1 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-05 01:24:09)

Topic: Welcome, and Introductions!

Well, I have been stumbling around Chordie for a short while, now, posting my drivel, and barging in on others' conversations and haven't really introduced myself.

I looked for a "Hello New People" kind of thread, but didn't find one, so I guess I'll start one! (yeah, I'm that brash.)

I am "Oldnewbie". I chose that screen name because I am 40 and have been playing for only two years. (maybe 2 1/2?)  I live in Northern Va (30mi South of DC) with my beautiful wife of 14 years, and my 12 year old daughter, "Bug".

I have been writing songs since I was a kid. Poems, really. They were only songs in my head, because I didn't know how to do all that music stuff. My parents thought things like art, music, and the like, were a waste of time.

Three years ago, a man moved into the townhouse two doors down from mine, and I heard his Ibanez in their back yard one evening. I walked over, opened their back gate, and made myself comfortable. (did I mention I was brash?).

The following summer, my wife bought me a "Jasmine" that I call a "Takamine" and I have been beating hell out of it ever since. I obsessed for about 8 months, playing until my fingers split, then I'd glue them back with superglue, and play some more. I have regained some sanity, but still love beating on that thing. I plan to upgrade to an actual Takamine this summer.

Well, that is enough about me. I am excited to be meeting you folks, and look forward every day to your posts. You all have been very nice, and seem to accept new folks with gusto.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you in the forums!

I'd like to invite other newbies, young and old, to post something here about themselves! A good way to get to know folks maybe?

Just play

Re: Welcome, and Introductions!

Well, welcome to Chordie Oldnewbie. You will find many similar 40 something newbie musicians here (I'm in that group)  as well as the most helpful and friendly gathering of musicians you will on the interwebs.

A few links you may want to check out.

Friends of Chordie on myspace

http://www.myspace.com/friendsofchordie

Chordie Group on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/group/Chordians

An there is also a Chordie group on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2 … amp;ref=mf

Enjoy!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Glad to meet you. I, too, have been playing for only 2 years (maybe 2 1/2).
I live in North Louisiana with my wife of (almost) 38 years - 2 sons , grown & gone. I first started playing at 14, played for a little while and broke my arm. When that happened I quit. When I started back I was 54 years old and the reason was my wife started singing with a cousin of her's. I've had a few lessons but I've mostly learned on my own. Having a ball playing, and I believe I am improving. (at least I hope I am) Anyway, thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Nela

welcome you old geezer i can say that because im 60 plus and still pickin so kick off your shoes and sit a spell

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Awesome!  Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Nela, I actually have a funny story about my first attempt at playing.

Roughly 12 years ago, my wife bought me a cheap classical guitar with nylon strings. I had a Mel Bay book, and was learning some chords. I got tired of the "toy" sound of the nylon strings and decided I wanted some "manly" strings, so I went to the local music shop and bought some nice steel strings.

Two weeks later, as I was tuning up, the saddle ripped out of the laminated top. I was in much worse financial position then, and couldn't afford to replace it, so I stopped playing until about 2 years ago when my wife bought me a "real" guitar (with steel strings!) for my birthday!

Thanks for the kind words, and encouragement from everyone! Good to be among future friends!

Just play

Russell_Harding wrote:

welcome you old geezer i can say that because im 60 plus and still pickin so kick off your shoes and sit a spell

Thanks, Russell!  I know I'm relatively not too old, but my daughter sure makes me feel like a geezer!

shoes off, feet up, taking it all in!

Just play

7 (edited by Ranger1964 2008-02-05 15:33:11)

I'm too lazy to re-type so I'll cut and paste from some other posts:

Some background before we get started.  I'm 43 and have been playing a few months and am progressing nicely and I’m happy with my progress.  I know CAGED Em,Am,  G7, E7, etc.  I’ve finally gotten the F but need to work on speed with it next.  I play 40-60 min EVERY DAY.  I am playing lots of songs (playing them well if I do say so myself) and am having a BLAST.  I’m a fairly good singer and my interest in music has been life long and have planned on playing my entire life but I finally did something about it a few months ago when I jumped in and bought a guitar. 

I play both types of music Country and Western.  Ok j/k but I do play mostly country but I’m the words biggest Bruce Springsteen fan so it’s really that I like to play ballads of country, rock, folk etc.

I started with a Fender Squire, gave t to my son bought a Mexican Fat Strat but when my interest in music began to clarify I realized I needed an acoustic guitar.  My wifey plays, but I hate her Ovation so I went out and bought an Alvarez PD80SC and I really like it but……..now things are a little more clear to me or maybe less clear?

Edited to Add (ETA)- I ended up violating my price objectives BUT got a great deal on a Taylor 810ce

A little more cut and paste:
Interesting but what I didn't say in my original post was that my youngest got interested in guitar and THAT was what finally pushed me to finally take up guitar.  I don't know, I kind of felt "dorky" wanting to start guitar at 30, then 35, then 40, and finally I did it, but really only because my son did it.  I guess the lesson is that if I hadn't started now, I may never have.  You know once we get to be adults and parents sometimes it's hard to "bare our souls" and try something completely new.  But, I try to teach my kids that life is about learning and I try to give them examples of that.  I got my MBA at 38, learned to mat and frame photos about the same time and took up guitar at 43.  The one thing I try to tell people is that if you are interested in playing you can do it by just learning CAGED and in a month or so be able to play MANY songs.  So it's never too late to start.

Maybe we should start a "Late Starters" thread?

Final details- I've been nmarried almost 22 years and have 3 kids, 18, 16, 14.  The 18 year old is off to college next year so we decided to not join our country club this year.  As I'm an avid golfer also, this will finally leave me the time to devote to guitar so "a door closes, a window opens"

Yee Haw

8 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-03-09 21:35:46)

Good to meet you, Ranger!

Looks like there are more late starters out there than I thought!

I have found it interesting when I play for family and friends how many people will say "I used to play" or "I always wanted to play". I think that is just a way for them to make themselves part of it, and I guess that's okay. I have found that people do what they want to do. I made excuses for years, and then decided that I was going to do it and put one item on my birthday list.

My wife is not as appreciative of my music as I would like her to be, but she is tolerant, which is more than some I have heard of.

Time to play is something people either make, or they don't. Lots of guys have told me that they aren't getting any better because they don't have time to play. That's okay. again, people do what they want to do. It is awesome to meet so many people that make time to play. Doesn't mean we have less going on, or that we are unemployed, it just means that we have set a priority of Guitar over TV!

(ETA) - The last paragraph is actually the reason for my signature "just play". I have friends who continue to spend money on guitars but refuse to spend time on them. One, in particular, owns three fenders, and a Takamine, and can't play more than three chords. And that's okay, too, but when he complains that he can't keep up with me, I just tell him to quit whining and play.

I do, though, kind of like that most people who pick up a git-box end up putting it back down after their fingers start hurting. It makes what we do more special! (and it keeps the pawn shops in business!)

smile

Just play

I was a late starter as well--got my first guitar six years ago for my 40th birthday after a long and accomplished air guitar career.

I'm very fortunate because my wife always wanted to play bass, so I got her one for her 42nd BD, now she wants to learn a little acoustic so she got one for Christmas.  Now I'm up to two acoustics and an electric, and Laurie has an electric & acoustic bass as well as her washburn acoustic.  So, our guest bedroom has turned into our "music room" so if anyone ever spends the night at our house, you're going to have to sleep on the couch!

10 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-05 17:52:19)

Cincinnati? 

I'll be there Friday evening!

However, I insist on sleeping in the music room!

I was born in Ohio, Frankster. about 30 miles SE of Columbus in Hocking County, a little town called Logan (not as little anymore!). (we might have met on the Air Guitar circuit!)

Used to get to Cincinnati once a year to watch the Reds play! Great times. "Go Big Red Machine!"  smile

Just play

Oldnewbie wrote:

It is awesome to meet so many people that make time to play. Doesn't mean we have less going on, or that we are unemployed, it just means that we have set a priority of Guitar over TV!

smile

As must be the case everywhere, the guys in my work quite often talk of the TV shows they've seen and can never believe when I say I never saw it. My brother-in-law gave us a DVD to watch some months ago and I have just returned it to him unwatched. He was horrified that we could've had this movie for so long and not watched it.

Quite frankly, I'd rather play guitar. My wife is also very tolerant. Hey, I could be in the pub, but I'm at home strummin and singing away to myself.

I'm another who came back to the guitar after a LONG break. Now I can't get enough. I'm even starting to enjoy playing in front of friends and family. Whisky is a wonderful thing.

All the very best; welcome to Chordie.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Hello all - I just read through this thread and gotta add my words - - - making music is great fun at any age.  I started playing autoharp about 5 years ago and started writing songs about 2 years ago.  I'm 51 now (inside, I'm still about 9).

Started college as a bassoon major - but quickly realized 2 things:
1. I didn't have the patience to sit in a practice room for 6 hours a day to perfect my technique
2. Bassoonists just don't meet a lot of wild & willing women.
So, I started playing electric bass.  That was fun until an injury to my left hand made playing bass too painful.  Still have my bassoon, but need to get my chops back with some diligent practice.

Anyway - I would rather play or write music than watch TV.  Music is far more interesting.  My wife brags about her husband who writes songs.  My kids (like all healthy kids) think daddy is a big old doofus.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Maybe I'm a bit out of line here BUT......I like TV yes I watch that box that sits in the corner and not just the News and Weather but Oh God.......Yes I'm going to say it Soaps and no I'm not to proud to admit it.
I still make my own music as you know and have other hobbies.
It's not an either or for me but an also.
Each to there own.
Ark

Oldnewbie wrote:

Good to meet you, Ranger!

Looks like there are more late starters out there than I thought!

I have found it interesting when I play for family and friends how many people will say "I used to play" or "I always wanted to play". I think that is just a way for them to make themselves part of it, and I guess that's okay. I have found that people do what they want to do. I made excuses for years, and then decided that I was going to do it and put one item on my birthday list.

My wife is not as appreciative of my music as I would like her to be, but she is tolerant, which is more than some I have heard of.

Time to play is something people either make, or they don't. Lots of guys have told me that they aren't getting any better because they don't have time to play. That's okay. again, people do what they want to do. It is awesome to meet so many people that make time to play. Doesn't mean we have less going on, or that we are unemployed, it just means that we have set a priority of Guitar over TV!

(ETA) - The last paragraph is actually the reason for my signature "just play". I have friends who continue to spend money on guitars but refuse to spend time on them. One, in particular, ownes three fenders, and a Takamine, and can't play more than three chords. And that's okay, too, but when he complains that he can't keep up with me, I just tell him to quit whining and play.

I do, though, kind of like that most people who pick up a git-box end up putting it back down after their fingers start hurting. It makes what we do more special! (and it keeps the pawn shops in business!)

smile

I'm actually glad for the writer's strike.  Makes the TV vs. guitar decision quite easy!  My wife is a good player but has a full time job and works her tail off at home sooooo guitar time is still a bit of a sore subject.  I play most every night while she is folding laundry or doing something domestic.  I'm a bit of an equipment junkie no matter what my hobby is, so that's a bit of a sore with wifey subject too sad .  I try to be supportive of the "I always wanted to play" types because for so many people, the idea is so intimidating.  Most people don't realize that with a few months of work on the CAGED chords you can be playing songs.  I try to tell them that.  Probably because I was too intimidated to start for years and probably lost 10 years of playing time, but life is lived moving forward not looking back!

Yee Haw

Oldnewbie.  You're right around the corner from me and Jets60.  Maybe we should get a little jam together, have a little fun, play a few songs, and generally commiserate on how learning to play guitar causes gray hair ('cause it can't be our age, eh?).

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

alvee33 wrote:

I'm another who came back to the guitar after a LONG break. Now I can't get enough. I'm even starting to enjoy playing in front of friends and family. Whisky is a wonderful thing.

All the very best; welcome to Chordie.

Here! Here!  Or is that Hear! Hear!  My wife actually hangs out and listens to me from time to time now.  A little liquid relaxation aid surely helps the audience.  The drunker they are, the better I sound. 

One cautionary note a friend gave me when he learned that I was trying to write my first useful song: "Never write a song that you can't play drunk." 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

One cautionary note a friend gave me when he learned that I was trying to write my first useful song: "Never write a song that you can't play drunk." 

- Zurf

smile That is great advice. I won't forget it!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Arkady - I certainly wasn't knocking TV watchers. I am also one (in moderation). I watch House on Tuesday, and sports on the weekends. I was just commenting on the fact that people who say they "don't have time" are usually saying that they "don't care to spend the time", and most can tell me about every episode of Seinfeld or something like that. It usually isn't a matter of time, but of priorities. Of course, there are exceptions, like the working folk who have mountains of housework to do and children to raise, for them, I feel truly sorry, and hope they find some time each week to at least enjoy a little bit of music.

I am fortunate, my wife is home by 2:00pm, and takes care of all the house stuff for me. (God Bless her!).

Zurf - I would LOVE to get together with you guys!  Send me an e-mail and we'll work out the details! (JAM SESSION! WOO-HOO!) But, no laughing at the old fat guy who can't play barre chords! smile

And James, I would think it difficult to sing your songs while playing the bassoon?

Just play

Correct, Oldnewbie - singing while playing a bassoon is not a good idea.  Still a great instrument though - lovely melancholy sound and it can be quite expressive . . . but I need to get my lips back in shape.  Guitarists have fingers callouses, double reed players have mouth muscles.

The whole 'time to play' thing for me is a matter of using my time as efficiently as possible to do what I have to do (job, chores, etc.).  Everybody has the same 24 hours a day - I try not to fritter any of mine away.  I don't always succeed in that effort, but it is a goal and I find that I am happier being busy than being bored.

Years ago, I went through a period of depression & insomnia - some very dark times.  Learned from that to stay active and engaged in the things that are important; family, job, friends, hobbies, etc.

I joke now that I am a 'very shallow guy', but that's just another way of saying that I don't sit around and worry about stuff that I can't do anything about.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Grandpa always said it's hard to drown in shallow water!

busy is definitely a good shelter from the crap life throws at us all. Playing can be very busy work!

Just play

21 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-02-06 02:37:10)

Hello Oldnewbie and welcome to chordie!

I got my first guitar when I was 9. I believe I took 4 lessons and never touched it again. Well except for 1 or 2 times in my early teens just to fool around with when I was bored at home. A friend borrowed it in high school and It (supposedly) got stolen from his car. At the time I didn't really care because I had no interest whatsoever in playing and had long since givin' it up as a lost cause. So for almost 20 years I never even thought of trying to learn to play again...Then came along the fall of '06...A friend and I were driving home from work one day and he wanted to stop by the music store and look around. He had been thinking of trying to pick it up. We go in and he picks up a guitar that he had been making payments on. We go back to his house a sit on the front porch and just start messing around. Neither of us could even strum it evenly...lol Anyway we still had a ball. That evening gave me the fever. I couldn't stop thinking of trying to learn to play again. However, I didn't pursue it right then. I waited about a month to see if the urge would pass (hated to buy one and never touch it like before). Finally I could take it no longer. I bought one and the journey had begun...I was hooked! Still to this day there has not been a day that it hasn't been played for at least an hour (usually 4 or more). I even had to carry it on vacation and pay for an extra nights stay just so I wouldn't have to leave it in the hot car when we went hiking the final day...lol So I've been playing now for about 14 months. At the age of 33 it makes me sick to think of the time I wasted earlier in my life! If I would have only stuck with it when I was 9...lol

As I mentioned I'm 33yrs of age. Happily married with three sons (the youngest celebrating his 6th birthday today) I live in southeast North Carolina. I'm an active musician that works as a contractor on the side...lol Well I think that's the most I ever posted on here about myself. Welcome again to chordie! Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks 'pix,

and happy birthday to the little man.

I spent some time cussing my youth, too, but now, it's just full steam ahead.

Just play

Oldnewbie wrote:

Zurf - I would LOVE to get together with you guys!  Send me an e-mail and we'll work out the details! (JAM SESSION! WOO-HOO!) But, no laughing at the old fat guy who can't play barre chords! smile

No chance.  You'll understand that comment better when we meet.

Please allow me to introduce myself....pleased to meet you hope you guess my name... lol good job oldnewbie, there is now a place to get the first post out of the way and get started down to business. wink

Welcome, mcatak.

enjoy!

Just play