Topic: A/E upgrade purchase

I may be duplicating a previous post. If so, please direct me elsewhere, and accept my apologies. I looked but couldn't find anything.

My question:

How does someone (like me) who knows little about music, and even less about the Luthier business, choose a good instrument that won't break the bank and that will actually cure and improve with age as opposed to being a future badminton raquet?

I am interested in upgrading to a solid top, A/E, and have been looking at the Takamine G series (the Jumbo, in particular), but don't know why I like it or if it is even a good choice?

I have seen the Tanglewoods in a local shop, and on paper, it looks like more bang for the buck, but I am unfamiliar with the brand, and leary of purchasing an unknown.

It's purty... and it sounds pretty good to my amature ear, but I don't know about how long it will last. I don't have tons to spend on a guitar, but I am willing to buy a quality instrument, if I know I won't have to buy another one for a long time.

I want to spend my money on quality, not on adornments like fancy Mother-of-Pearl inlays and crap. I really don't care too much about what it looks like, as long as it sounds good, and will last a lifetime.

Any help?

Just play

Re: A/E upgrade purchase

I was in a similar boat but had decided to upgrade.  Check out this thread.  Some of it applies.  The bottom line is "let your ears be the judge". IMO that's a little overly simiplistic because I wanted to make sure that I at least bought a recognized brand also.  I suppose if that's being name conscious I guess I'm guilty, I just didn't want a guitar that nobady had ever heard of KWIM?

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6183

Yee Haw

Oldnewbie - the Tanglewoods have pretty good user reviews on HC

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi … Tanglewood

I'll have to make sure I look at that brand myself when I get ready buy. Thanks, I had never heard of them.

Like Ranger says - this question comes up frequently and the majority of advice is play everything you can get your hands on before you buy.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hey oldnewbie ,
  Have you considered looking at used stuff . Sometimes if you want something that won't give problems down the road , you might be better off . Like my bro. points out on guitars that are ten - fifteen years old " if the neck and soundboard have'nt warped or moved in that time , they aint gonna .
   Also don't buy anything based on their warranty , just
about anything that will go wrong with a guitar's structure or finish , can be blamed on humidity or lack of , and that's not covered anyway . It's too easy for the mfgs. to say that since it's been in your care , custody , and control , you have'nt taken proper care of it .
Just my two cents........

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Thanks for the input so far. I have been scouting e-bay for some good deals, and may go that route.

My biggest concern is being able to recognize a "good deal" when I see one. The problem with used (either e-bay or pawn shops) is that I don't think I would be able to spot a warped neck, or cracked whats-it or even a gnarled thing-a-clacker, and I could be easily duped. At least if there is something wrong with a new one out of the box, I can take it to my local shop for a refund/exchange.

any other thoughts?

Just play

Oldnewbie wrote:

Thanks for the input so far. I have been scouting e-bay for some good deals, and may go that route.

My biggest concern is being able to recognize a "good deal" when I see one. The problem with used (either e-bay or pawn shops) is that I don't think I would be able to spot a warped neck, or cracked whats-it or even a gnarled thing-a-clacker, and I could be easily duped. At least if there is something wrong with a new one out of the box, I can take it to my local shop for a refund/exchange.

any other thoughts?

Well the problem with Ebay is that it violates the "let your ears decide".  In fact there are many opinions BUT most are to play as many as you can.  A good rule of thumb regarding pricing on new guitars is to have the Musician's Friend or some other internet price handy and be sure that they are at least in the ball park.  Most shops recognize that they must compete with internet pricing.  Also, because you are newbie, you maybe more inclined to like a guitar that may surprise you. FOr example when I bought my ALvarez, I had done all my research and was sure I wnated a Yamaha.  I tried the Ymaha but as soon as I picked up the Alvarez it felt great particulrly in te neck and action and had a very rich sound.  Hey, nobody was more surprised than me.  But you've gotta gotta gotta touch them and hear them.  In terms of used guitar prices, I'm not sure if there is a rule of thumb.  Maybe somebody else can chime in on that.

Yee Haw

Well, concerning used guitars, my standard approach with e-bay is to go into the real world, and decide which one I want, and what the price range is, then find exactly that on ebay, hopefully less expensive.

I waded through your thread on this issue, and see that you certainly did some homework on the subject. I have been "considering" a purchase for months now, and I go into every shop I see (in and out of town) to play different makes. (That's how I discovered the Tanglewood). I have a good idea what sound I want, I just need to make sure I'm not buying a hunk of crap that will fall apart.

Thanks, again, for the link, and your input!

Just play

If you want an Electro-Acoustic I'd say to go with Tanglewood, they're basically the more expensive version of Cort (the current cort guitars used to be the cheap range of Tanglewoods), and the Cort ones are very good. A bit expensive for me but they sound great.

Oldnewbie ,
   When I mentioned used guitars , I certainly was'nt recommending E-bay . An expert can be taken for a ride there . Most larger music stores have nearly as many used as new and if you don't trust them to sell you a good used instrument , I would'nt trust them to sell you a good new one .
   Anyway , enjoy the search ,
sometimes the hunt is half the fun........Good luck.......

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

I do alot of buying, selling and trading of guitars both on ebay and locally. There's not many brands that I haven't tried at one time or anouther...lol Acoustic guitars at least. I don't dable too much in electrics yet. I have bought 30-35  on ebay and I've had only one bad experience. That was a warped neck on a '71 Gibson Jumbo. I was able to heat the neck and straighten it out though. Overall, I'd recommend ebay. Just don't be scarred to ask them straight out about the guitar. I usually ask 10-15 questions before a purchase and always request extra pics to be sent with close ups of my questioned areas. You're theory about finding one locally and then buying it from ebay...I'm sorry to say, really doesn't work to well. You'd be really surprised by the diffrence in tone beween the same models. While some brands are more consistent than others, there will always be diffrences even in the same models. I'm not trying to discourage you from buying it online, I just wanted to make you aware that the one you order may not sound the exact same as the one you played in the store. I'd be happy to offer up some suggestions. If you don't mind me asking, What price range are you looking at? So I'll know better what to recommend. I have a few sellers that I purchase from ,fairly regularly, that have been excellent to deal with. I'd be glad to pass on a link to their ebay stores if you'd like... Don't be scared of the little known brands! There is a tremendous amount of value to be found there if you know where to look. The key is just to ask around and research them! Also, remember electronics can always be added if you find a great deal on a straight up acoustic. Actually I prefer to mic mine instead of plugging in at all but that's just me. I don't like the  controls mounted in the side of a guitar. IMO the only hole that should be in the side of a guitar is possibly a soundport...lol Best of luck in your search!! Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks, again, Pix.

I think I want to stay in the $500-$600 range, but  will buy the write box when I find it, but I certainly won't approach the $1,000 mark, as I am married to a very frugal woman, and I enjoy sleeping indoors. smile

At the moment, I am feeling out the various options in my range, and know that when I decide, it will take some saving to make the purchase. (probably will be purchasing in the late spring, early summer.)

Please let me know if I am whistling dixie, thinking I can get a decent instrument for this amount. I am happy with my Jasmine, and am only looking to go A/E, but don't want to buy another laminated-top guitar. If I have to save more, and for a longe period, I will do that, as I say, I am in no rush.

I really appreciate everyone's input. Very informative.

Just play

Oldnewbie wrote:

Thanks, again, Pix.

I think I want to stay in the $500-$600 range, but  will buy the write box when I find it, but I certainly won't approach the $1,000 mark, as I am married to a very frugal woman, and I enjoy sleeping indoors. smile

At the moment, I am feeling out the various options in my range, and know that when I decide, it will take some saving to make the purchase. (probably will be purchasing in the late spring, early summer.)

Please let me know if I am whistling dixie, thinking I can get a decent instrument for this amount. I am happy with my Jasmine, and am only looking to go A/E, but don't want to buy another laminated-top guitar. If I have to save more, and for a longe period, I will do that, as I say, I am in no rush.

I really appreciate everyone's input. Very informative.

Man for $500-$600 you can easily come across an excellent all solid wood acoustic. My first stop would be to look into the epiphone masterbuilts. An outstanding value! Also check out the Simon and Patricks. If you can find a showcase or pro model used I think you'd be really happy. I've picked up a couple of those and wouldn't part with them for anything! I think the most I payed for one was $300 including shipping smile Seagulls are really great also! You can even pick up a solid wood martin used for that price range! So many choices...lol Garrison guitars (highly recommended) Some yairis and alvarezs, Ibanez (they have some really great acoustic electrics IMO) And of course your Takamines. I'll stop there...lol there's just so many great ones in that range. Of course these are just ideas...Only you can decide what's right for you! Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Awesome.

I had thought that I was cheap-skating it, but from your response, I feel like I am right in the ballpark.

My buddy got a Seagull, and it was a lot of guitar for the money, but I wasn't crazy about the sound. I have tried a few Takamines, and may go with a G Series. (I haven't seen anything terrible about them).

You bring up some brands that I hadn't considered, or even heard of. the Guitar Center near me has some Epiphones, maybe I will check them out too.

Looks like I have some sampling to do! (This is the fun part! I might stop on the way home...)

Just play

Oldnewbie wrote:

Awesome.

I had thought that I was cheap-skating it, but from your response, I feel like I am right in the ballpark.

My buddy got a Seagull, and it was a lot of guitar for the money, but I wasn't crazy about the sound. I have tried a few Takamines, and may go with a G Series. (I haven't seen anything terrible about them).

You bring up some brands that I hadn't considered, or even heard of. the Guitar Center near me has some Epiphones, maybe I will check them out too.

Looks like I have some sampling to do! (This is the fun part! I might stop on the way home...)

You can see some of the ones mentioned in my signature if your interested in how they look. Most of what I have pictured there I picked up well below your price range. Even the seagull artist studio rosewood I found for only $650 new and they sell at musicians friend for about $1100.  These are the ones that I keep for myself...so obviously, they are what I consider to be great values on wonderfull instruments (for the money).

15 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-07 01:26:28)

Man, that Garrison G-20 is beautiful. I love the minimalist, simplistic approach. Very nice. Looks like a satin finish? That's what mine has, and I love it.

Thanks for the pics. Nice collection you have there.

Just play

Oldnewbie, I play a Takamine solid top Jumbo G series electric / acoustic and have had a lotta good comments about it. I play it thru a Roland AC60 acoustic amp and the sound is outstanding. The other nite a group of us was all playing and one of the better players asked if could play my guitar for awhile because it sounded so good. We swapped guitars - him with my Tamamine, me with his $2000.00 Martin. After we played a few songs we swapped amps and that was what making my Tak sound better than the Martin. But both of us agreed the $700.00 Tak sound was as good as the (that) Martin. If you get one I believe u will be happy BUT do get a acoustic amp.

Nela

I have been eye-balling that exact guitar at my local shop.  Man it sounds good.

Do you think it is "structurally" sound? I know the sound is great, but do you think it is well built?

Just play

I think my guy has it for around $650.

Just play

I believe it to be well made and I think, for the price, the sound is better than you could expect. Again, a good acoustic amp will only improve what you hear. You mention that your guy has it for around $650.00 - ask if that is with or without a case. I paid just over $700.00 for mine  but that included a case.

If you do buy the Jumbo Takamine be sure to check the action. Mine really plays good but now I'm ready for the next step. I plan to "BONE" my guitar in the very near future. By this I mean I'll be changing out the plastic "Nut" and "Bridge" for either "Bone" of "Marta" which is a harder material. Added to this the action will be tweaked even more. I've played a couple of acoustic' that have had this done and it amazes me on how easy they play. Now I'm not into all the beating and banging that goes with HOT lead licks and riffs - I tend to stick with playing rythem and want a sound that blends everything together. But that's just me.

Nela

Oldnewbie, with the Jumbo Takamine acoustic I first decided I wanted the guitar because:

1.   I was recommended to me by a couple of other players who them.

2.   After playing several guitars in the price range I wanted to spend it had the best sound to me.

3.   It played real easy.

4.   I thought the "Flamed Maple" sides and back were second to none.

5.   I went through all the Takamine guitars the store had and bought the one with the most detail with the "Flamed Maple.

6.   I have had many people tell me the wood detail was "Outstanding".

Nela

Nela,

Thanks for all the info!

I think I'd rather have a plain, satin finish, but that guitar is purty!

I like the sound and the one at my local shop seems to play nice.

I have heard of other people "boning" their guitars, and I have questions:

1. How much does it cost (can I do it myself?)

2. How does it affect the sound and/or playability?

I really appreciate your input. It is always good to talk to someone who actually owns one. The more I see and hear, the more I am leaning towards this guitar.

Thanks, again!

Just play

I owm a Takamine EG561C. I can't say enough nice things about. It plays like dream. Not a jumbo but great sounding and reasonable 400.00 or so. I've had it a couple of years and no regrets. All good advice above.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Thanks for the input, geoaguiar.

My current is a "Jasmine" by Takamine, and I think it is a good quality instrument, for the price (about $150?). The enjoyment I have gotten from it has made me look to Takamines first. 

Although, there are some other great sounding guitars out there...

Just play

Not sure of the exact cost to "BONE" a guitar but I've been told that a quality job and set-up with new strings would be around $100.00. I have not had this done yet but have played a couple of guitars that had this work and they played SWEET. But just like most men we gotta tweek something. Shoot, I got a neighbor who would modify a pair of fingernail clippers if he thought he could get more speed from them.

Nela

Email sent!