1 (edited by daveey 2008-02-04 06:49:55)

Topic: stickers on guitars ?

Hi everyone firstly i would like to thank the people who made and run this most wonderful site it is as tina turner would say "simply the best" so thanks from the bottom of my heart i have attempted to learn the guitar on numerous times over the last 18 years much like trying to quit smoking i have always failed sad but since finding your site and registering i am now doing better than i ever thought i could and also many thanks to all the members to.

Right now to my question it might seem blataintly obvious but i am curious as what people have to say, right i have just purchased another acoustic guitar gave up learning on my strat got no where, sorry i am digressing , right is it ok to put stickers on the guitar body or do they some how affect the tone and sound in any way, i mean i have seen pro musicians with stickers and all sorts on theirs but was just wondering if thetre is any effect apart from cosmetic, cheers and thanks for the best site in the world.  smile

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

Re: stickers on guitars ?

on an accustic it might deaden the sound somewhat because the accustic gets its sound from the resonation of the wood and stickers could effect it somewhat and if you plan on keeping it it wont matter till you want to sell it or trade it in it might me a little tough getting the stickers off,stickers wont make you sound better but if it give you emotional security plaster it

"Growing old is not for sissies"

stickers???

You mean self adhesive labels, dont you? lol lol
(sorry, I work in a printers that print "stickers" and they hate that term, they always call them self adhesive labels)

welcome to chordie by the way
and my thoughts on stickers on guitars are the same as Russell's.

it could change the tone but maybe no one would notice.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Stickers on guitars, mmm this is a touchy, controversial  subject  but I'll express my opinion. Stickers on guitars are there pretty much for one reason, to draw attention to the person with said instrument. Many will say stickers are a tool of individual expression and freedom of speech. And they're right, but they're still objects of visual, I'll repeat that, visual, enhancement. Although appearance is a condition of acceptance in  most genres of music the main draw to music is the sound, the audio. Draw attention to yourself by the sounds that come from your instrument, not the sticky, multi-colored paper on them.

Give everything but up.

5 (edited by arkady 2008-02-04 20:05:08)

Stickers on Guitars (Sorry UYK Adhesive labels I should know I sometimes have to print the blasted things)
are like go faster stripes on your basic Ford nice to look at but they don't make it go any faster.
or in guitar's case (no pun) sound better..... or worse unless you plaster them everywhere.
Ark

thanks guys for your advice greatly appreciated, i just wanted to put a save the whales sticker on and possibly a eels sticker, but i think i need to , so the stickers draw attention from my terrible playing smile no seriously i think i will leave the guitar as it is many thanks and thanks for a awesome site cheers

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I have plastered my guitar case with stickers.

Gets it out of my system, and doesn't clutter up my guitar.

Just play

Personally I like the look of a well cared for instrument what ever it is. Anything that is added to an acoustic instrument will effect its sound. If you are in a recording studio before and after you add stickers (yes the common term for self adhesive mini advertisements) you may hear the difference. To the human ear, as stated before, you won't hear any difference and after a while you will adapt to the sound if you do. If you have stickers that have great meaning or a personal connection put them on your guitar case and set it up where you play so all can see. Either way have fun and play for the thrill of making your own music .

sticks