Topic: PAUL VERSUS JOHN & george

Which of these 3 members of the BEATLES was the most skilled SONG WRITER.
George Harisson included. John & Paul were responsible for 75% of the songs. George is to me the MOST UNDERESTIMATE BEATLE, see SOMETHING, WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS, HERE COMES THE SUN.
A very important factor (but forgotten) was GEORGE MARTIN for the arrangements.
We can discuss a few points.
- AM I WRONG WHEN I TELL THAT THE COMPOSER, or JOHN or PAUL WAS SINGING HIS SONG?
- A SECOND POINT IS THE "MELODY" or tune.
1) Who was the best MELODY writer (without paying attention on lyrics)
2) Who wrote the BEST LYRICS
3) How did this "incredible songwriting team" function.
The Beatles songwriting was successful because of the highly memorable melodies
- EXAMPLE: John Lennon writes a song = MELODY + LYRICS
                  Paul McCartney writes a song = MELODY + LYRICS
A lot of people share the idea that PAUL's songs were better than John's songs
POST BEATLE PERIOD: Paul was very successful with "The Wings"but one of the most beautiful timeless songs is IMAGINE.
WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS THEORY?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: PAUL VERSUS JOHN & george

docphil:

You always ask such deep questions. Love to read them and the answers. This one is way over my head musically, so I won't try and fumble with an answer. Just to say I always enjoyed the Beatles collectviely and separtely, even Ringo. I watched a video of Ringo's new song last week and as always keep expecting him to play the drums. He looks weird playing the guitar but it sounded good to me.

"R"

Yes bigrinwv, I know. It started with "light" topics. And on the other hand, I know a lot, I try to turn my knowledge into some difficult topics.
There is ONE BIG REASON OR CAUSE:
- The fact that I had to stop working, caused by the sequels of my crash.
- I have a restless mind, absorbing too much, and this isn't funny at all, like "knowing the next step"in a discussion, and yes this is really difficult for me: compare it with a car where the engine never stops turning. I can't help it, maybe control it but IT'S KILLING ME. Another reason is TIME, I have too much time and I still feel GUILTY if I don't do something. EXCLUDE ALL PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES WHICH BRINGS ME BACK TO THIS POINT. I ADORE information, sharing mine. As told it's unbearable that restless mind. There are more than some difficult topics, I can only tell you : that's me, and hoping that you understand me and the "why'.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

John Lennon always used to envy Paul McCartney's common touch. He sometimes derided McCartney's 'Moon in June' songwriting but he also admired the directness of it. One of the things that got Lennon working on 'Double Fantasy' was hearing Paul's 'Coming Up'. 'Coming Up' is a pretty silly pop song but there's some clever use of goofy synthesiser sounds.

George was a late bloomer but his Beatles contributions are remarkable. Whereas John and Paul used to help improve each other's songs George did much of his alone. 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' is basicly a Harrison solo track or even an Eric Clapton and George Harrison track.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

George Harisson & Eric Clapton were best friends.
- WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS
- BADGE, a CREAM song by Clapton & HARRISSON.

SOLO CAREERS: In fact only McCartney AND Wings were really great, having some huge hits too.
JOHN LENNON, is the "MYSTIC" man, giving us one of the greatest songs: IMAGINE.
The song MOTHER is a song who "penetrates" in your heart. I still am really touche by the way he sings that song. A CRY for his mother.

As I have heard John was The main person too write lyrics first and add music after,and paul was the oppisite.John was more into harder rock,paul into softer.George  was too underated,He was the one who was very glad when they broke up as john and paul only let him put one or two of his songs on each alubum. George had clapton play the hard riffs on while my guitar gently weeps,and many of his other songs.I enjoy georges music the most of any of the beatles.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

bigrinwv: I adore what you wrote. Some of my topics are "think hard" topics. My problem is the fact that my brains absorb so many things.
To be honest, I really suffer, having these absorbing condition. It was great when I was still at the university, to become a MD. It takes 7 years here. (How many years in the USA, I don't know.)
Due to my medical condition, I don't and can't work no longer, I even stopped to go visiting a former patient. It's to painful, I am very sensitive the active medical career is FINISHED. I still know a lot and I still use this knowledge.
I know that a lot of topics aren't that easy, but isn't it nice to see people reacting, leading to a nice discussion. That's me, and it's difficult to change.

To be honest, I think Imagine is really dreary, wishy washy and I can't listen to it any more!  In fact a lot of Lennon's solo stuff was, to me sycophantic 'listen to how sensitive I am' attention seeking, self serving watery guff.

Haven't really got much of an opinion about McCartney's stuff other than 'so middle of the road it should be run over'.

While my guitar gently weeps knocks all of that into a cocked hat... check out Jake on youtube playing it on the ukelele!

And the Travelling Wilburys were great too!

IMHO cool

I'm the son of rage and love