down?  Does it change the tone of the song?  Why can't I use all downstrokes?  Is it because I wouldn't be able to meet the tempo?  Thanks again.

NELA wrote:

Keep everything as simple as possible. There are thousands of songs out there with only 2 or 3 chords. Listen to the "beat" of the song and try to count to the "tempo". To me a 4/4 time is easier to play than a 3/4 time but that is just me. Most songs in 4/4 timing has a count of
1....2....&....3....&....4....&....1. Use a "down" strum on the number counts and a "up" strum on the "&" and you will soon be playing the song. Just be sure to listen to the song and understand the beat before you start playing. You can download songs from this site that show the chords and I find it's best to read from this while listening to the CD as it helps you see where the chord changes occur. Once you listen and learn the song your ears will come into play more. Stick with songs in "G", "C" and "D" or "A", "D" and "E" or "D", "G" and "A" progressions for now. Just by using these 3 chord progressions and learning a few minor and 7th chords you will be on top of playing a wide varity of songs. As far as quick changes between chords - that will come in time as your "Muscle Memory" develops. Another thing that will help is to use a metronome. Start out somewhere about 40 to 60 beats per minute and as you improve speed up. Just hang in there.

Nela

Yu - I'm a big fan of playing the way you want rather than playing the way that's right.  BUT given that, on upstrokes it is traditional to only play the a few of the upper strings to get a bit of up and down sonic "feel" or "movement" to the rhythm without having to change chord positions.  There's no reason that you can't play all the strings at once, but it's not as interesting sounding as hitting just a few of the upper or middle strings on your upstrokes. 

Think of the upstroke as the "a" in Johnny Cash's Boom Chick-a-Boom sound. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Down strums and up strums, to me, balance the song with the beat of the bass guitar or drums.
You kinda "feel" the tempo as to the strumming to be used.

nela

Yu,

Up strumming, to me, helps with keeping the timing throughout the song.  Even though you may not strike the strings.  If you watch Tom Johnston of the Doobie Brothers, his strumming hand  consistently strum up and down.  But, he only makes contact (some times) only on the down strum stroke. 

Another good reason to strum up, also, is when you play reggae songs.  Take Bob Marley and UB40 for instance.  Most of their songs uses only the up strum to create that "Island" sound! 

yu217171 wrote:

Thanks for the advice.  Quick question about strumming though.  What is the difference between strumming up vs strumming down?  Does it change the tone of the song?  Why can't I use all downstrokes?  Is it because I wouldn't be able to meet the tempo?  Thanks again.