Topic: Silk & Steel

Zowie!  I've been trying different strings on my Yamaha F310.  It's an entry level Yamaha steel string folk style guitar.  Not full dreadnaught, not quite as small as a concert body.  Anyway, the way it came was WAAAAAAY too tinny sounding for me.  So I've been trying to warm it up.  I started with replacing the string pegs with wood ones rather than plastic.  That helped some.  Then I started trying different strings.  That changes a lot.  Straight steel strings, bluck.  Some may like it that bright.  I don't.  So I tried phospher bronze.  Much nicer.  They make my fingers smell like I've been playing with pennies, but they sound good.  Now I've got some D'Addario Silk and Steel on.  They are designed for fingerpicking, which is how I mostly play.  WOW!  What a nice tone and a nice feel.  They are VERY LOUD STRINGS.  When I strum, I'm using the thinnest pick I've got and it sounds like I'm amplified.  When I pick, very nice clarity and warm tone.  I'll see how the life is.  Steel strings have had a very poor life for me, but maybe these will be better.  Hard to say.  They're kind of pricey for steel strings (I paid $8 for the set at a local shop, on-line is cheaper but I have to cover shipping so doesn't make sense unless I decide to go bulk). 

Just some random string thoughts. 

I've got a set of nano-web coated strings from Gore in reserve for when I run out of D'Addario strings.  All strings tried so far have been D'Addario.  They've always done well by me on my basses and violin, so I saw no reason to switch.  Plus I want a player's points hat, and I'm just shallow enough to save points for it. 

All strings have been in "light" gauge, though if the steel and silk are available in xtra light, I may try that to see if it makes them not so loud.  Or maybe with my voice I should bump up to medium!

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Silk & Steel

zurf i have used silk n steel for over ten years mine are made by martin and i love the sound and feel i am hooked on them

"Growing old is not for sissies"