Re: Restringing Guitar

The tuner winder thing for removing pegs works pretty good for me.  I found my football bat not to be as useful.  First, I had a terrible time getting the darn thing down off the ceiling to train it and then it wanted to do the whole thing without using his hands.  Last time I import a football bat from Great Britain.  Besides, it kept wanting biscuits, but every time I gave him some he screamed about hating sourdough and wondering where the sugar biscuits went. 

I don't fuss about scuffing my bridge.  I'm plenty scuffed, so my guitar may as well be too. 

I replaced the plastic pegs that came with my guitar for wooden pegs made by Taylor.  The plastic pegs were a disaster to get out the first time, but the wooden pegs seem much simpler to manage.  I considered brass pegs, but haven't decided to afford then when the wooden pegs seem to be doing the trick.  I think the wooden pegs allow for a warmer tone to the guitar as well, but that may just be due to the fact that I usually drink bourbon when restringing my guitar. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Dunlop makes a puller, bottle cap opener that works great for both tasks.  You don't have to use leverage like you do with the ones at the end of string winders so you don't mess up your bridge.  Think I got mine from Musicians Friend for about $5.00.  It's just a notch that grabs the pin and you pull straight out.

Before I found this gizmo, I was talking to a guy at the guitar store, and he suggested taking out an easy pin or two, then reaching in the sound hole and pushing the others out from the inside.

Zurf wrote:

The tuner winder thing for removing pegs works pretty good for me.  I found my football bat not to be as useful.  First, I had a terrible time getting the darn thing down off the ceiling to train it and then it wanted to do the whole thing without using his hands.  Last time I import a football bat from Great Britain.  Besides, it kept wanting biscuits, but every time I gave him some he screamed about hating sourdough and wondering where the sugar biscuits went.

lol

I normally take all of the strings off at once, because that way I can tell which ones are the old ones.

25Frankster wrote:

Dunlop makes a puller, bottle cap opener that works great for both tasks.  You don't have to use leverage like you do with the ones at the end of string winders so you don't mess up your bridge.  Think I got mine from Musicians Friend for about $5.00.  It's just a notch that grabs the pin and you pull straight out.

I'll have to have a look for one of those. I just hope I can find somewhere in the UK that sells it though.

One thing I forgot to mention on the restringing thing is something I have'nt seen any of the other old timers mention .
   That is that when I put the cut end of the string through
the tuner hole , I form a tight U shape with it , then stick it back into the hole so I have a small loop showing . This does three things , one , it looks professional , two , it
makes it just about impossible for the string to slip , and three , if you use a dust cloth on your guitars , as I do , the tag end is'nt sticking out there to catch it ......

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

30 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-02-06 19:18:46)

Oldnewbie wrote:

Nice, watsonchad.

Anyone have advice on pegs? I seem to be unable to get them out without scuffing up the bridge, and I find it difficult to get them in tight enough (I am always afraid I will push my hand right through the top, and end up with the pre-mature Willie Nelson look.

I have a peg winder with that little divot which is supposed to be a "peg puller" but I find it to be as useful as a football bat.

anyone?

I always put a piece of cloth between the puller and the bridge to eliminate any markings. A piece of old t-shirt does the trick well. As far as them being hard to push in...Try bending the ends of the strings to about a 45 degree angle before you put them in the holes. Doing this puts the ball out of the way making it easier to insert the pegs. It also helps to eliminate that dreaded string slippage that scares the #*^% out ya when your tunning up...lol

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

31 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-06 19:19:10)

I have been doing what Frankster talks about, pulling out the easy ones, then pushing the others from the inside.

If your football bat doesn't settle down, then you need to invest in a football bat bat. Very effective, however the football bat tennis raquet requires less precision, and saves more time for putting jelly on your sourdough sugar biscuits! big_smile

My problem with the pullers is actually getting them under the heads of the pins. maybe the Dunlop would do that better. That is called "knowing your market" - making a pin-puller / bottle opener combination!  smile

And, to display my ignorance, I didn't even realize there WERE wood or brass pins. I will investigate!

Just play

Guitarpix wrote:

I always put a piece of cloth between the puller and the bridge to eliminate any markings. A piece of old t-shirt does the trick well. As far as them being hard to push in...Try bending the ends of the strings to about a 45 degree angle before you put them in the holes. Doing this puts the ball out of the way making it easier to insert the pegs. It also helps to eliminate that dreaded string slippage that scares the #*^% out ya when your tunning up...lol

Yeah, I've had that "Oh Crap!" moment, too!

I keep a T-shirt near to dust off when I change strings, I'll try using it to protect the bridge, as well.

And, a few nicks do add character!

Just play

Guitarpix ,
    You're right on with both those tips . Funny how when you've been doing this stuff for so many years and someone asks how to do it , you don't even think of all the little tricks we use .......

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Here's a link to the dunlop pin puller I mentioned:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=368701

I think I'll be ordering me one of those.

The genius of simplicity! Changing strings is thirsty work.

Just play

I take guitar from a man who's played guitar for 50+ years and he takes them all off at the same time.