Re: Jelly and Biscuits ?

While we are on the subject...:) Could someone from USA please tell me what 'POTROAST" is?  I have heard it many times on TV but I am not familer with what it is.
Thank you

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

Don Corleone ,
    Potroast in the USA is simply, meat, potatoes, carrott, onions, and celery all cooked together in one big pot. Sometimes an electric slow cooker ( oft called crock pot) is used. The meat, most people use beef, is browned before placing it in the pot. Then comes the personalizing of the dish with the chef/creators seasonings of choice added in with the meat and vegetables. The aroma from a good potroast will draw hungry family members and friends from miles away!

Give everything but up.

Now it's on to Potroast! This topic won't die. Here is my installment:

I read a lot of posts on this forum and contribute occasionally. But once I get to this particular topic, and read the recipes, I get hungry on a regular basis. So, here is my mystery culinary word for the day: Does anyone know what a BLT is? I swear it's an American thing, and I just had one for dinner.

Come on Old Doll, New Zealand, Australia, Antarctica! Any ideas? No, it's not "Beans with Lentils and Terrapin Soup". 

Play on!

Tennessee Strat,

How could you! Im gaining lbs just reading this topic. Southpaws answer on Pot roast sounds like a stew to me. They do sell big rounds of meat here as pot roast. But i always found, id need teeth like a stallion to chew it. I prefer
the meat cubed with thoses ingredients.

Now BLT! Oh My God! I to prefer this sometimes instead of dinner.

Lovely big fresh bread roll.
Layers of salads {greens}
layers of scrumptious irish bacon {fried in butter}
Grilled thick slices of beef tomatoes
Mayo { Im alergic to } so i have to use some other dressing.
One huge mug of tea. ahhhhhhhhhhhh better then sex that one is!
Did i really write that:lol: Ah im definitely getting old.

Tennessee, try the same theme, with lettuce ,bacon, brie or goats cheese
redcurrant or cranberry relish. Im off now to eat the fridge lol
May God and his blessed Mother forgive you for reminding me of this at this hour!! Ill have a dose of the munchies all of this very day.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Goats cheese? that sounds ba-a-ah-a-ah-a-ah-a-ah-bad(that's supposed to be the sound a goat makes!?!?!?) Sorry, I couldn't resist.
BLT's kick butt!
Old Doll, your first description immediately made me stomach growl upon reading. I too am off to the kitchen! Where's my dang fryin' pan?

Give everything but up.

Old Doll wrote:

Tennessee Strat,

Lovely big fresh bread roll.
Layers of salads {greens}
layers of scrumptious irish bacon {fried in butter}
Grilled thick slices of beef tomatoes
Mayo { Im alergic to } so i have to use some other dressing.
One huge mug of tea. ahhhhhhhhhhhh better then sex that one is!
Did i really write that:lol: Ah im definitely getting old.

Old Doll.

Doll!

You forgot to top it off with a lovely fried egg, runny yolk and a dash of pepper!

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

Bonedaddy!

That has to be a Uk Version. Never had a runny egg on one.
We would call that a breakfast roll. without the greens.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=KHxcOxUdmL4

I thought you'd have moved to Bucks Fizz for brekkie! Being a Star like. lol

Sunbeams around your door today Darlin.

Old Doll.

BLT---Virginia version:

2 slices of whole wheat bread (not that white stuff)

Dukes mayonaise spread on each slice of bread. (Hellman's mayo if you can't find Dukes. And definitly not low fat)

Home grown tomato (sliced somewhat less than 1/4 inch). Store bought tomatos are just not flavorful enough.

3 or 4 slices of fried bacon. (I prefer the maple flavored Hormel brand)

Fresh lettuce. Nice Romaine is better than iceberg.

Option: sliced onion.

Accompany this with a glass of iced tea.

You know this sandwich is real good, if the mayonaise and tomato juicies run down your hands and onto your forearm.

Ummmmmm Good. Great summertime faire.

34 (edited by Tennessee Strat 2008-02-06 22:16:25)

rdot01:
Summertime? I just ate one yesterday (Middle of Tennessee Winter) -I ain't kidding!
rdot01 mentions iced tea!

Wow, you must be a Southerner...I'll top that with a variety of iced tea  "Sun Tea": fill a pitcher with fresh water, add a few teabags, and let that sit in the hot sun for an afternoon. Add sugar. I guess, electricity came to these parts relatively late, so we still know how to make do with free natural energy, and how to build our own instruments. You wouldn't believe how many Tennesseans are building guitars and banjos for a living! ...and then they eat. Now, let's see what other musical recipes we can discuss.

Play on, Cook on!

Tennessee Strats,

Tell us about one of your local favourites dishes Please. you know an old
well used one!

I may be able to try it here. When i peel my A## away from chordie. lol

Old Doll.

OKay guys since the question I asked a few days ago I have been DREAMING of Southpaws pot roast.  I can Smell it !  When I get back to New Zealand I am going to cook me up ONE Big potroast.  Here in Samoa it is very hard to find Potatoes and beef is very, very expensive.  So I shall wait to get back where the prices are cheap.
Thank you SouthPaw.
All these meals sound great.  I must've lived a sheltered life, cos I haven't heard of many of these dishes.
Okay, so I am off now to have myself a fresh banana and cabin bread.
Bye smile

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

Old Doll, how do you peel your A**? Never seen or heard of this, before. Does it hurt? After the peeling do you prefer butter or whipped cream?

Nela

Now don't forget the GOOD OLE FASHION U S of A GEE-N-U-WINE

HOT DOG
with mayo
ONIONS
mustard
a good ole wennie
ONIONS
chillie
ONIONS
sweet pickle relish
all on a bun

Nela

And the crawfish are just now coming in season, here.

Nela

38 (edited by badeye 2008-02-08 12:08:27)

Here in eastern Canada we like a dish called Corned Beef
and Cabbage. It consists of Corned Beef, Cabbage, Potatoes
Carrots,and Turnip. Local stores sell corned beef and you soak it for a day to rid it of salt. You cut the veggies to a large size and boil all together for about 45 minutes putting the potatoes in for the last 25 minutes. Drain and serve with
sweet mustard pickles. The next day you can cut it smaller and fry it in pan for what is called corned beef hash. Its one of my favorite dishes to eat. Put the corned beef on for 20 minutes to boil before adding the veggies. Some people call
it Boiled Dinner. Resturants have it as a special once a week and you gotta get there early because it sells out real fast.
  Its early in the morning here and have the craving for it just typing about it.

B L T- bacon, lettuce, tomato on toasted bread.

Good Eating..... Badeye.

one caper after another

Hows you me ould flower!

Good old corned beef and cabbage! Very Irish dish you know. Or ham and cabbage with bread sauce. Yum.
Did ya ever try Dublin Coddle? Great stuff puts hairs on your chest and muscles on you piddle as they say here.

Im just having a cuppa here myself. could do with a B,L,T.

Badeye would ya ever explain to Nela how a woman peels her A## off a chair.

I know you can do this ! lol.

Them hot dog things? god are the real meat or what?
Superquinns sausages
and add those trimmings delish.  Are hot dogs not German? Or ami geographicly {sp} disorientated with hunger:lol:.

Old Doll.

Morning to you Old Doll. To peel your a@# you just get up and do something, anything. Remember there is a difference
in scratching you A%& and ripping the skin off. he he.If we knew how hot dogs were made we would never eat them.
Lots of killing floor by products in those dogs.

Your B L T is ready... Badeye.

one caper after another

Any of ya'll ever partaken of some old fashioned Hogs Head Cheese. This ain't a by product of milk, now.

Nela

Hi Doncorleone Sir!

Hows the GGes doing for ya! Are ya winning loads of dosh?

Will you tell me what cabin bread is please? And

Is the weather only gorgeous there or what?

Old Doll.

Nela!

They sell a product here called "Brawn! In the pork butcher shops.
Its made as far as i know from pigs cheek, with out the brains. It was eaten a lot with the famous black drink here.
For years  I used to meet my Mam in town in a real old part of Dublin, callled Thomas Street. { Where Guinness Brewery is}

Well  in this area there were great pork butcher shops. Family owned. They all used there long held secret recipes for there own brawn.  I used buy brawn and eat it as we meandered the shops.
Its certainly not everyones taste . Very few i know here eat it!
is it the same i wonder as hogs cheese?

Ps, while im here. Diago/ Guinness, Shame on you and our planners for allowing the  beautiful 18th Century buildings around Thomas Street and Guinness Brewery to decay. How can you allow your name to be synonymous
with this kind of decay.
You should be forced to use Some of Your profits of 1,31 Billion last year
to repair our rapidly dying heritage. Our visitors to Guinness have to look at this appalling mess happening in  The once ornate thriving Thomas Street area.
Every single one of you need a good kick up the Jacksey for allowing this to happen.

Brains? before Brawn? I ask ya!

Old Doll.

I missed this first time round, so I am adding my late post now lol

I will always see Jelly as jelly as in the wobbly jelly stuff that americans call Jello.
Biscuits will always be biscuits as in digestives, custard creams even choc chip cookies are biscuits here.

What I want to know is why do Americans have different names for things when they were called biscuits before all those nations settled on american land.
And chips will always be chip and not french fries. And crips will be crisps and not chips.

And why did we have to get our beloved "MARATHON " bars changed to SNICKERS to go in line with everyone else?
and not just things you eat, Oil of Ulay is now known as ???????? whatever they called it.

next they will change the name of a MARS bar to JUPITER lol

and I never call tomato sauce "ketchup" it is tomato sauce, always has been always will lol

and why pronounce it "to- mae- to"?  it is "to- matto" always has been always will be lol

and why do I have to go on and on?

ye even call alluminium slightly different. Is it Allumium or something like that? lol it is alluminium, always has been always .....

lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

UYK,

You go on and on and on and on, because your a chatterbox like your

Irish Ma!  Also now i know whose using all my oil of Olay.

And finally, the right answer... Due to copyright difficulties, Olay was called by four different names, depending on the area of the world; Oil of Olay in America, Oil of Ulay in the U.K. and some of Europe, Oil of Ulag in other parts, and finally, Oil of Ulaz in the rest! All of the copyrights ran out last autumn, and the company was able to standardise worldwide to the true name of the brand... Oil of Olay.

Delighted this brought out your feminine side Son. Now arn't ya only delire
an excire i know dis?

Stick to the Uisce { water! None better for keeping your delicate skin supple.

never use water with whiskey though. This mix is only for wusses Son!.:lol:

Your Ma.

46 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-09 15:57:31)

upyerkilt wrote:

And why did we have to get our beloved "MARATHON " bars changed to SNICKERS to go in line with everyone else?
and not just things you eat, Oil of Ulay is now known as ???????? whatever they called it.

and I never call tomato sauce "ketchup" it is tomato sauce, always has been always will lol

and why pronounce it "to- mae- to"?  it is "to- matto" always has been always will be lol

ye even call alluminium slightly different. Is it Allumium or something like that? lol it is alluminium, always has been always .....
Ken

Okay... (so many inequities to rectify here, where do I start?) smile big_smile

First - The Marathon bar was nothing like a snickers. It was a lump of caramel covered with chocolate. Called "Marathon" because it took a long time to eat one.

Second - Ketchup is a sugary, nauseating blend of tomato (say it with me, "Toe-May-Toe") and spices. Not "tomato sauce". Tomato sauce is what is used to make spaghetti sauce and pizza. If ketchup (or Catsup) were ever used for this, the perpetrator should be drug into the street and shot.:)

Next - A-l-u-m-i-n-u-m.  That is the appropriate way to spell this word. It is pronounced "Al-oo-min-um". Your version, aluminium, is a "British Variation". smile

Also - Why must folks put unnecessary and useless letters into perfectly good words? Examples are "catalog" (why catalogue?) and "color" (not colour). This only serves to alienate and confuse the Americans (which isn't very difficult). smile

We are a simple folk. I think that we Americans have simplified our language because we realize that there is little chance the Queen might pop in for a crumpet at high tea, so why worry with all the high-sounding rhetoric? big_smile

Our biggest concerns were not dying of malnutrition or disease, and being able to communicate with the Native Americans while we weren't killing them, while the Brits were worried about soiling their ascots with a bit 'o Earl Gray, and what were those infernal colonists up to now? smile

Now that we have this all figured out, we Americans will continue to bastardize and hack up any language we can get our hands on to fit into our narrow, but accurate, view of our world! wink

smile

We're like that, you know!
big_smile

(Note: As mood, inflection, and temperment cannot be transmitted via a text post, the liberal usage of smiley faces is indicative of the jestive, humorous, and inoffensive intent of this message!)  smile big_smile smile

Just play

lol
oldnewbie I am finding myself agreeing on a few things, not all but a few.
Why do we spell catalogue as we do? it looks more french!
Why do we have to have the letter U after the Q all the time?

the letter U is not really needed in the language at all, or langwage but then how would we spell putter? lol

and what is it with all these silent letters? like philosophy? why not filosoffy?

and why od we have to have a name for jelly/jello, why not just lengthen the name and call it " the wobbly stuff" lol

i could go on all night with this.

but, the marathon that was in the UK was the exact same as a snickers, just a different name. Americans might have had a version of marathon that was or is like you describe but not what we had.

oh yeah and i took no offence at all in any of your reply. lol ( they are great arent they)

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

points well taken, UYK.

I am glad you didn't start throwing rotten to-mah-tos at me!

Maybe we should all just speak Esperanto - much less confusing. A very precise and logical language!

Just play