Topic: DISCO KILLED THE SEVENTIES

Looking back in the past, I believe that the 7ties were a decade with a lot of different styles.
Some styles still have a great repercussion on today's music.
I am listening to a song, 1972 and this is disco, Billboard Top 100 1972 (I have almost every year 100 songs/year), if you like this, I don't know if it is possible to send it, whatever, here is another song by Marvin Gaye: mercy, mercy me.
What styles in 7ties?
- Rock
- Pop
- GLITTER ROCK, GLAM ROCK (T-REX, MUD, THE SWEET, SLADE, even the ROLLING STONES)
- Funk
- Punk
- Hardrock (about metal I don't know)
- Disco
Probably a lot more.
What is YOUR opinion about this phenomenon? I compared it with Video killed the radiostar as title

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: DISCO KILLED THE SEVENTIES

Lieven
I see the 70's in two different sections here.
Early 70's for me is glam
mid to late 70's was punk.

Although late 70's there was a lot of "disco" music but I just see this nonsense as POP.
And POP was around before the 70's as was Rock and funk. These two categories of music have been around since the 50's and will always be around so I would never class any decade after the 60's as being the rock or pop decade.
There will be no doubt a decade or two that will be named something but really it is rock or pop.
Like Punk, it is really rock. Grunge from the early 90's is really rock. Glam is rock as well but they dressed in glittery tatters lol

As for the 2000's so far, I would have no idea what to class this decade, not even early 2000's.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

3 (edited by cytania 2008-01-29 10:26:00)

What we're coming up against here is what a blunt tool genre's really are. Also musicians tend to see which way the wind is blowing and change genre.

It's often forgotten how dull the 70 and 71 were, alot of bands turned up in jeans and a t-shirt and played very basic rock boogie stuff. Glam seemed like a breath of fresh air, it was fun. Punk wasn't really a reaction to glam since alot of it's main pioneers were glam fans (Captain Sensible and the Damned were huge fans of the Sweet). Punk was reacting to 1976 which was a very poor year for decent rock. Peter Frampton was the big thing in '76 but he was a bit too adult orientated. Alot of bands like Slade, Zeppelin and Floyd were on hiatus that year.

Disco didn't really kill anything (that line is pure Belushi). If you look at 60s Soul you can already see the basslines getting more dominant and intense. At the start of the 60s R'n'B still has a very primitive sound, by the end of the 60s things are slicker and funkier. Disco was just a tag to sell the music to all of America. What did change was the attitude. Soul was about getting civil rights, disco was about having fun once you'd got them.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

DISCO KILLED THE SEVENTIES...
seemed like it in the 70's didn't it? But now, years later I find myself rather enjoying those songs and bands I loathed back in the day

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Punk rocked! Disco sucked! As did Pop

OK GDD, how do you stand on Blondie? Punk? (Rip Her  To Shreds, Hanging On The Telephone) Disco? (Atomic, Dreaming, Rapture). Or the Stranglers? Punk? (No More Heroes, Rockit to the Moon) Disco? (Eurpean Female, Always The Sun, in fact any of their 12" mixes!)

Please stop trying to boil a whole load of songs down into sucks/rocks. Let alone reducing a whole decade...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

cytania wrote:

OK GDD, how do you stand on Blondie? Punk? (Rip Her  To Shreds, Hanging On The Telephone) Disco? (Atomic, Dreaming, Rapture). Or the Stranglers? Punk? (No More Heroes, Rockit to the Moon) Disco? (Eurpean Female, Always The Sun, in fact any of their 12" mixes!)

Please stop trying to boil a whole load of songs down into sucks/rocks. Let alone reducing a whole decade...

Well said!!!! There were some awful songs and some really good songs. This is the case with just about any genre from any decade.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Well yea! Not all pop is bad. I take back my first message.

disco killed the seventies but rock and roll bludgend the other decades with no mercy

"Growing old is not for sissies"

greendaydude wrote:

Punk rocked! Disco sucked! As did Pop

If you like punk, what the heck are you doing listening to Green Day?

Dead Kennedy's were punk.  GD is just highly marketed commercial pop.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]