Topic: Play Mates

Here is my challenge.

I have only been playing for about two years.

I think I am fairly well beyond most adults who have been playing that long, but I find myself in an interesting crevice:

Most people my age (40) started playing when they were kids, and all I can do is watch and try to keep my jaw from getting dirty down there on the floor.

Most people who are at my level are kids, and don't know a lot of the songs that I like to play!

I end up playing alone in my basement a lot.

I don't have the ambition (or skill, yet) to be in a band, but I would love to have someone to play with a couple of times a month, just to keep my from falling too far in a rut.

I live in Northern Virginia (Woodbridge/Dale City) and I work south of that (Stafford).

Anybody interested, or have any good advice?

Thanks.

Just play

Re: Play Mates

Welcome to Chordie Oldnewbie I can see you have quite busy posting smile
If your quest to find others to play guitar with is unfruitful and you still find yourself in crevice. Have you considered recording your songs and uploading to Myspace or some other music hosting site. It gives a goal to strive for and can be quite enjoyable.
I've seen your've written some songs what about recording them. I'm sure friends of Chordie on Myspace would like to host them for you.
Just a thought
Ark

Ark,

I have noticed that some of the other folks have done that. I actually made a CD last summer. I think I will open a "Myspace" or "facebook" thing, and see if I can figure out how to post stuff there.

Thanks. Good idea.

And I think I might be getting with Zurf and possibly Jets60, they are close by, I think!

Just play

well i fI lived anywhere near you i would play anytime.  I am in a similiar stuation as yourself. I just started playing March of 07' (i am 35 yrs. old) I guess fortuanately for me there are several people around that play. The cool part for me is that they are all so much better than me I seem to learn something new everytime I play music w/ them.

I definitely learned a lot hanging around people who play better than me.

I think it cuts the learning curve in half.

There are a surprising number of late bloomers on here. It's pretty cool!

Just play

O-N - check the "musicians" topic under the community forum of your local craigslist. I posted a "looking to jam" message on my local list a few month's ago - spelled out exactly that I was a beginner, acoustic, etc. just looking to have some fun. Well....after exchanging a few emails with a bass player, we finally hooked up last night. I HAD A BLAST! He is an older fella and he had a full "studio" in his basement. Drum set, PA, drum machine, the whole bit. It was awesome. I was actually very pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded. There was very little "chit-chat" - he was like "play these chords in this progression", and got right to it. We played for about 3 hours straight. This dude has a few other guys that get together regularly and I definitely will be going back.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Man!  that sounds great!

I might have to check that out.

I didn't realize craigslist had a section like that. I just thought it was like e-bay.

Great feedback. Let me know how the next session goes!

Just play

topdown wrote:

O-N - check the "musicians" topic under the community forum of your local craigslist. I posted a "looking to jam" message on my local list a few month's ago - spelled out exactly that I was a beginner, acoustic, etc. just looking to have some fun. Well....after exchanging a few emails with a bass player, we finally hooked up last night. I HAD A BLAST! He is an older fella and he had a full "studio" in his basement. Drum set, PA, drum machine, the whole bit. It was awesome. I was actually very pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded. There was very little "chit-chat" - he was like "play these chords in this progression", and got right to it. We played for about 3 hours straight. This dude has a few other guys that get together regularly and I definitely will be going back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NICE!

~~~  IT'S JUST ME  ...Pete (brand new member) LURKING ON THE SIDE READING YOUR POST.

I'm in the same position here in North LAS VEGAS  NV.
I would love to meet up with others in my neck of the woods.

Right now I'm checking out all the great songs on CHORDIE and am pleasantly surprised how many are within my present level of playing.

Ok everybody....I am in the same situation as Oldnewbie, only I am up here in Canada.  I have been playing and taking weekly lessons for just over a year.   I too am in my early 40's and I am having a very difficult time finding anyone interested in playing the songs I like at my level.  One thing that I do like to do, to satisfy the urge to play with others, is to play along with my mp3 plugged in through my amp.   Any other suggestions, or players located in South Western ON?