Topic: guitar newbie question

Hello, just wanted to first say that I love this website.  Anyway, I am trying to teach myself to play some Beatles, Stones, etc. (classic rock) on my acoustic guitar.  Am I correct in saying that tabs are more for picking individual notes, or lead guitar, while chords (like most of the songs on this site) are more for rhythm guitar.  And then do you just strum with the basic beat of the song?  I have found myself wanting to strum with each syllable, which I know isn't right...Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: guitar newbie question

hi wight4256 and welcome to chordie!

It sounds like you got right regarding chords and tabs, so you are well on your way! Regarding strumming patterns, I find it best to listen to the song (usually over and over...) and get a feel for the rhythm and pattern used. I also find it handy to search you tube for decent covers and see how they are strummed. Good Luck!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I agree with topdown on the strumming with the song (let it play in the background with your chordie chords up and then just strum with the song, let them sing it at first) and YouTube covers can help you see the way most people play it, which is usually the easiest way.

I also find that certain songs it'll take me a whole verse of off-beat strums before I somehow find the strum pattern. So if you just keep going, you can find a strum timing that works with the song, even if it's not exactly what they actually play.

Yep.  So long as it's recognizable, and even if it isn't and still sounds OK to you, you don't need to play note for note.  If you do want to play note for note, look to the tabs.  If you just want to play a song that you like in a way that you like, look to the chords and maybe use the tabs to pick up some of the 'signature' riffs to work into your version.  Of course, signature riffs can be strummed too.  Think of "Sundown" by Gordon Lightfoot for what I mean.  The upstrummed rhythm riff at the beginning is immediately identifiable. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude