Topic: GUITAR STRINGS DETERMINE THE GUITAR SOUND?

I found this more than once on different websites:
What makes a guitar a guitar is the strings.
The quality of the strings in the guitar is one of the most important things that count.

A/ IS THIS TRUE?? AND IF IT'S TRUE WHAT ARE THE BEST STRINGS?
B/ ABOUT THE GAUGE: Is it true that the GAUGE of your strings ARE EVEN MORE IMPORTANT FOR THE SOUND? I read that when an acoustic guitar leaves the factory, they are equipped with 12-54 gauge.
Extra light: 10  14  22  28  38  48
Light: 12  16  24  32  42  52
Medium:  13   17   26   36   46   56
A Story: It happened more than once that I (preferring on acoustic Extra Light, changed a 22 by a 24) Don't know if this is important for the sound.
- MARTIN: equipped with MARTIN STRINGS.
But there are a lot more strings.
- GIBSON: comes with GIBSON STRINGS
I wanted to have your opinions about this "statement" SAME GUITAR, LIKE  MARTINS HD-28, equipped with MARTIN STRINGS, d'ADDARIO, ELIXIR (were voted as best strings). Some other brands are Dean Markley alchemy strings. NEVER HEARD OF THEM BUT GREAT COMMENTS

ABOUT COATED STRINGS: d'ADDARIO EXP and ELIXIR. Coated strings are meant for protecting the metal strings from oxidation. There is a solution to make from a normal string, a coated string with STRINGLIFE. The liquid string protectant chemically bonds with the metal of your strings and protects them from all the sweat and acids from your hands. You can apply it on your strings without harming the fretboard.
THIS IS SOME NICE INFORMATION, BUT I'D LOVED TO READ COMMENTS OR OPINIONS.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: GUITAR STRINGS DETERMINE THE GUITAR SOUND?

Doc...I certainly agree that the strings make the tone , at
least on my accoustics . The difference isn't near as evident on my electrics with hummbuckers , might be different with single coils . On
my accoustics I've always used martin x-lites .010 because they ring so nice and
take all the punishment you can give em . Nothing fancy and they're inexpensive . It's
funny but I'll put off changing
them on my accoustics longer than I should , because when I do change them , it's like a whole new sound !!! ( Kinda like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer repeatedly just because it feels so good when you stop !!???.......
I'm interested in other opinions on this also.....
                 Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Hello G S E, your right about that. I didn't mention much about ELECTRIC GUITARS.
THAT is due to the fact that the sound produced by pick-ups goes to your amp and there it is: The sound, amplified.
I also use light to extralight on my electric guitars, sometimes it happens, because of not having an electric string, I use an acoustic string

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

It's of course absolutely true that strings nfluence the sound of acoustics -and electrics- alike.

I've never understood why many foreign guitar makers slap a set of ultra-cheap wires on their guitars to keep the price down. Any acoustic sounds brighter and fuller with a new set of Elixir Polyweb/Nanoweb strings.  My favorite music store tech swears that they can sell just about any acoustic guitar, once a set of Elixir strings have replaced the factory strings. I'm sure there are other strings that come close. For under $10 (depending on the brand), you can get a whole new guitar sound and playability.

For my electric solid bodies, I prefer Ernie Ball Slinky's (all gauges behave a little different of course). For a really heavy, ballsy tone, my Telecaster gets "Skinny Top Heavy Bottom" strings that are sort of a mixed gauge: E, A D are extra thick, G is medium, whereas the B and high E are light (for bending). But these strings don't work for my Gresch, Washburn and Yamaha hollowbodies. I'm still experimenting here, even after several years.

It helps to experiment and read some reviews. Your own taste should always override the opinion of others, because no reviewer can do full justice to your taste, your instrument, your equipment. One rule though is universal: If the strings sound dull, look corroded/oxydized, nicked, etc., rip them off immediately. They DO have a major influence on your instrument's tone. Even Elixir strings don't last forever.

How often do you change your strings?
If I'm not playing gigs, they can last for up to 6 months. With heavy use (daily practice and regular gigs), I change the Ernie Balls once a month (occasionally more frequently) on my two main electric guitars. Since my acoustic guitar is only used at home and maybe at parties, I string up a set of Elixirs twice a year.

You can tell that I'm not into matching guitar strings to the manufacturer. I have no experience with Gibson strings. Fender and Martin sell nice strings, they are just not my favorites on these manufacturer's  own guitars.

PLAY ON!

By putting on some Martin Marquis, my Rogue became a Martin (I've played my uncle's Martin before).  Another change in sound by throwing on some Clapton Signatures.  So with my experience, yes, the strings make the sound.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

I just changed the stings yesterday on my Breedlove acoustic/elec, I had D'Adderio EXP  #11's on it and readding through the owners manual I found that they install the same strings at the factory, but they use #12's. I put on the 12's and what a difference, it sounds so much better and the sound has alot more body to it. I can only assume that the Breedlove people know alot more about strings then I do, and thats what their guitars leave the factory with. Not to mention the truss rod is set for those string. (makes a difference)

i just bought a new guitar they had d"adderio strings on them i tuned my guitar standard tuning and they sounded real bad flat and dull , compared to the nice ring i get when i bought any other strings out of any music store . could it be my new guitar