Topic: Need an easy song to learn for a beginner

I just bought an acoustic and am teaching myself to play.  I have many sites and dvd's showing chord progressions, but can anyone suggest an easy song or two for a beginner to start out with?  Thanks.

Barry

Re: Need an easy song to learn for a beginner

Hi blatio and welcome to Chordie!

If you peruse the "Absolute Beginner" and "Easy Songs" in the Public Books section of Chordie, I am sure you will find something you like.

http://www.chordie.com/publicbooks.php

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Blatio

Just scan the acoustic message board and you'll see some previous requests for the same thing ... alot of good info from posters ...

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

I bought a book, 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Acoustic Guitar Songs', and started learning my first song: Good Riddance (Time of your life) by Green Day.  Try that and let me know how it goes.

blatio wrote:

I just bought an acoustic and am teaching myself to play.  I have many sites and dvd's showing chord progressions, but can anyone suggest an easy song or two for a beginner to start out with?  Thanks.

Barry

yu217171 wrote:

I bought a book, 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Acoustic Guitar Songs', and started learning my first song: Good Riddance (Time of your life) by Green Day.  Try that and let me know how it goes.

blatio wrote:

Barry

I got the Negative vote from a few about leaning that song first. The picking on that song can get a tad confusing, and the chord changes they said are a little beyond beginner. >< It didn't stop me from continuing playing what I knew and starting to learn more of the song.

que522 wrote:
yu217171 wrote:

blatio wrote:

Barry

I got the Negative vote from a few about leaning that song first. The picking on that song can get a tad confusing, and the chord changes they said are a little beyond beginner. >< It didn't stop me from continuing playing what I knew and starting to learn more of the song.

Fortunately for me, the book describes the picking pattern quite nicely and it picked it up relatively quickly.

blatio wrote:

Barry

Bad Moon Rising by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Horse with no name by America
Wonderwall by oasis

Ihave got the basics of lots of songs but never seem to play them all the way through, and I am starting to realise that at some point I am going to have to start singing!!
Been playing a year or so, nearly all self taught

Try to play with other guitarists I found it gave me a little extra push and try to play every day

Vintage 12 string, Brunswick Acoustic, (Gordon Giltrap owned) Art and Lutherie, Lag J100,Vintage SG, Paul McCartney bass copy.

I like Ball and Chain by Social Distortion. It's D A G D the whole song. Nice even strum, nothing tricky and it's easy to sing, too.

Good luck!

My advice would be, if you are new to guitar, would be to NOT worry too much about learning a song at the beginning stage. I would spend my time learning the open major chords - E, A, D, G & C. Also learn a few minor - Dm, Am & Em. Then learn a few 7th chords - D7, G7, E7, A7 & C7 (even B7). Practice the chords as if they are a chord progression - {A, D & E} -
{E, A  B7] (B7 is easier to play than a B chord), {D, G & A}, {G, C & D} With these 4 chord progressions there are thousands of songs that can be played. As a beginner practice the Chord progression of {C, F & G} but don't get too disappointed due to the F chord as it can be difficult. Practice these progressions until you become adjusted to forming the chords and changing from one to the other quickly. Once you are comfortable with the chords and changes then it will become time to begin learning to play songs. As you are practicing chord progressions try to learn parts of a song as the chords just continue to be repeated. nAs you are learning the chord progressions also learn the strum pattern of the song. What I'm telling you is how I wished someone had told me when I started. Remember even babies gotta learn to crawl before they can walk. I just takes time to learn how to play well. With the correct practice routine  and quality time spent practicing you will learn much faster.

Nela

blatio wrote:

Barry

Most songs by the Eagles
A good few Nirvana songs are very easy but sound suberb.

Try a song with only two or three chords but with a good catchy rhythm.

Getting the rhythm is a must. Chord changes will come with repetitive practice but you have to feel the rhythm before you can play the song.

Wish You Were Here-Pink Floyd

These are easy chords with nicely spaced chord changes (which I found to be VERY VERY importaant when first starting.  For example, a lot of the Eagles songs are easy chords but are pretty quick changes.) Plus W.Y.W.H.  has that cool riff in the begining.  Don't worry about being exact on the riff, just play it a couple of times and then start with the intro chords.  Nothing feels better than the first time you play a song and it actually sounds like what you meant for it to sound like! 

Good luck!  Don't forget "a journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step"

Yee Haw

The first song I ever learnt was Bob Marley - Redemption Song (http://www.911tabs.com/link/?1596121)

However my friend told me to just play the verse: G, Em, C, Am.

As a complete beginner I found the C a pain but the other chords were so easy and they seemed simple to change between. I think there should always be a slight element of difficulty to what you're trying to learn and while it took me a while to be able to play those four chords fluently I think it paid off learning that song first.

At the time of learning that I also used to go through major and minor chords from chord books or websites and try them in different orders to not only practise switching between the various chords but to also get an ear for what chords work well together. I guess I'm still doing that very thing but with a lot more chords.

Jambalaya by Hank Williams.  All C and G7

Horse with No Name someone mentioned above, only four chords.  All chords are two finger chords.  And you only switch back and forth between two of them at a time.  Easy strum pattern too.  A good confidence building song.

Bob Dylan songs have been working for me lately.  Open chords, easy strum patterns.  Songs that tell a story.  Good stuff.  Again, confidence building songs. 

Something that's important to me is that I don't try and cover songs EXACTLY like the "original".  In my perception of things, songs ought to be interpreted.  I blew a poor guy's mind at a guitar shop once.  He was playing some Lep Zeppelin and making a perfect reproduction of the sound.  Perfect.  It may as well have been a record.  So he was a pretty young kid and he looked up at me (not nearly the guitar player, but an older guy) and I could tell he was looking for some sort of affirmation by the puppy dog look he gave.  Anyway I said, "That was brilliant.  A perfect reproduction.  Very well done.  Now play it again the way YOU think it ought to be played."  He did, and it sounded even better to my ears.  The whole point is, don't be afraid to interpret. 

And when you make a mistake, don't be afraid of that either and don't get upset with yourself.  EVERYONE makes mistakes.  I had the good fortune to listen to some raw tapes of a Willie Nelson session.  They played an AWESOME version of a Hank Williams song (don't recall which right now).  Really jamming.  They paused for a moment after the big finish on the song, and then they all busted out laughing.  Seems Willie Nelson played a guitar solo over the harmonica solo, he got some choruses reversed in the lyrics, and the harmonica player stepped all over Willie Nelson when it was time for the guitar solo.  You'd never have known it from the recording, but listening to the laughter and banter after it was all done and then going back, you could pick it up.  EVERYONE makes mistakes.  These guys have been playing together for decades and screw up.  So, take it easy on yourself and keep it fun. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

i think that if you want an easy song to start you off, to search the songs that you know and find some thing with A,D,Em and chords like that. a good one when i first learnt to play was "wild thing." 
cheers.

:o____"SHOOT FOR THE MOON, EVEN IF YOU MISS YOU WILL LAND AMONGST THE STARS"____o:

15 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-10 04:08:20)

Don't know what type of stuff you like, but I know that it was important to me to be able to play a song fairly quickly. Learning a song gave me motivation to keep practicing.

A lot of country stuff (especially older stuff like Johnny Cash and Hank Williams) is pretty simple.

Ring of Fire is three chords (G,C, & D).

A lot of CCR stuff is fairly simple (Down on the Corner, Bad Moon Rising, Have You Ever Seen the Rain, etc...)

You can play Sweet Home Alabama with D, C, and G.

just find something, and stick to it.

and just play.

Just play

i know u have had alot of replies but start with knockin on heavens door i have been playing for about 1 year now and thats the first song i learned i jus learned it 6 months ago once you learn one song others will click you have to find rythmn

acousticplyr321 wrote:

...start with knockin on heavens door...

Excellent song to start with.

Also, The Picture (Kid Rock and Sheryl Crowe) is just G, C, D, and Em. Not too dificult, and a pretty good song.

Just play