Topic: recording hardware & RECORDING SOFTWARE

A/ I have a topic about recording devices, in my case a BOSS BR 600.
Very interesting, it records more than good just using the built-in mics. There are still a lot of unsolved items: arrangements, rhythm, correction.

B/ Besides this "recording device" I am DESPERATELY seeking recording SOFTWARE. I think, having a song on the MINI COMPACT FLASH CARD, I can put the song on my PC.
There are quit a few very interesting software programs like audacity. I was told a few times that ADOBE AUDITION is considered as a fantastic help, to add effects, correcting tracks, adding other melody lines, so my question is, besides the hardware to find a very good software program with a decent price, or a trial. The problem with trials is that they have often limits, giving you onlmy an idea.

C/ I'm sure not the only one looking for decent software, to be able to put FINALLY a song on MYSPACE.
I really would appreciate every information.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: recording hardware & RECORDING SOFTWARE

lieven you have all the post recording adjustments (mixing) built in but i would concider adding a all purpose recording mike for vocals and accustic tracks i use a sure sm 58 it costs around 65 0r 75 american. for rythem i use a aleses sr-16 its easy to use and has lots of pre recorded drum tracks and fills with the option of recording manually like i did on the song "sloppy joes" on myspace after recording you can with your boss br 600 pan,adjust eq,add reverb,delay(echo)and the effects include making your guitar a bass plus a multitude of guitar and vocal effects built in all you need to do is explore the possibilities you already have i have a boss br 8 and your recorder is every bit as good or better plus i think you can burn a cd right on your 600 i have a seperate tascam cd-rw700 for that so check out what you can already do before complicating matters with software

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi Lieven,

I think you are trying to go down the wrong road looking for 'software to correct tracks'. It is far, far easier and quicker to re-record a guitar or vocal track that is not right.

Russell is absolutely correct, apart from a microphone, you appear to have everything you need. I know you are impatent, but you really must set aside time to read the Boss 600 manual and experiment with it, the more you use it the easier it becomes and the more you find out what it can do.

Take care,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I've been playing around with Audacity per some Chordie forum strings. So far it's been pretty intuitive and fun. You can buy a phono to 3.5mm adapter for you pick up too. This let's you plug right into a PC sound card. Audacity is free, the adapter costs a couple of bucks and a pc mic for vocals won't set you back much. The sounds not great but it's not awful either (depending on your PC's sound card). FUN, FUN, Fun...thanks to whomever first suggested this (I'm paraphrasing what's already been stated elsewhere)

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Audacity = free
free = good
Audacity = good!

smile

Me likey.

Back in the day, I used to work for a church bell company. We had some electronic systems that played a sampled bell for those who couldn't afford our "real deal". We used a program called "Cake Walk". I thought it was pretty user friendly, and could do a lot of cool stuff. Don't know if it is still out, or how expensive it is, but maybe worth a Google?

Just play

RUSS & ROG I have 2 mics, since more than a year, to use it for playing acoustic. The biggest problem is: everytime I am in hospital, or on a mini-trip, the "CLEANERS" arrive here. My daughter, ex-wife (still very good contact) and they move stuff from here to there, so I have my mics, placed on "stand", and I find just one. The mic cable is different, I'm afraid I need a kind of connection cable. I feel to bad the last couple of weeks, I have to return to Hospital on 14/02, and maybe I'll enter one of the biggest Guitar stores, 5 miles from there.
I am equipped, but keeping rhythm is a problem. If I post a song, it will be "an instrumental".
I am not on the mood since a few weeks, pain, more problems in a few weeks, anxiety, I can't think clear. I will use again my device, BOSS.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Oldnewbie wrote:

Audacity = free
free = good
Audacity = good!

smile

Me likey.

Back in the day, I used to work for a church bell company. We had some electronic systems that played a sampled bell for those who couldn't afford our "real deal". We used a program called "Cake Walk". I thought it was pretty user friendly, and could do a lot of cool stuff. Don't know if it is still out, or how expensive it is, but maybe worth a Google?

At the risk of dating myself again, Cake Walk used to be "the" program. I ran it on a 386 computer back when having Prodigy was cool and the internet was a rumor!!1

Elvis Costello

geoaguiar wrote:

At the risk of dating myself again, Cake Walk used to be "the" program. I ran it on a 386 computer back when having Prodigy was cool and the internet was a rumor!!1

That's how I remember it too, so we will both reveal our ages!

We were running a Tandy 80286!

It had a HUGE, never-to-be-filled-up 10Mg hard drive! (I think it cost like $4k)

Those were the days!

Just play

At the risk of sounding like a MacWeirdo, get yourself a Mac.  I tried several programs (Including Adobe Audition) to do home recording, and it was all just so complicated for a singer-songwriting-guitar-player-non-sound engineer. 
Two little words made my life so much easier: Garage Band. Not being in one, but recording with it. Comes free(!) on any new Apple computer with iLife. Yes, it's a bit simple, but it sounds to me like this chap just wants to get his songs recorded. In reality, it's not that limiting.  Depending on how much of your life you want to put into it, (and how much the wife lets you put into it) you can engineer a recording that even has other musicians giving you kudos on the 'production'.  Don't believe me? http://www.garageband.com/song?|pe1|S8LTM0LdsaSlYVmzZmw
(Yes, this is a little shameless self-plugging, but then would I be a musician if I didn't do it?)
Hardware to do this recording was: Toneport UX2, ($199.00) which you can replace with your BOSS BR 600, MXL 990 Condenser Microphone ($59.00) and a 1.5GHz Powerbook (you can find them used for $500-$700. Martin acoustic, Dean acoustic bass, G&L strat.  No amps, no effects racks.  I just used the effects in Garage Band.  Of course, each effect was customized, but it's easy to do, and you start off with a pretty good set of effects.  And I could go on and on, but let me add this disclaimer: I work at Apple. BUT, I didn't when I recorded this. And now I'm shutting up.

I just forgot this, look at the bottom of the page: "Best Production in Americana, week of 12Jun2006 "  So there.

That's the point. They present it as if it is SO SIMPLE, even my BOSS 600, I found a translation,
250 pages long. I HATE MANUALS, and, this is my nature, everything I'm hating or not interested, causes a lot of trouble and problems.
I even don't like to read books, and if I read: 200  pages = 2 hours, perfectly knowing and even reproducing that book. I am a "diagonal reader" who is very impatient. Of course I miss the "essence" of a lot of things, like having a floorboard, I use maybe 20% of the capacity. I am NOT in the mood since some weeks to play guitar. Since New Year, I don't play electric. Acoustic, slowly learning some finger picking, and playing maybe 15 minutes a day. The strange thing is, that I play a lot better comparing it with the play-time. Has somebody an explanation about this mysterious fact?

Oldnewbie wrote:
geoaguiar wrote:

That's how I remember it too, so we will both reveal our ages!

We were running a Tandy 80286!

It had a HUGE, never-to-be-filled-up 10Mg hard drive! (I think it cost like $4k)

Those were the days!

10 Mg... that'll last forever...and I'll copy everything to my 5.25" floppy drive so I'll never be outdated!!!!!!!

Elvis Costello